Pe@rson
Topic Author

Indian Air Travel

Wed Jan 24, 2001 11:06 pm

I've been trying unsuccessfully to obtain a one-way airfare from Delhi to Amritsar and from Shimla to Delhi. I've tried both Travelocity and OAG neither of which helped.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

MEA-707

RE: Indian Air Travel

Wed Jan 24, 2001 11:40 pm

I have found your Amritsar flight in Amadeus; accessible to anyone, look at http://www.amadeus.net/home/en/bookings/avail.htm
Direct IC A-320 service. But it didn't recognize "Shimla" Maybe search with another spelling or name.
As a Non Indian citizen, maybe you are aware Indian Airlines have an airpass where you can fly as much as you want for $400 or so.

nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

jaysit

Wed Jan 24, 2001 11:55 pm

I don't think Shimla (Simla) has an airport.
For one, its spread out over a gorge at 10,000 ft.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2001 12:00 am

According to Lonely Planet's superb India guide, Shimla (Simila as Jaysit says), has non-stop flights to Delhi using the Twin Otter!!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

amo757

Thu Jan 25, 2001 1:32 am

i dont think there is a scheduled service to shimla from delhi although i am not sure, i think u can get flight there from chandigargh, and there are flights from delhi to chandigargh and shimla is a few hours drive drom there, or a couple of hourse or so by train.
shimla does have an airport, and i think i remember seeing a sign for it about 18 km ahead from shimla. i dont know if your chances of getting flights out there in the winter are very high if thats when ur planning to go.
i know that air india has a flight from LHR to amritsar via delhi including a change of aircraft at delhi. dont know what aircraft is used though. i dont know how much the cost of domestic flights in india are, but i think air india should have something on their web-site-(but i am unsure)
amo

jaysit

Thu Jan 25, 2001 2:03 am

Pearson, you're probably right. I forgot about the new regional airlines that have sprung up in India that exclusively fly small turboprops. That having been said, the drive from Chandigarh to Simla over mountain roads is far more exciting than a flight there. I did it 10 years ago. Frankly, Simla is a bit of a let down though - it may have been charming 30 years ago. There are lodges and hill resorts several miles outside of Simla which avoid the crowds and traffic of Simla (Yes, I've seen traffic gyms on roads at 9000 ft), which are a better choice. And, if you really want to fly over mountains, then I suggest the flight to Leh in Ladakh. For one, you'll be on a 737 (IC or Jet) and the views from the plane are amazing !! In the 1980s IC allowed photographs of the 20,000+ ft peaks but I'm sure they won't allow it now.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

B747-437B

Thu Jan 25, 2001 2:40 am

Amritsar (ATQ/VIAR) is served by IC/CD from DEL using 737-200s and A320s. These flights are also AI codeshares, linking up with AI's flights into DEL from Europe/N.America.

Shimla (SLV/VISM) is served by IC from DEL using Do228 turboprops.

I'm sure there are other carriers in the market too. I know that ATQ for instance has a handful of international carriers (such as Uzbek airways TAS-ATQ flight).
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2001 3:42 am

Ok, here's the deal:

I'm planning to visit India in August for little over a month. Whilst most of India, especially the plains, is unbearably hot, the Himalaya region is best visited during the cooler months (during the summer).

My trip will begin and end in Delhi. Although I haven't yet decided the length of my stay in the city, I'll probably stay 7 nights in the Indian capital. From Delhi, I'll head to Dalhousie-Dharamsala-Shimla-Manali-Leh-Delhi. I'm not yet sure how to reach Dalhouise from Delhi. One possible way is to fly or catch a bus/train to Amritsar and then connecting by bus (probably the next day) to Dalhouise. I'll probably fly from Leh to Delhi, connecting with my flight back to LHR.

Anyone know of the best way of reaching Dalhousie?

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2001 11:12 pm

Does anyone know the three letter code for Leh, Ladakh & Zanskar, India?

B747-437B

Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:10 am

Leh is IXL

No idea about the others, or even if they have service to them.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

amo757

Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:18 am

according to mom (lol) dalhousie is nr shimla, or closer to shimla than it is amritsar, so unless u just wanna check the airport out or c amritsar it wud b a waste of time, dalhousie is in HP (himachal pradesh) whereas amritsar is in punjab near the border of pakistan, the quickest way to get to dalhousie would be via delhi by plane (if it is served) or coach, cars are also very cheap tp hire with the drivers, however i do not know whether they do single journeys i.e. one way, unless you pay for their return, unsure about this.

IndianGuy

Fri Jan 26, 2001 2:34 am

IC has nonstop flight using A320 eqpt on most days, and 737s (of subsidiary CD) on others. flying time is around 55 minutes.

9W has a daily service too using 737NGs.

Y Class Fare is Rs.2800, and J Class should be around Rs.4000. Atleast one of IC's flights is codeshared with AI.

The best option for Delhi to Amritsar would be take the train. There is a decent one called the Shatbdi series of super express trains. Pretty decent, comfortable and cheap too.

IC operates tourist flights to 4 destinations Dehradun, Dharamshala, Simla and Kulu in Himachal Pradesh. All these flights are operated using Dornier 228's.

IC does not have any Twin Otters.

A private carrier Archana Airways has has flights using Let-410's and supposedly Dash 8's as well. But that one is best avoided.

Ladakh has 2 airports Leh and Thoise. There is a daily non-stop service to Delhi from Leh operated by IC using A320 eqpt, and a couple of 1 or 2 stop flights to Del via Jammu (IXJ) and Srinagar, both in Jammu & Kashmir.