Republic
Topic Author

Continental's Service To Mexico

Fri Jan 26, 2001 10:02 am

Hello,

I came across this excellent article about how Continental chooses which cities in Mexico to serve. It gives a detailed look at their Mexican operations. Here's the link:http://www.latintrade.com/newsite/content/archives.cfm?TopicID=2&StoryID=985

It still amazes me how many cities now have direct service to IAH. CO hopes to serve 35 cities in Mexico by 2005. Once the new international terminal dedicated solely for Continental's usage is completed in 2003, look for CO to increase from the current 20 or so markets served to their goal of approximately 35.

AeroMexico and Mexicana need to respond quickly before CO becomes THE airline for Mexico-US travellers.

Comments?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Javier Paez

CO at MTY

Rgds,
Joe

ishky15

RE: Continental's Service To Mexico

Fri Jan 26, 2001 10:41 am

I can see that that article is quite old, as Santa Creuz is no longer served as well as Santiago. I don't understand why they had to drop both of them, three weekly flights to Lima connecting to two dailies to Houston and Newark should have found a way to be profitable. I hope they restart services to both of those destinations soon.

After Continental has added nearly every Mexican city to its route network from Houston, I hope that they launch a series of point-to-point routes across the border in cities pairs that are greatly underserved. They could fly routes like Boston-Cozumel, San Francisco-Guadalajara, and Orlando-Mexico City. Although I doubt that this will EVER happen, I'll just keep it in my fantasy bank.

toxtethogrady

When Did They Drop Santa Cruz And Santiago?

Fri Jan 26, 2001 12:42 pm

Both were in the December flight schedule. Is this a forecast of things to come? Seems to me they worked mighty hard to get rights to Santiago, so giving them up so soon is a surprise.

The RJ's are definitely a plus. You can reach most of Mexico from Houston with them. But DFW is a bit of a stretch (about 200 miles farther)...

cba

RE: When Did They Drop Santa Cruz And Santiago?

Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:12 pm

Houston is in the best position to reach Mexico. DFW is too far north. I don't think that CO will move its COex flights to Mexico into Terminal E.

toxtethogrady

Someone Educate Vincente Fox!

Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:17 pm

...who seems to think that Dallas is the gateway to the US.

Republic
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2001 8:58 pm

Cba:

Currently, Coex flights from Mexico arrive at the hardstand at Terminal D (IAB), and the passengers are bused to FIS/customs. Departures are from Terminal B. It would follow that when CO's new IAB, the new Terminal E is finished, these arrivals would move to the new CO international terminal. AeroLitoral will remain at the hardstand at Terminal D

ishky15

RE: When Did They Drop Santa Cruz And Santiago?

Fri Jan 26, 2001 9:06 pm

They were dropped somtime last fall. I read in one article that they lost something like $100,000 a day on those flights because the Peruvian government wouldn't let them carry local traffic.

rojo

Fri Jan 26, 2001 11:03 pm

Aeromexico and Mexicana´s response won´t happend until they are sold and this may take like a year. This was stated yesterday by Aeromexico´s CEO Alfonso Pasquel in a Mexican newspaper, where he urged the mexican authorities to accelerate the sale of both carriers, so they can start planning their fleet and their future.
Continental will face competition of American and Northwest for now.

Rojo