archie

Pilot Seniority

Wed Jan 24, 2001 9:32 am

Hello,
I have read many times about Pilot seniority but I don´t know what it is exactly, how it works, how do you know where you are in seniority, what does it depend on etc.
I hope someone can explain to me this concept.

Thanks,

Archie

ben88

RE: Pilot Seniority

Wed Jan 24, 2001 9:36 am

It's not something you are "in." Seniority is simply how long you have been working for a particular company. I believe with airlines you are assigned a seniority number at time of hire, and anyone that has a lower number than you has the opportunity to pick schedule, aircraft etc. ahead of you. So basically when you fist get hired, you don't have many options hehe.

Seniority

Wed Jan 24, 2001 9:39 am

When you work for an airline, you are given a hire date. That means you started working for them on that day. Your hire day is the golden number. Pilots senoirity determines everything. What plane you fly, what kind of days off you get, everything. It is very easy to have a 777 Cpt. with 20-25 years senoirity. Let's say that 777 Cpt. was hired in 1970. O.k, you come along and get hired in 97. Well that Cpt. has 27 years of seniority on you, 27 years. He will get 1st. pick over you on anything, because he has been with the company longer. This refers to anyone in the airline industry on every level. Senoirity is gold to an airline employee. I should know, I was there.