Aeroflot Eyeing A Stake In Virgin Express?

Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:20 am

(If this is a duplicate post, apologies in advance.)

I know it sounds crazy, but look at the excerpts from this article I found on CNNfn IndustryWatch:

Russian flag carrier Aeroflot has held talks on the possible purchase of a stake in Irish airline Virgin Express Ireland, which provides budget services to Europe, Aeroflot told Interfax.

"Europe is a zone of special interest to Aeroflot and we want to acquire a stake in the Irish airline," an Aeroflot spokesman said.

Acquiring a stake in the Irish airline, and possibly a controlling stake, would allow Aeroflot to use Virgin Express to fly to European cities to which the Russian airline does not hold licences.

Source: BBC (monitoring former Soviet Union)

Full text at http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=17637503&ID=cnniw&scategory=Aviation.

Is this for real? I didn't realize that Aeroflot would have any capital for this sort of thing... does anyone think this would be even a remotely good match?

RE: Aeroflot Eyeing A Stake In Virgin Express?

Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:51 am

I posted this information 2 days ago, in a bit more detail at

Your questions are pretty much answered in the report I posted from The Moscow Times.

Personally, I think it would be a great move for SU....afterall BA, LH, AF, SR, etc, all have their feeder airlines in Europe. Getting Virgin Ireland under the SU stable would enable them to ferry passengers to the hub which SU are talking of setting up in LHR, CDG or BER.

Having said this, the Russian people I have spoken to about this story were not expecting it; it has come right out of left field.

More information on exactly what is happening is expected to be coming out in the next few days. Will keep ya posted.

Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:52 am

i also read this today. At first glance it looks a bit surprising! but afteral Aeroflot is an airline and we ar ein time of M&A so basiucally nothing crazy about that!

The only ting that surprises me is the fact that SU will then go against the strategy of increasing the ration of preimum revenues. What SU needs is a reliable partner who feeds their hubs and in return who gets pax from them. The thing is that as long as they operate out of different airports with poor logistical links it will be a tough job to attract any premium pax to travel with them. THis is the man headache of so many russian carriers, they mught have good loadsin termsof pax figures but almost all traficis leisure and ethinc this means low low yields. Transaero is setting an example of how to attract biz. travellers by offering good equipment, convinient departuretimes and good service.

Sat Jan 27, 2001 1:28 am

It has been widely reported in the Irish media that it is true.Check www.irishtimes.com etc.

Sat Jan 27, 2001 1:40 am

That sucks, more lousy Aeroflot flight attendants!