hkg_clk

What Equipment To Bring When Plane Spotting?

Tue Jan 16, 2001 5:57 pm

What are the things people usually bring when plane spotting. A camera of course, but what kind/type is the most suitable that's not too expensive. What else is necessary?

See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

RE: What Equipment To Bring When Plane Spotting?

Tue Jan 16, 2001 6:06 pm

Surely this is a hobby request and should not be in this forum!!!

LBA

Tue Jan 16, 2001 6:50 pm

Scanner, binoculars and at this time of year in the UK a big coat and scarf!

YFE

Tue Jan 16, 2001 7:35 pm

I use a radio scanner ,a camera, a plane reg. book and a book with technical information about all the planes in civel service.

Greetings Yvo

modesto2

Wed Jan 17, 2001 4:21 am

Camera, binoculars and food!

englandair

Wed Jan 17, 2001 6:08 am

Where can I get a radio scanner from and roughly how much do decent ones start at (in £/GBPs if possible)?

Cheers,
Jamie.

flyf15

Wed Jan 17, 2001 6:15 am

Scanner, 2 to 4 still cameras, 0 to 2 video cameras, binoculars, food and drink, cell phone, books, pen and paper, and plenty of film!

Thu Jan 18, 2001 11:44 am

Sunscreen and a lawn chair.
Have fun!

Jeff in PHX

Rotate777

Thu Jan 18, 2001 1:37 pm

A camera with zoom (SLR), binoculars, pencil + paper for jotting interesting stuff down (regs), bottle of water, snack or something, airband scanner, and if it is sunny you will need tons of sunblock!

Thu Jan 18, 2001 6:06 pm

I must have been wrong about this topic appearing in this forum as everyone else has offered their opinions.

I purchased a scanner from ???(Can't remember the name of the shop) the enthusiasts shop at East Midlands airport. It cost about £120 and the guy that runs the place was very helpful. Another good place is Swinburns at BHX airport. As you live close to London there used to be a Lowe Electronics in Ruislip but I haven't been there for ages. Also MachIII at LHR have a range of radios.

Bear in mind there are talks of the frequency spacing being changed so any radio you buy should be able to handle this.

Good luck

hkg_clk

Sun Jan 21, 2001 11:39 pm

Thanks for all the advice. As for which forum to use, I didn't think that the hobbies forum was the most suitable after having a look at the other posts.

Regarding the frequency spacing change, what's this, what do I have to look out for?
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

cfalk

Mon Jan 22, 2001 12:11 am

There are tons of scanners around. If you cannot find an aviation hobby store, try finding a marine hobby shop - they also use scanners. That's where I got mine.

If you live in the U.K., here's a site which has a lot of them for sale.

http://www.javiation.co.uk/

I've found cheaper ones too. Try going to the web sites of the manufacturers, like Uniden.

Each airport uses a number of different frequencies. Here are all those used in Geneva:

- Tower : 118.700 / 119.900
- Delivery : 121.900
- Taxi : 121.750
- Departure: 121.300
- Arrival : 131.325
- Final : 120.300
- Terminal : 119.525
- Radar : 134.020 / 125.550 .......
128.900 (Radar Sector East)

Depending what I am trying to capture, I usually try to listen to the Tower, Arrival, and Taxi frequencies. Tower gives departure and landing clearances, Arrival is when the planes are still 5 to 15 minutes out (gives you advance warning if a plane you are looking for is coming and you are not in position), and Taxi is good for the same but for departing aircraft. Delivery is the frequency they use for start-up clearance, so that can be useful when you are sitting at home waiting for a certain plane to leave (granted - better live close to the airport!)

So having a scanner that can scan 2 or 3 channels cleanly (without clipping) is pretty important. I had a bearcat which was very good at this, at least until I broke it.

Secondly, beware of scanners where they put cheap speakers. You won't understand a thing unless you use an earpiece. A nice, good speaker can't cost them more than a couple of bucks, but they insist on putting in these cheesy 50 cent speakers. While the tiny pocket scanners are nice and portable, you'll have to use an earpiece, but if you don't mind carrying something bigger, test the speaker, and keep in mind that you won't be in a quiet shop, but outdoors with jets running around.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

englandair

Mon Jan 22, 2001 12:42 am

Thanks alot Cfalk and Weexplorer.