JAT
Topic Author

On This Day...

Sat Jan 27, 2001 7:10 am

On January 26, 1972 (28 years ago) a JAT DC-9 blew up over Hermsdorf, Czechoslovakia. Remarkably, a light attendant, Vesna Vulovic survived thge 33,000 ft. fall although she broke both her legs and was paralyzed waist down. She was in the tail section of the DC-9 during the fall. I'm not sure if she is still alive today.

RJ100

RE: On This Day...

Sat Jan 27, 2001 7:49 am

Hello JAT

This is a sad story. Unfortunately there were too many plane crashes, so we cannot remmember all of them.

By the way, maybe you know, how is JAT doing at the moment???

With kind regards

RJ100
none

Matt D

Sat Jan 27, 2001 8:12 am

I feel bad for people whenever I hear about things like that happening to them. But IMO, I would've rather died then be sentenced to a life of parlysis. I mean you can't walk, you can't do anything physical. You can't even go to the bathroom without assistance. Your life consists of being in a wheelchair and watching other people without those injuries either on TV, or wherever you go...while marooned in your wheelchair. True, some of them are lucky, and able to DRAG themselves for about 10 feet at a time using canes and walkers. But for me, that would be far worse than death.
It's kind like when I hear people who were in car wrecks or something and they say things like: "They had to amputate both of my legs, I lost one of my hands, I have 2nd degree burns over 70% percent of my body, One of my eyes was gouged out, I have a ruptured lung, and 4 broken ribs....
But dammit...I'm glad to be alive".

I look at them and say "Why?"

Accidentally

Sat Jan 27, 2001 8:59 am

Matt D...
I was recently paralyzed from the chest down...My injury level is C-6 to be exact.
Honestly, I think the people that say theyre glad to be alive are lying through their teeth!

Cory
Indianapolis, IN

JAT
Topic Author

Sat Jan 27, 2001 10:20 am

I just remebered this story because of how interesting it is. RJ100, since you asked about how JAT is doing I will post a seperate topic about that.