Breaking News : 22 Dead In Venezuela Air Crash

Fri Jan 26, 2001 10:00 am

following reports from Cnn.com

22 dead in Venezuela air crash

January 25, 2001
Web posted at: 7:43 p.m. EST (0043 GMT)

CARACAS, Venezuela -- An airplane crashed Thursday night while en route from Canaima, Venezuela, to the river port city of Ciudad Bolivar, Venezuela, CNN has learned.

Details were sketchy, but CNN has been told at least 22 people died in the crash. The number of people on board was not available.

MaxPowers

RE: Breaking News : 22 Dead In Venezuela Air Crash

Fri Jan 26, 2001 10:04 am

omg! I hope at least there are a few survivers

pshifrin

Fri Jan 26, 2001 10:29 am

They're saying it was a DC-3

jasewgtn

Fri Jan 26, 2001 11:45 am

It was Rutaca Airlines with 21 pax and 3 crew.

MEA-707

Fri Jan 26, 2001 7:59 pm

A very sad day indeed. The plane was filled with, amongst others, 5 Dutch tourists. So the plane crash caught some special attention here, especially because it reminds of the 1996 crash of the DC-3 in The Netherlands which killed 32, it generates discussions here in the media if the DC-3 is still fit to fly passengers because engine problems can have such results.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

L-188

Fri Jan 26, 2001 8:56 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but I belive this aircraft was a Basler Turbine conversion...Can anybody confirm this.

MEA....The DC-3 airframe is one of the strongest around. I would have not problems flying one of them. Besides if I am correct in saying that it was a Basler Conversion and alleged "problems" with the original R-1830's would be moot.

Besides for a double row radial engine the 1830 is pretty much bulletproof.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

airmale

Fri Jan 26, 2001 9:20 pm

I heard there were American,Dutch,Italian,Hungarian and an Austrian national onboard, may they rest in peace-Ameen
.....up there with the best!

747-451

Fri Jan 26, 2001 11:57 pm

Rest in peace.

Please no more DC-3 for pax any more when you can get 727's, 737's or Twin Otters, Trilanders (if you need STOL) etc etc cheap or lease....

Sat Jan 27, 2001 2:36 am

What the hell was that airline flying WW2 era aircraft like the DC-3? I can see if they were flying a DC-8 or DC-9 aircraft that was close or over 30 years of age, but a DC-3? Didn't those Americans that were on board think twice before boarding that aircraft?

ussherd

Sat Jan 27, 2001 2:54 am

I flew on a DC-3 belonging to Servivensa on that same route 5 years ago. The aircraft did a fly-by of the angel falls, giving fantastic views of the dramatic "lost world" landscape. It was a pretty incredible experience, made all the more so by the fact that I was flying on a classic airframe. It's very sad that what likely was a wonderful trip should have ended so tragically.
Cada loco con su tema...

UA747-400

Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:02 am

Greetings,

The sole purpose of having a DC-3 on that route is for sightseeing. Even though the aircraft is old the maintenance applied to each of its components is thourough, the news stated that the aircraft was in regulation standards. I live in Venezuela and never even heard of RUTACA, I was astonished that they flew a DC-3, but what im shure that the captain and first officer did everything they could to save the passengers. This is a tough blow for everyone. I really feel bad about this accident and hope the families of the victims can one day overcome the pain. My prayers go with the souls of this tragedy.

Kind regards.

trintocan

Sat Jan 27, 2001 11:34 am

The Rutaca DC-3 in question was on its way from Canaima (where Angel Falls is located) and had stopped in Ciudad Bolivar on its way to Porlamar, Margarita. It crashed on its way out of Ciudad Bolivar when an engine caught fire; it crashed into a residential area. 2 children on the ground were injured. The death toll is confirmed as 24, comprising 20 passengers and 4 crew members; there were no survivors. The crew and 2 passengers were Venezuelan while the other pax included Americans, Dutch, Italians, Hungarians and the Austrian.

DC-3s are commonly used in Venezuela for flights to Angel Falls - the planes fly right past the fall, the highest in the world, affording passengers a spectacular view and a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The airline, Rutaca, had a previously impeccable safety record and operates various equipment throughout Venezuela and to Port of Spain and Tobago. (The EMB-110 Bandeirante is the type used to Trinidad and Tobago.) They fly charters and also scheduled services. Their headquarters are at Ciudad Bolivar, in fact.

A very sad incident indeed. May those who died rest in peace and may God bless their bereaved friends and relatives.

Sad
Trintocan.

ps I have been to Ciudad Bolivar and passed by the airport and saw DC-3s there - I have never flown to Canaima though. The scenic city is located on the banks of the Orinoco River and boasts the only bridge spanning the river, the Angostura Bridge, which is the longest bridge in South America.
Hop to it, fly for life!

Sat Jan 27, 2001 11:38 am

I would never get on any of those old pieces of crap, they should have been scraped 20 years ago.

Starship

RE: Breaking News : 24 Dead In Venezuela Air Crash

Sat Jan 27, 2001 3:14 pm

From BBC News

Behind every "no" is a "yes"

747-451

No Excuse To Use DC-3 Any More...

Sun Jan 28, 2001 7:23 am

Again, why couldn't they use a more modern STOL(Twin Otter or Trilander) for "sightseeing"?????

DC-3's times have passed. Period.

trintocan

Mon Jan 29, 2001 12:53 pm

The latest news is that only 3 Americans were aboard that plane; the 3 others thought to be Americans were in fact Canadians. Hence, another nationality has become included among the casualties.

Personally, I do not see why the DC-3 should be blamed - after all just about any type of plane may be involved in an accident and, even more pertinently, any type can be kept in service for extended periods once stringent maintenance is carried out. The DC-3s have lasted nearly 70 years in service, with estimates on flying airframes varying between 400 and 1000; if the latter is true then there are nearly twice as many DC-3's still flying today as there were DC-10s and TriStars ever built! Not that I want to decry the trijets but that is a testimony to the durability and reliability of the DC-3s. If I ever get the opportunity to fly in one of these majestic old birds I would certainly do so.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

Mon Jan 29, 2001 1:34 pm

So, Trintocan, what caused this crash? Any ideas?

rgds
russ

trintocan

Tue Jan 30, 2001 2:05 pm

To answer your question, TWAneedsNOhelp, the investigation is focusing on the plane's engines. From eyewitness reports and the conversation with the tower, one of the plane's engines had caught fire after it had left Maturin. The pilots were trying to return to the airport when the plane went down.

So engine failure is being touted as the culprit here.

Sad
Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!