RonE
Topic Author

Is The Magic In Aviation Dying?

Sun Jan 28, 2001 2:53 am

Today, many if not most airlines in the world have replaced their older aircraft such as the 727, DC-10 and Tristar with newer, more fuel efficient aircraft such as the A330, A340 and 777 and/or have changed their colour schemes to provide a "fresher" look for the airline.
While these steps have been taken to allegedly improve aviation quality, one cannot help but feel strong pangs of yearning to the older classical jets and some of the paint schemes  Crying What do you think?

gearup

RE: Is The Magic In Aviation Dying?

Sun Jan 28, 2001 3:05 am

You could be right. Many of the new liveries look the same. At a quick glance you could easily mix up a B767-300ER and B777-200 especially if the same airline flies both! And who can forget the sight of a Boeing 707-300 in Pan Am livery or the VC10 in BOAC livery. Even the 2 wide-body trijets looked profoundly different. There has been a lot of critics condemming BM's new colours and Southwest's new colours, I for one think they are at least a welcome departure from all white and some colour on the tail (eg. Air Canada) and I think Southwest's colours look fantastic on the 737-700. Maybe Southwest will start a trend and bring the magic back!
I have no memory of this place.

Sun Jan 28, 2001 3:07 am

But think about it, in about 20 years or so, these new colour schemes and the aircraft will also be a classic and will always be remembered. And in about 30 years, you can also say that you have flown on them!

Cheer up, these things will never go away..

Giantjets..

Sun Jan 28, 2001 3:09 am

Science advances, and aircraft still have variety, and color schemes between two airlines are typically quite different. Such as British Airways and United. Totally different scheme. Lufthansa and Saudi Arabian.

Don't feel that aviation has lost its magic, its technology marching ahead to create better and more magical aircraft.

AA737-800

RonE
Topic Author

Sun Jan 28, 2001 3:19 am

Don't get me wrong, I don't think improvement in fleet and/or colour schemes is ALL bad. Having flown such newer models as the A340, I can testify that it is a very comfortable airplane. However, sometimes you forget that you are flying on these new aicraft they are almost TOO comfortable. I still remember flying on the DC-10 as a much more exhilirating experience. As for the colour schemes, there are several new schemes which I just can't seem to get used to, such as SAS, British Airways, Air New Zealand and El-Al, while at the same time there are newer schemes I find more compelling and pleasurable to the eye such as United, Continental and Air Canada just to name a few.

Ralgha

Sun Jan 28, 2001 6:39 am

In my opinion, the "magic" of aviation in commercial aviation died a long time ago. It's still thriving in GA though.  Big thumbs up
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Delta15

Sun Jan 28, 2001 7:00 am

Doesnt matter, every time take a flight or even go to the airport i have an incredible feeling inside of me. Its always been that way for me, and will always be no matter what changes the industry makes.