Patrick_L
Topic Author

Sidestick Or Conventional? What You Like More?

Tue Jan 23, 2001 5:53 am

Hi all !
I just read the post about the climb performance of teh 330 and many people wrote something about the flight control! What do you think is better ? The conventional control or the sidestick ? My Uncle flys the 330 and he told me that its very annoying after 30 years on Boeing to get used to an Airbus sidestick ! Whats very disturbing is that if you move the sidestick around quickly the computer will response very late and not as sensible ? ???
Whats your opinion ? Tell me please

Greetings

Patrick !

DeltaSFO

RE: Sidestick Or Conventional? What You Like More?

Tue Jan 23, 2001 5:55 am

All that matters is what you are used to. I know a guy who has flown nothing but Airbus the last 7 years. He likes sidestick.

I know lots of Delta pilots that will not touch anything that doesn't have a yoke.

DeltaSFO
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

JETPILOT

Tue Jan 23, 2001 6:46 am

I like flying the sidestick better it frees up the cockpit, and gives a clear view of your instruments. In the 727 the stick blocks your view of the HSI. You have to move your head and look around the control column during approaches which is very annoying.

However I enjoy Boeings approach to flybywire much better making the pilot the number one decision maker and giving him free reign over control of the airplane.

But there is no comparison. The sidestick is better.

Put the sidestick in the Boeing or the Boeing FBW system in the Airbus and you have a winner.

JET

Soku39

Tue Jan 23, 2001 8:35 am

I have seen a few shows on this and there are a few pilots that don't like sidescticks due to the fact that they dont move with the autopilot. So if you turn around and talk to say a FA you can't feel the joystick moving. where as with the yolk you can "feel" everything the plane is doing. Avery small factor since there is two pilots but some of them don't like it.  Big thumbs up
The Ohio Player