iwantanL1011

The Desert: Jet Heaven?

Mon Feb 05, 2001 10:55 am

I've never understood why perfectly good airplanes go to the desert... What is up with that?

Do companies who retire their jets to the desert still own them? I.E. TWA L1011's.. Who owns them now?

And, are there no operators who are interested in
these??????

It seems like, since there is no income/value from a desert plane, only depreciation, the price would have to drop until it was affordable to someone..

My guess is that there are a LOT of L1011s in
the desert... Eastern, TWA, now Delta... Will these
planes ever be revived?

FlagshipAZ

RE: The Desert: Jet Heaven?

Mon Feb 05, 2001 11:04 am

Some will survive as freighters while others will be scapped for spare parts. The aircrafts that are parked in the desert are usually still owned by the airlines and/or the leasing companies. Remember when the 707s were retired?? Guess who bought a majority of them? The US Air Force, to keep their C-135 fleet going.
My guess the same thing will happen with the DC-10s.
Fed Ex will get some while the others probably will dismantled for spares for the KC-10 fleet. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

RE: The Desert: Jet Heaven?

Mon Feb 05, 2001 12:45 pm

If you want to see the remaining TWA 1011's, head to kingman, AZ. There you'll see why they are sitting there and will continue to sit there. No engines, avionics or much of anything else left. Except the guy who works there and barked at me for getting a closer look at airplanes that will probably never fly again(?!).