QuadstarA343E!

Cyprus & Airbus...

Wed Jan 31, 2001 12:49 am

I read on the internet news this morning that Cyprus Airways will stick around with Airbus again and place an order for some airbus aircraft to re-place a310s.....But they don't point out what aircraft it would be replaced with....Does any one know if they are looking to replace the A320s too?? and what planes would go for the A310?? I think the A330-200 would be a perfect replacemnt..Any toughts on this one?

rgrds--QSA343

johnnybgoode

RE: Cyprus & Airbus...

Wed Jan 31, 2001 2:49 am

the a-330-200 would be a suitable replacement regarding the size. i know that the 332s can be profitable on short-haul flights but i´m wondering if cyprus is really going to get a long-haul aircraft just for shorthaul-flights, perhaps some medium-haul flights to the near east (dxb?).
but actually, what else could they choose?

rgds
daniel
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

OLYMPIC

Wed Jan 31, 2001 3:13 am

I think Nicosia doesn´t yet know how to replace the A310. The A310 is only needed for flights to London and Athens. But the aim of Cyprus is to have more frequencies rather then to have a widebody a/c with low frequencies. So there is no decision made to buy A330 or A32x.
BTW CY is under negotiation to sell the A310 to Iran Air.

Emile

Wed Jan 31, 2001 3:49 am

they fly daily with A310 to amsterdam.
and they have about 8 A320 in there fleet
emile

OLYMPIC

Wed Jan 31, 2001 4:09 am

The A310 is also flying to Frankfurt, they have to utilize the A310 in some way! But i still think they only need it for LHR and ATH.
And the A320´s are getting video screen approximately from April 2001, so they aren´t going to replace them!

kaitak

Wed Jan 31, 2001 4:14 am

They will certainly need an A310 replacement, if not necessarily to replace them one for one - I would expect to see two firm and one or two options on the 332, then about 3 or 4 A321s, which would be closer in size to the 310.

CY was one of the (few) airlines where the 764 was thought to be in with a dog's chance of getting anywhere, but it looks as if it failed. Politics, admittedly, had a role in it, since Cyprus is looking at EU membership and an Airbus decision would certainly help (or so, no doubt, Euro diplomats assured the PM). If so, it was getting one back on Boeing after what happened just 100 miles Southeast (Israel), but having said that, with 8 A320s, a few 319s on order and A310s already in the fleet, Boeing was always going to have a battle on its hands . . .

englandair

Wed Jan 31, 2001 4:18 am

How old are their A310s?

agrodemm

Wed Jan 31, 2001 7:41 am

Something that may be of relation with this topic.....
If I remember well, 2-3 months ago, the Cypriot Minister of Tourism visited NY and had many discussions with American Officials regarding promoting tourism in Cyprus, including officials from major airlines to persuade them to include non-stop flights to Cyprus from the States, mainly NYC-JFK.
If we also take into consideration the considerable Greek-Cypriot population in the USA, mainly NYC Metro area, may be we will see a A-330, flying non-stop to JFK in the near future.

Wed Jan 31, 2001 8:21 am

What does everyone think about a partnership or possible merger between Olympic Airways and Cyprus Airways to help promote tourism to Greece and Greek-Cypriot territories of Cyprus?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos