London To Berlin - Why Only BA And Buzz?

Fri Jan 19, 2001 10:40 pm

I've just been checking out the direct flights between London and Berlin. For some reason only BA and Buzz operate this route. Does anyone know why Lufthansa doesn't. I know Interflug used to years ago but they got absorbed into Lufthansa didn't they ?

Parr

gardermoen

RE: London To Berlin - Why Only BA And Buzz?

Fri Jan 19, 2001 10:55 pm

I was wondering the same thing myself. When I was planning my London-Berlin trip laste easter I was surprised to find out LH do not provide a direct link - capital city to capital city, very strange. Only BA and Buzz have flights. I did chose LH anyway, I had to change at Dusseldorf on the way, and on my return in Frankfurt.
It seems ridiculous for LH not to have such a service. A twice daily 737/320 service atleast, or even British Midland could operate the service and codeshare with LH(like they do on most UK-germany services). Seeing as there are direct services from most other main German cities(Hamburg, Dusseldorf, Munich, Stuttgaert, Frankfurt, Hannover etc) I think Berlin definetly needs an LH link to heathrow.

shankly

Fri Jan 19, 2001 11:20 pm

Well, there used to be.

In I think 1996 I flew London City - Berlin with a German airline called Contiflug, who I believe are now not in existance. Tis strange about LH though.
L1011 - P F M

Krushny

Sat Jan 20, 2001 12:24 am

Prior to the reunification, I think that only airlines from the three occupying powers (UK, USA, France) could fly to West Berlin. I suppose that since then LH started to build an adequate route coverage from Berlin, but it still looks to me too much time 12 years to establish a direct flight to London.

lxlgu

Sat Jan 20, 2001 12:59 am

Hey everyone-
Effective 25 March Lufthansa will inaugurate
service with the ARJ Jet LONDON CITY TEGEL
Sundays-2 x daily
Saturdays 1x daily
Weekdays 3 x daily
Flying time LON BER 1H 55 MIN
BER LON 2H

Makes sense as LCY is such an easy airport-close
to the financial district

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos