DeltaAir
Topic Author

Warning If Coming To TPA...

Sun Jan 28, 2001 10:07 am

Tampa is running on only 1 runway until monday due to the influx of traffic in the area for Super Bowl 35. 2 runways were shut down to park the aircraft on and all other aircraft are being asked to land at other airports in the area.

Tom in NO

RE: Warning If Coming To TPA...

Sun Jan 28, 2001 10:32 am

I wonder how much general and corporate aviation parking areas TPA has. When we have the Super Bowl (as we have had seven times, and will again next year), we don't close any runways, we just use all available space to park aircraft. However, the majority of GA/biz jets go to our local GA airport, Lakefront. We do fill up at MSY, however.

It sounds to me like TPA may be going a little overboard in closing 2 runways, especially when they've probably got more room than we do, and that they've got PIE (St. Pete/Clearwater Airport) among others that are farily close.

Of course, being that TPA is practically across the street from the stadium, a quick arrival and getaway must be a factor.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Big777jet

Sun Jan 28, 2001 11:22 am

Stupid situation! Why can't they fly out of TPA to McDill Air Force Base? They have so much space huge ramps area. Dumb idea in TPA park on the 2 runways. It screwed it up traffic flows! It doesn't make a sense at all! Tampa airport manager is pretty numbskull!

Big777jet

j_hallgren

Sun Jan 28, 2001 2:30 pm

Given that distance from TIA to RJS(stadium) is VERY close..like some airport property is across street from it, and MacDill is few miles south, where would you put your private jet?
AND since MacDill is an active AFB, I doubt they would go for the idea..especially with the T-birds there and a C-5 and a F-117 and a B-2, etc, they have enough problems...plus the live Ricky Martin VIP concert on CBS tonite from Hanger 3 at MacDill...Makes sense now!
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

Philly Phlyer

Mon Jan 29, 2001 12:55 am

Why not park the airplanes at St. Pete just across the bay or take the empty planes to MCO (Orlando is only 80 miles away)? Both are relatively close enough.

maiznblu_757

Mon Jan 29, 2001 1:59 am

GOOD IDEA, MACDILL AFB! A good way for the US government to make a little extra money, right. I mean, not that they need it... lol. J/K

-maiznblu_757-
http://www.us.hsanet.net/user/maiznblu_757

Tom in NO

Mon Jan 29, 2001 4:46 am

Closing runways for reasons other than emergencies, construction, or maintenance is absurd, and I'm surprised the FAA hasn't requested TPA to reopen them. By closing 2 runways, airport management has, in effect, seriously reduced capacity at TPA, especially at a point in time when that capacity is desperately needed. They are basically restricting TPA controllers, etc in performing their duties, and trust me, after the game tonight, they'll be swamped. Also, that affects flights in other parts of the country, flights that are arriving or departing TPA, or will later on in the day.

Having spent almost 14 years in airport management at MSY, I can honestly say that no, it doesn't make sense.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

twa

Mon Jan 29, 2001 4:48 am

Yep, I went by TPA yesterday after buying a new Camaro, and I could tell.

TWA