AF-A319
Topic Author

BMI new Livery Picture

Thu Jan 25, 2001 5:07 am

Hey!

The best spotter of Toulouse, Yannick Delamarre, has already the 1st pics of the new color scheme of British Midland Intl on his site http://fly.to/airbus/.
You can visit his site for another picture.

Best Regards

Louis

Copyright : Yannick Delamarre

avion

RE: BMI ,ew Livery Picture

Thu Jan 25, 2001 5:19 am

Uggh! That makes feel sick!!

Avion

Crosswind

Thu Jan 25, 2001 5:27 am

Brilliant!
Clean looking and fresh. Unique. Distinctive. Very STAR Alliance and Very British. The "fake" impression had me a bit worried with the wavy lines, but this is much more businesslike. Can't wait for the A330!

Still remains to be seen whether the Union Jack will be painted Blue and Red or not.

But before you criticise, remember BMI could have gone for an uninspired all-white livery, with a logo on the tail...

OH-LGA

Thu Jan 25, 2001 5:28 am

Ew no!

I've liked most of the new color schemes that have come out (yes, including Southwest's) but this one is just baaaaddd... as BranVan3K said "Who let Delta's designers near the engines?" Big grin Does not look professional in the least... yech. Reminds me of a charter airline, certainly not a scheduled passenger airline with high standards.

Moi,
Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

HermansCVR580

Thu Jan 25, 2001 5:47 am

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like an inbreed between Jet Blue,Sun Country new colors, and Delta??? Big grin
The right decision at the wrong time, is still a wrong decision. "Hal Carr"

copper1

Thu Jan 25, 2001 5:51 am

Two thumbs down !!!!!

copper1

ctbarnes

What Was Sir Michel Thinking?

Thu Jan 25, 2001 6:05 am

The new livery looks really naff. Makes BD appear cheap and downmarket. The old livery was classy and well-recognized in Europe. Why change for change's sake?

At least they were smart enough not to significantly change the name.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Jan 25, 2001 6:09 am

Fresh eye-catching, modern, with curves (now very in).

Sexy and lovely, a bit too masucline, dunno what the women will think!

SIA should get a new livery
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

CactusA319

Thu Jan 25, 2001 6:16 am

Is that the final product? It looks ok, but the color on the engines look out of place, and it would be cool if the union jack on the tail was painted red

AndyEastMids

Thu Jan 25, 2001 6:21 am

Even more JMC like IMHO. Oh well, at least its better than the fake, and actually I quite like it.

As to the "What was Sir Michael thinking of" post, I have it on pretty good authority from the inside that the image make-over was done by none other than Landor.

You pay's your money, you takes your choice.

Andy

englandair

Thu Jan 25, 2001 6:47 am

I expected to be really angery when seeing it, but it's so crap all I can do is laugh!

flashmeister

Thu Jan 25, 2001 6:50 am

Awful... no one will know WHAT the "i" in BMI stands for, unless you follow the industry like we do...

I like the tail, but the rest is terrible. And what's up with the engines?

amo757

Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:02 am

BMI go to your room and dont come out untill u know how 2 behave!!!!..... and dont whine at me like that! now get a move on!!!!!!!

Navion

Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:02 am

I like it, but I have to admit it doesn't flow.

englandair

Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:08 am

I must admit, it's growing on me already!

Afew things I'd change though-

1) Make the blue on the tail the same shade of blue (royal) as that on the fuselage.

2)Put the Union Flag in it's proper colours.

3)Remove the red on the engines and paint them the same blue as the 'BMI' lettering.

4)Paint a red line along the bottom of the blue on the fuselage.

5)The 'back wings' (what ever they're called) REALLY shouldn't be painted red!

After seeing the artists impresion I was discusted, but to see the real design I'm releaved. I think perhaps more of a compromise between the old livery and the new would be best.

Although, I wish they'd just keep the present design- it's so beautiful, British & business like.

A slightly relived Jamie.

ps.I'm so glad that British Midland is written on the fuselage, and they've not totally renamed themselves BMI.

I love the name British Midland International.

BostonBeau

Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:11 am

The coloring of the fuselage reminds me of Shamu the whale.

USAFHummer

Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:17 am

Looks a lot like the fake pic posted earlier-I have lost all respect for BM with that-their old scheme was by far my favorite of any airline, however this new one makes me wanna puke on my keyboard.

The tail does resemble jetBlue a lot.

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

BranVan3K

Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:19 am

I uh.... like the font??

Don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all!

APP

RE: BMI New Livery Picture

Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:23 am

Yeah, The font is good.......and thats about all I can say, it looks as though someone's been throwing paint around!!!!
APP.

RayChuang

Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:24 am

This isn't a joke, isn't it?

Bleah.  Nuts

They have GOT to be totally kidding. The new livery has WAY too many "busy" details and just doesn't look good. Looks like Sir Michael Landor may have had a few too many pints of room-temperature British beer designing this livery.  Insane

Well, there's another airline that has created a fine mess of their livery. And I thought WN's new livery was bad enough.

They need to run on over to www.suncountry.com and see how a PROPER implementation of a new livery works.

Soku39

Thu Jan 25, 2001 8:08 am

I think we better stop asking for new schemes because every time an airline comes out with one everbody ends up hating it. I am no big fan of this it is quite ugly thats all I have to say.
The Ohio Player

sdate747

Thu Jan 25, 2001 8:14 am

Beauiful Livery. Can't wait for non stop service from MAN - IAD (Washington Dulles) beginning in March.

I hope I can ride it someday for my next european vacation
 Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile

flyCMH

Thu Jan 25, 2001 8:17 am

Overall, I think it could be better, but it's not that bad. I think the tail looks especially nice, very creative. I don't think the "Delta-like" engine design is all that great, it doesn't seem to match the rest of the livery.

Crosswind

Thu Jan 25, 2001 8:30 am

It looks like a lot of people are not giving this one much of an chance!

Any major image change may be a bit of a shock and look strange at first.

BMI's old livery was introduced in 1986, and has only been subjected to modifications since then. In that period of time, the company has undergone some major, fundamental changes to the way it operates. It is now a major player in both the Domestic and European market, it is about to lauch Trans-Atlantic service, it is part owned by Lufthansa and SAS and a member of a major alliance.

A company (in any industry) that has undergone that sort of change and grown will gerally want a new image to reflect that change to their customers. With this change, BMI are clearly wanting to change the way they are seen. To be thought of an airline that flies to Washington and Chicago, rather than one that just flies to Edinburgh and Amsterdam.

BMI have kept the deep blue roof and tail, but in a much more stylised form. But gone are the grey belly, engines and tailplane - the removal of the grey gives a brighter, fresher, cleaner look.

The lowercase bmi titling in blue, compliments the fuselage colouring very well.

The red accents on the engine and tailplane just provide some colour and contrast to the rest of the scheme.

As it has been pointed out by several people, it is not yet clear whether the Union Flag will be fully painted on the tail - I would expect that it will.

BMI needed a change, this one appears to be a pretty good one. Clean lines and distinctive colours - and one that will definately stand out from the crowd of white-painted aircraft!

These pictures are snaps of an aircraft on a test flight, the livery may not be complete, and the photo quality isn't the best - Maybe wait for some official photos once the final scheme has been confirmed before condeming this scheme.

As I said in my original post - I like it  Smile

aa737

Thu Jan 25, 2001 10:27 am

What does the I stand for?

N202PA

Thu Jan 25, 2001 10:49 am

Good God, this is what graphics design companies get paid for?

I can see people not liking Southwest--their new livery is, admittedly, somewhat gaudy, and if you don't like the color scheme, you probably won't like the livery. But, honestly, I fail to see how *anyone* could possibly like this new BMI livery. I mean, hell, I could have drawn something like this up freehand. It looks like they started painting the aircraft, got lazy, and said, "the hell with it!"

I mean, half of the aircraft is dead white, and the tail sticks out like a sore thumb that's been bashed a few dozen times over with a sledgehammer! There's absolutely no integration of the tail and the body--this would be good if the tail was warm and inviting, but instead, it looks cold and drab. Not exactly the image a *British* international airline needs to put out to a world that thinks of Britain as a bland, boring, cold country. I have to agree that this scheme looks like something a ratty charter operator would come out with, not their classy current scheme.

No offense, but I think some of you people out there have to be quite blind.

Samurai 777

Thu Jan 25, 2001 10:54 am

I like Southwest's and Sun Country's colors, but BMI? -NOT!

Aa737, the "i" stands for international.

VirginFlyer

Thu Jan 25, 2001 11:01 am

I notice the other pic (the CG one) said Union Jack was to be painted, so that should liven up the tail a bit... Who knows, perhaps they will paint the belly a different colour other than white (red???). Who knows. Just for comparison, here is there current (and I think very professional looking) scheme:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Miguel Snoep

"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

imkeww

Thu Jan 25, 2001 11:06 am

I like everything except the monstrosity of blue on the fuselage. Perhaps they could have been more conservative in applying the blue? I mean, the back half is digestible, but the front half is simply vomit-inducing! It looks like a giant condor defecated on it. (The fecal matter being blue paint!)

The font is very stylish, though. Perhaps the best feature. I like the engines, and especially the tail.

Yet-- I thought that tailplanes could not be painted over. Won't this affect the aerodynamics of the aircraft?

-imk

blink182

Thu Jan 25, 2001 11:10 am

Two words- it sux! I like the old one a lot, I didn't see a need for a change at all. The old one was one of my favorites, this new one is terrible. I will give them credit for the font, that does look pretty good.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

ContinentalEWR

Thu Jan 25, 2001 11:48 am

EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Awful. Hideous. Unprofessional. WHY WHY WHY????
British Midland has an excellent livery. All they really
needed to do is add the "I" for BMI. That's it. They
livery is tacky, unimaginative and frankly, very much
an unprofessional hack job. It looks like someone
threw up Southwest, Lan Chile, and Delta Livery #2
all over that poor little Airbus.

As far as BD is concerned, they have a fighting
chance thanks to their membership in Star but the
importance of them taking to the skies over the
Atlantic is to help push for more airlines using LHR
to fly to the USA. They are entering a crowded
market, with many established players. That livery
is awful and won't win too many points.....

ContinentalEWR

ContinentalEWR

Thu Jan 25, 2001 11:51 am

Bad move. Do we hear another BA tailfin type scandal?
Thank goodness Virgin was born.

RayChuang

Thu Jan 25, 2001 12:04 pm

It's these really tacky liveries that makes you want to go back to the "wet leaser" livery look of LH and AF today.  Insane

Come on, art designers out there! There's totally NO excuse to come up with unpleasant-looking liveries like the new BD and WN liveries. I mean, look at how extraordinarily successful SY was able to update their livery; the implementation on the 737-800 was nothing short of a -masterpiece-.  Smile

VirginFlyer

Thu Jan 25, 2001 12:45 pm

I think they should:

Colour the Union Jack in. Then, continue the vertical red stripe, and the left hand side (looking from this angle, it would be the right hand side on the other side of the plane) stripes etc down and back. Have the right hand bottom red diagonal of the flag follow under the blue splodge that is the upper fuselage, with a small white gap between the blue and the red. This would meet on each side at the nose. Under this red, would then be the same blue, continuing from the part of the Jack to the right of the +, and under the X. I hope you have understood what I mean, the Union Jack isnt the easiest flag to describe. Perhaps someone could doctor the photo up to this... If they did that, I would then like the livery (it would basically be a flying Union Jack, not as professional as the old colours, but VERY british. I hope that is what BM(I) intends to do!
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Thu Jan 25, 2001 2:47 pm

The new lively look like the cheap no-frills airlines and some sort of Delta clone. Can't they drop the word 'Midland'? I doesn't sounds nice at all for International airlines.

kevin

Thu Jan 25, 2001 4:07 pm

I guess it has something in common with "Lan Chile" and "Boeing 767-400 All the Way". Anyway I was expecting something more impressive and accurate.
Why not for example an all blue fuselage with a tail painted in Union Jack and red "BMI titles" in the middle of the fuselage?

Regards

Ryefly

Thu Jan 25, 2001 4:37 pm

I'm not to crazy about the new look although like alot of you said, I like the font. Plus I like the colors. It just look incomplete. Hopefully it is. I completed a fantasy scheme for BMI myself so if you want take a look.

http://ryefly.tripod.com/pages/bmi.html

Perhaps I will give a try at fixing up the new scheme they have now to see how it looks. Although I just don't know if I could keep that unattractive blue wave on there. What do you think, Keep it or make the top half all blue with white belly?

na

Thu Jan 25, 2001 5:33 pm

Not good, not really bad is my first impression. Looks fresh, thats the main positive thing about it. But somehow cheap. A bit like a mixture of JMC and LanChile. But these two are better. This livery looks a bit like a lttle of everything but nothing done right. I don´t like the "sad face" of the aircraft.

RyeFly, your idea is better, but too conservative.

Anyway, still waiting for the first really good-looking livery of the new millenium.

CX Flyboy

Thu Jan 25, 2001 5:53 pm

My god, what have they done? It looks like a big blue pancake fell on it!!

What was wrong with the old scheme? This looks like a cheap charter airline!

Ryefly

Thu Jan 25, 2001 6:17 pm

I will be busy tomorrow so I made some changes to their scheme tonight. Its below the fantasy scheme I created earlier.

VirginFlyer

Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:08 pm

RyeFly - Your one REALLY looks like Delta had a go at the engines! Its OK though, the Union jack looks good. Could you please try what I suggested in my last post on this topic (scroll up a bit), and continure the Union Jack down and rearwards, and have the right hand red bottom part of the X follow the contours of the blue pancake, beneath it, and beneat that, more blue, from the jack, I hope you get me...

E-mail it to me before posting it on your site, I'll tell you if you have understood me or not (I would do this myself but A. I have no programme to do it and B. I have no webseite  Sad)

gardermoen

Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:15 pm

Rye Fly - y our livery is creative and I do like it. For some reason it reminds me of Royal Jordanian, not the colours but the overall layout and lines used.

Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:39 pm

The reason is very simple. Since SAS owns part of it, they took it to their paint shop but forgot they only have 2 colors  Smile

BDRules

Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:56 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what have they done. its JMC all over again not a bloody scheduled airline. yeh its grown on me since i saw the fake pic but oh my god its pants.
regards BDRules but not their paint scheme

BMI New Livery Picture

Thu Jan 25, 2001 9:22 pm

'Looks like somebody forgot the cap on the lavatory servicing panel and all the blue chemical stuff for the toilets escaped on the first takeoff !!!  Laugh out loud

Maybe it won't look THAT bad in sunny weather ???

BDRules

Thu Jan 25, 2001 9:27 pm

yeh right

OO-VEG

Thu Jan 25, 2001 9:31 pm

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can cleary see the designers used a combination of the worlds most ugly color schemes.

star_member

Thu Jan 25, 2001 10:12 pm

interesting concept. glad they kept the union jack and british midland prominent on the fuselage. however, it definitely doesn't project any class or quality and so people won't take it seriously. it seems more suited for a charter airline. all the other star alliance partners also have relatively conservative liveries, so it seems a bit incongruous.

airsicknessbag

Thu Jan 25, 2001 10:18 pm

Uurgh. Bad. Cheap. Looks like low cost/charter. Unprofessional. Loud. jmc-ish...

Daniel Smile

Thu Jan 25, 2001 10:23 pm

awfull, the only word for it