Mason
Topic Author

Kind Of A Dumb Question,

Fri Jan 26, 2001 12:26 pm

Ok, I have always wondered this. Why do you always board the aircraft from the left side? There are perfectly good doors on the right side. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever boarded from the right side. Does anyone know this? Thanks in advance.

RE: Kind Of A Dumb Question,

Fri Jan 26, 2001 12:31 pm

Well, on most ac, the galley is on the port side, only for loading and unloading food, so it is pretty standard to have it on the left side. I hope this makes sense. On a DC9 or a similar plane, this door enters thru a galley. Although this may not be true for a 747 or whatever, it has become standard practice.

Jack

PS
The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Ryefly

Fri Jan 26, 2001 12:41 pm

Actually Eastern Airlines had a few gates in Miami for their L1011's that were on the port side. I know there is a picture on this site somewhere that shows what I am talking about. If I find it again I will post it.

HeavyCapt

Fri Jan 26, 2001 12:51 pm

People...the port side is the left side.

Most commercial airliners have cargo doors on the starboard side. The passenger doors on the starboard side are fully functional unless we are speaking about older jets such as the DC-9, 727-100, 707. Bearing this in mind it is done in order to do more things around the jet simultaneously. So that cargo may be loaded while boarding passengers for instance. On the larger as well as some smaller aircraft, catering is usually boarded on the starboard side concurrently with the passengers. All of this mumbo jumbo really means shorter turnaround times and theoretically more revenues for the carrier.

Ryefly

here we go...

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Allan Rossmore

Actually this one had two gates! See that wasn't a stupid question.

One more consideration. Back in the day (I'll use a 727 here) a lot of airports had ramp pax loading (i.e. you walked across the ramp, and up a stairtruck). On the right side of the aircraft were the refuel point/control panel, the cargo pit doors, and also as stated before, galley door, and the APU exhaust. So it was safer and more operationally efficient to load on the left while ground service operations were going on, on the right.. I guess it became more standard industry-wide when the various airport authorities put in jetways.

Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:02 pm

There are no dumb questions - only dumb persons who ask them.

However, this one qualifies on NEITHER count.

VirginFlyer

Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:40 pm

Wishihadalife - I see the Forum jester has returned! I think I'll modify your statement to "There are no dumb questions - only dumb mistakes made as a result of not asking the question".

But yes, you are right, in this case, the question is far from dumb...

I think left hand side pax loading is just one of those conventions that make life easier.
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Mason
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2001 2:03 pm

Thanks for all of the info that actually provided some actual info (seem redundant). Oh well, this is one of my questions that actually got answered. Thanks! That pic of the Eastern L-1011 is unusual. Is this gate still in operation at MIA? Who uses it and for what aircraft type?

timz

Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:49 am

Don't forget: many (most? all?) narrowbody jets have no full-size doors on the right side. On the 737 (pre-NG, anyway) the left forward door is 34 by 72 inches, the right is only 30 by 65. Loading on the right = lawyer heaven.

DeltaShuttle

Another Example

Sat Jan 27, 2001 7:03 am

I was at Seoul's Kimpo International in 1988, and a Cathay Pacific L - 1011 was being boarded via a gate on the right side of the aircraft.

CactusA319

Sat Jan 27, 2001 9:37 am

This reminds me of a time where we deplaned/boarded a Frontier 737-200 from the RIGHT/REAR door due to a broken jetway. Since we couldn't park the aircraft farther back because of space constraints and the jetway was fixed in place, we elected to deplane using airstairs on the right side. However, upon placing the stairs next to the plane, we realized they were too high for the -200 so we took them to the back door which is up a little higher. This worked out and we eventually got everyone off and on the plane on that side, although it was a pain trying to load the aircraft and fuel it with people walking around. At times we had to stop what we were doing to let passengers pass.It was pretty weird to say the least.