FLY777UAL

"Cut Here" Markers

Mon Apr 19, 1999 1:27 am

Why do some planes (usually the foreign carriers) have the red "cut here" markers on the top of the fuselage. I understand what they show to rescue crews, but why are they there?? Is it some government regulation or something? It makes some of the planes look awful with their carrier's livery and those.

Thanks in advance,

fly777ual

RE: Foreign Carriers

Mon Apr 19, 1999 1:56 am

What do you mean "foreign carriers". To me Continental, United, Air Canada etc are all foreign. You should be more specific. Not everybody is from the US.

FLY777UAL

Sorry...NON US Carriers

Mon Apr 19, 1999 2:01 am

non-us carriers.

RE: "Cut Here" Markers

Mon Apr 19, 1999 2:02 am

I don't know what you mean by "foreign"? Since you do not mention from what country's viewpoint it is foreign. Perhaps since this is a Swedish web site, you mean countries other then Sweden.

Sorry if this seems rather irrelevant, but just wanted to get this point off of my chest. I just don't think it should be taken for granted that everyone here is from the states.

RE: "Cut Here" Markers

Mon Apr 19, 1999 2:04 am

Geez, nevermind.. I must have had a non-refreshed view of the forum on my browser since I didn't notice that Flytime had already said what I said.

To Answer Fly777ual's Question

Mon Apr 19, 1999 2:35 am

I've seen those markings on Virgin Atlantic 747-200 planes. I have a British Airways model 747-200 that has those markings also. Maybe the British have a law that requires that.

If those markings look that bad to a plane, do you prefer looking at the livery without them or look at a plane crash burning and fire fighters arguing where to cut a hole to find survivors?

L-188

RE: To Answer Fly777ual's Question

Mon Apr 19, 1999 2:49 am

I know that if you walk into any airport fire station in this country there usually with be at least on poster of a common type of aircraft for that area that showes where all of the cut points on it are. I also belive that there is a manual that is out there that you have to have at a airport that has the cut points and door locations and operating instructions on it.

I know I have an old military TM(Technical Manual) at home that has this information for some of the old US Army Types.

The markins are actually there to show where to cun and not hit a stringer or a service galley, or wiring underneath the skin of the airplane.

Guys lets not jump down Fly777ual throat over the definition of Forgien. I slip up sometimes and refer to overseas operators as forgien instead of their country of origin. Force of habit I guess.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.