Trvlr
Topic Author

TWA Officially Files To End Karabu

Tue Jan 30, 2001 9:03 am

TWA Seeks To End Discount Ticket Pact With Icahn Co.
Updated 1:47 PM ET January 29, 2001

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--Trans World Airlines Inc. (TWA) is seeking court authority to reject its discount ticket arrangement with an entity led by financier Carl Icahn, characterizing certain anti-termination provisions within the agreement as "unenforceable."

The request, filed late Friday with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del., brings to center stage an issue that has likely been one of the primary reasons behind Icahn's adamant opposition of AMR Corp.'s (AMR) American Airlines' bid to buy substantially all TWA's assets.

The 1993 discount ticket contract between TWA and Icahn's Karabu Corp. allows Karabu designee Lowestfare.com to purchase tickets from TWA at about 55% of the published fare. Lowestfare can then turn around and resell the tickets for its own profit, subject to certain conditions.

The American Airlines purchase arrangement, however, requires TWA to terminate, or "reject," the discount ticket deal.

Section 365 of the Bankruptcy Code generally allows a bankrupt party in its business judgment to opt whether to keep (assume) or reject current leases and contracts. The provision allows troubled entities to keep favorable arrangements while ridding itself of arrangements it determines to be unfavorable.

Icahn, in an apparent effort to avoid having the contract rejected in a bankruptcy filing, added certain provisions to the discount ticket contract that required TWA to assume, and not reject, the contract in the event it files for bankruptcy.

Counsel for Icahn couldn't be immediately reached for comment. Icahn hasn't yet filed a response to the rejection request.

In 1985, Icahn acquired a majority of TWA and three years later took the company private. In 1992, he ceded majority ownership of the airline to the company's creditors as part of a Chapter 11 reorganization. Although the company emerged from the filing in 1993, it again filed for Chapter 11 two years later in 1995.

TWA filed for Chapter 11 again on Jan. 10 in order to implement the sale of substantially all its assets to American Airlines.

Entities controlled by Icahn, including Karabu, High River Limited Partnership and Lowestfare have opposed the sale and related requests.

On Saturday, the U.S. District Court in Wilmington, Del., approved the bidding procedures, overruling objections by Icahn and others.

AA@DFW

RE: TWA Officially Files To End Karabu

Tue Jan 30, 2001 9:06 am

I hope that TWA gets their request approved.

AA@DFW

BH346

Tue Jan 30, 2001 9:15 am

GO TWA!!!

BH346
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

Trvlr
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2001 9:18 am

Yes Die Carl Die! Out out!!!

Aaron G.

Tue Jan 30, 2001 9:48 am

I wouldn't wish for his death....(little immature), but it should be interesting to see what happens legally here. Ichan has provisions in the Karabu contract that protect it from Bankruptcy, yet bankruptcy is designed to assist struggling carriers from relieving crushing debt load and obligations. Whats the precedent here?

Ichan sure is one smart ass, he engineered a hell of a deal for himself, one tough guy.

wolfpacker

Tue Jan 30, 2001 10:18 am

I wouldn't wish death on anyone either, how about that he end up broke and on the streets?  Wink/being sarcastic

Tue Jan 30, 2001 10:33 am

It's about freakin' time. I hope the courts see it TWA's way.

Don't wish death on someone...it isn't painful enough.  Smile

Corey777

Tue Jan 30, 2001 10:52 am

It doesn't seem like the Karabu contract is enforceable if TWA is completely eaten up by AMR. What flights would be applicable under Karabu? Any flight connecting via STL? AMR could just say that these are new AA flights routed through St. Louis, not holdovers from TWA and therefore not subject to Karabu. The contract provisions specify TWA tickets. If there's no TWA -- where are the tickets? I think Icahn has no case.

Trvlr
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2001 11:11 am

My god people, I was only saying that in a figurative sense!!!  Smile

Aaron G.

AA737-823

Trvlr And COREY777

Tue Jan 30, 2001 11:34 am

I agree with Corey- life is far more painful than death. Except for Ichann. Believeing in going to one of two places, I am sure that his death will be far more painful than that of many others. I can't comment on his religious beliefs, but actions betray thoughts.

Carl Ichann and Frank Lorenzo belong in the same solitary confinement cell- alone together. I have some other comments on what I would hope to happen to them in a jail setting, but this is a public board. And I don't believe in wasting soap.

Anyone who would do that to a business AND have a negative affect on the economy by limiting competition is clearly only in it for profit. Fortunately, a business run that way doesn't make a profit. Well I say fortunately, but I guess it isn't fortunate to loyal TWA or Eastern fans.

Randy

blink182

Tue Jan 30, 2001 11:55 am

Go TWA/AA! Kick Carl's ASS!!
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

OH-LGA

Tue Jan 30, 2001 1:54 pm

I think it's plenty of punishment the way we are all grossly misspelling Carl Icahn/Ichan/Ichann/Buttface (oops that last one is mine  Smile), but then again...
NO Big grin

I hope this Karabu deal goes down the tubes, that deal was one heck of a parasite feeding off of TWA...

Moi,
Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

747-451

Tue Jan 30, 2001 2:27 pm

I hope Frank Lorenzo has Carl Ichan's Love Child!!!!!

There is a "special place" in Hell for the two of them, right in Satan's mouth. Read Dante's Inferno!

Trvlr
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2001 2:30 pm

How about we put them on a perpetual America West flight. Now that would be hell. Big grin

Aaron G.

B747-437B

Tue Jan 30, 2001 3:24 pm

When Karabu was signed, it was a legal agreement that was binding on both parties. TWA was under duress at the time, but could always have opted for chapter 7 in lieu of accepting the agreement. However, they chose to make a deal with the devil and have paid the price for it.

Karabu is not going to just go away whether AMR wants it to or not. The only way Karabu will go away is if AMR buys out Icahn with a sweetheart deal - but they will not commit to that until they are sure of a purchase price for TWA.

Don Carty is a smart man, but Carl Icahn is smarter and more experienced. Never underestimate the snake.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

TWFirst

RE: B747-437B

Tue Jan 30, 2001 4:40 pm

I disagree. Look at it this way: TWA's assets are being bought out of bankruptcy court in an auction process. American is currently the only bidder. The possibility exists that a higher bidder will enter the picture (the auction will be held in March). Let's say American didn't agree to acquire substantially all of TWA's assets and and airline's assets were bought by several airlines out of auction. Then what would happen to the Karabu contract? TWA as an incorporated entity is dead (or will be at some point in this process). Thus, contracts with this former incorporated entity also die. The contract was written so that TWA couldn't declare bankruptcy just so that it could reorganize itself to void the contract and emerge as an independent airline as it was before it entered such a bankruptcy. Also, the contract was written to survive if the company was bought or merged through a stock transaction. But the current scenario is different, and thus Karabu goes bye bye.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

B747-437B

Tue Jan 30, 2001 5:17 pm

You raise good points TWFirst. However, the TWA deal is not a straightforward chapter 11 but rather one under section 363. There are petitions pending before the court by multiple parties to change this to a straightforward chapter 11. While I am not familiar enough with bankruptcy code to comment on the intricacies, it is my understanding that a straightforward chapter 11 reorganization would include Karabu as an outstanding liability that is correspondingly linked to certain assets. I am not certain of the specifics, but this is the opinion of persons who are, that Karabu would be saddled (or at least Icahn will petition for it to be saddled) upon the party that acquires those assets. It will be a long drawn out legal battle, and Icahn's lawyers have proven their ability to pull magic out of thin air before!
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos