Air Taiwan
Topic Author

Star Alliance Australia To South America

Tue Jan 23, 2001 5:25 pm

Hi,
Just wondering, is there any star alliance airlines fly from Australia (presumeably Sydney) to any of the south american cities (Lima, Santiago, Rio, Sao Paulo etc...) Thanks for the help.

Regards

lima

RE: Star Alliance Australia To South America

Tue Jan 23, 2001 5:51 pm

United Airlines via Los Angeles. Very long and maybe more expensive but if you are for the miles...

gardermoen

Tue Jan 23, 2001 5:51 pm

No - the only direct flights are with Aerolineas Argentinas and Qantas, they each fly Sydney-Auckland-Buenos Aires twice a week. The only possible Star Alliance route will be flying Air New Zealand from Sydney to Papeete via Auckland, and then connecting with a oneworld Lan Chile service onwards to Santiago.
I think its high time Star got some footing in this part of the world , this will really complete the round-the-world route. Id say if/when Air NZ gets some new long haul jets, they can easily do an Auckland-Rio service to feed into Varigs network.

Rafabozzolla

Tue Jan 23, 2001 11:13 pm

Sydney-Aukland-Sao Paulo you mean.
Rio has one third the traffic that Sao Paulo has.

Of toppic but I cant help.
Why most people think Rio is Brazil's main city and has the biggest airport?

LatinPlane

Rafabozzolla

Wed Jan 24, 2001 3:17 am

Hi Rafabozzolla,

People not too close or associated with Latin America, and even living in other countries in S. America associate Brazil with Rio de Janeiro. When Brazil comes into mind so does Copacabana and and the large statue of Jesus Christ.

I don't mean to sound dumb, but wasn't Rio de Capital of Brazil before Brasilia was created?(Most people wouldn't know that) Interesting enough, Rio was once the Capital of Portugal during a certain time.

Best regards,
Apollo Diaz
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

johnboy

Wed Jan 24, 2001 9:11 am

I agree. Everybody knows about Rio, as it's the prime tourist destination for Brazil (at least for foreigners). Not to mention numerous movies, songs, etc. I would hazard a guess that most people in America couldn't even name another Brazilian city! Sad but true.

I've never even been to Brazil, but I could name several tourist destinations in Rio. As God is my witness, I can't think of a single identifying trait of Sao Paulo--except traffic, dirt, pollution and skyscrapers. Sorry but that's the picture "promoted" by the city.