Olympic A-340
Topic Author

If The Earth Is A Pyramid...would Flying Be Diff?

Tue Feb 06, 2001 5:45 am

IMAGINATION RULES ON THIS ONE...
If the earth were a pyramid, how would the principles of flight be different? How would it be different to get from point a to point b? Most important, how would Navigation be different?? Anything else you can think of write it here...How would Aviation (principles, flight etc) be different if the earth were a pyramid?

Arrivederci
Olympic A-340

RE: If The Earth Is A Pyramid...would Flying Be Diff?

Tue Feb 06, 2001 5:54 am

get a life you idiot

RIX

Tue Feb 06, 2001 6:00 am

A hint: just imagine the Earth still a sphere but with four HUGE mountains... I think then there are only four areas to build airports - in the center of each pyramid side! Everything else would be pretty much the same...  Smile

Trvlr

Tue Feb 06, 2001 6:12 am

Qantas747-sp: Jeez lay off him why don't you?

I think if the earth were pyramidical, there would be some major problems with going from one "face" of the earth to the other, so much that "stop-off" airports would have to be built periodically at "edges" of each face so that aircraft could land there and passengers/cargo be transported overland to the other face and resume flying. This is because the minute an aircraft flies off one face of the pyramid, it is automatically at a 135-degree angle in relation to the new face it would over. This would undoubtedly cause some problems(!) and if anyone tried it I doubt they would be able to get their plane upright in time to miss the ground.

My 2 cents...

Aaron G.

Tue Feb 06, 2001 6:12 am

What if the earth was a doulbe helix, with each strand rotating. How long would a flight from Singapore to Pluto take?

This post is ridiculous.

jaysit

Tue Feb 06, 2001 6:23 am

I think its a cool posting (ridiculous as it may be).

If the earth were a pyramid, gravitational forces would be very different at different points on all 3 faces. So would centripetal, centrifugal forces. I doubt if Bernoullis principal would apply, nor would most of the standard laws of newtonian physics that govern lift, drag, etc. But I bet that airline food would be just as awful, and that airlines would lose your luggage and send it to the wrong pyramidal face.

Perhaps, we'd all be flying around in rocket ships dressed like weirdos from Star Trek and making fun of people who live in gravitationally deprived parts of the world.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

TWFirst

Tue Feb 06, 2001 6:27 am

Would it be a 3-sided or a 4-sided pyramid? Or maybe an infinite-sided pyramid: a cone.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Matt D

Tue Feb 06, 2001 6:37 am

Why not a trapezoid?

Trvlr

Tue Feb 06, 2001 7:12 am

Let's just stick to a 3-sided "Egyptian" pyramid for now.
----
On second thought about my previous post, I drew some diagrams in Chem class and found that all the pilots would need to do to align themselves with the face of the pyramid as they enter a new one is go into a gradual dive during the time they are overflying the "tip" of the pyramid. This probably wouldn't be hard to do, although I think some pilots could get confused if they are flying over large ocean or cloudcover, which could be disastrous.

Gravity would also be a problem...would planes be drawn closer to the ground when they are flying over the center of a face of the pyramid??

Aaron G.

TWFirst

Tue Feb 06, 2001 7:15 am

Egyptian pyramids were 4 sided.

Trvlr

Tue Feb 06, 2001 7:16 am

Whoops... Big grin

Aaron G.

ren41

Tue Feb 06, 2001 7:17 am

Thats a very strange post!! How did u think of that one?

Ren41

wolfpacker

Tue Feb 06, 2001 7:29 am

Red

Tue Feb 06, 2001 7:47 am

Odd topic...yet strangely intriguing. It's like one of Einstein's thought experiments. If Earth were a pyramid, gravity would be all messed up. Every time you leave the center of one of the faces, you would begin to feel gravity pulling you back toward the center of the face. The farther you are from the center, the stronger the pull. In order to fly (assuming you have a normal airplane) you would have to be able to pitch your plane up or down so that lift is always perpendicular to the gravitational force (pointing toward the center of the pyramid). But as you move toward the edges, the pitch of the plane will be such that your nose must be pointing toward the ground. Unless you can generate lift that is greater than your thrust (have what sphere dwellers consider "vertical speed" greater than "horizontal speed") you will crash. After you cross the edge and move back toward the center of another face, the reverse occurs. This time you have your nose pointed away from the ground.

But anyway, I don't think people could live anywhere other than the centers of the faces since they're constantly being dragged there by gravity. But then again, I was never great at physics so I could be totally wrong.

Olympic A-340
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2001 7:54 am

Geez for those of you who are calling me an idiot...thanx the feeling is mutual. This is for Geometry, and I am trying to think of some ideas, so lay the hell off of me OK!... Thanx to you guyz who tried to give some creative ideas  Smile

Arrivederci
Olympic A-340

Red Panda

Tue Feb 06, 2001 8:37 am

first of all, you are thinking too much, but tho, I still appreciate your creativeness.

If it is a pyramid, it would be much easier to fly to the space. First of all, to make the earth a pyramid, there must be some ineven distribution of gravity. Probably there would be way less gravitational force along all edges/ridges, so a/cs or space shuttles could actually fly to the space w/ much less fuel. in other words, less gravitational force=> more lift.

hope this "help"!!!

regards,
R Panda

cfalk

Tue Feb 06, 2001 1:42 pm

I don't particularly think of it as a stupid question - rather I think of it as the type of question you would think of sitting in a dark room, smoking pot, and staring at that old Pink Floyd poster with the Pyramids on it (and might as well be listening to PF while you're at it).

Ppphhhhtttt!....Dude, like what if the earth was not like round, but a poly... trapa.... Dude, like what they have in Egypt, man. Ppphhhhtttt!....  Smokin cool

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

TWFirst

RE: Cfalk

Tue Feb 06, 2001 1:53 pm

Yes, those were the days......

(Did I say that??)

Anyways, if the Earth were a pyramid, I would hate to live on the point... ouch, that would hurt.

toxtethogrady

If The Earth Were A Toilet,...

Tue Feb 06, 2001 2:15 pm

would you fly off the handle?

Oh, wow, it's too late in the evening for my mind to be tossing around such esoterica...

UA747-400

Tue Feb 06, 2001 4:55 pm

uhmmm maybe air currents would differ wildly because of incidence of sunlight on the faces. Now if the translation and rotation factors of the faces behave as standard (23 1/2 tilt, which in space dores not incurr in any abnormal factor) each face would have an almost uniform spread of sunrays heating the air and because of this huge clashes of warm and cold air would result in very strong currents thanks to gravity and the edges of the pyramids.As a result of this the atmosphere of the earth would be an extreme change of temperatures which would not be beneficial to smooth flying. Or maybe its just to late and I have no idea of what ive just written but. Anyways....thanks for the intriguing post.
regards

JetService

Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:27 am

What would air travel be like if rain fell up?

If geese were made of jet-fuel, would a bird-strike be a good thing?

Which airline has the prettiest cabin curtains?

Which aircraft has the most durable windshield wiper blades?

Which airport has the coolest employee badges?

Which African airline has the best pretzels?

If runway numbers were written in calligraphy, would there be more near-misses?

Sorry, couldn't resist...honest
"Shaddap you!"

RIX

Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:47 am

...and more: what if the Earth was an EMPTY sphere and we lived in the INNER surface (for those who knows: like Neznajka na Lune, Dunno on the Moon)? What about the air travel inside a sphere? All right, I know, the center of gravity is still IN THE CENTER, and all of us would "fall" there... but what if (somehow!) it is not? Big grin

cfalk

Wed Feb 07, 2001 5:53 am

Ah, but if the Earth was hollow, it would have much less mass, and therefore less gravity. The Earth's rotation would provide centrifugal force holding us against the outer shell - although everyone might be forced towards the equator.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Sasha

Wed Feb 07, 2001 6:00 am

If you notice that it's some law of travelling through the universe that almost ALL objects (planets, etc) in space are spheres (those have been found). So, there's no chance our Earth would ever be pyramid.
An2/24/28,Yak42,Tu154/134,IL18/62/96,B737/757/767,A310/320/319,F100,BAe146,EMB-145,CRJ,A340-600,B747-400,A-330-300,A-340

prebennorholm

Wed Feb 07, 2001 8:32 am

What if the Earth was a cube, or a die?
I would want to live on the side with six islands.
We on the sixer side would combine forces with the fivers. But let them know who are supperior.
Together we would destroy the four side.
On the three side we would establish colonies.
People on the two islands we would make our slaves.
While we would ignore those on the single island.

In my nightmares I often dream that the world really is a die....

Happy dreams, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

maiznblu_757

Wed Feb 07, 2001 8:38 am

What if the earth were a piece of jello? How would you land a plane on that? What kinda topic is this anyway?

-maiznblu_757-
http://www.us.hsanet.net/user/maiznblu_757

maiznblu_757

Cfalk

Wed Feb 07, 2001 8:41 am

I see the relativeness, wouldnt that mean more fuel efficiency? I like my jello idea. LOL

-maiznblu_757-
http://www.us.hsanet.net/user/maiznblu_757

Olympic A-340
Topic Author

Wed Feb 07, 2001 8:41 am

Ok sorry, I tried to get some ideas for a project I am doing in Geometry...you guyz wanna burn me or something??  Angry God lay off me ok!

Arrivederci
Olympic A-340

prebennorholm

Wed Feb 07, 2001 8:58 am

Oh Olympic A-340, you should have told that in advance. Now we are too tired to deal with serious stuff.
You will have to start a new thread tomorrow  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Cheers, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Trvlr

Wed Feb 07, 2001 9:18 am

The thing is, Olympic A-340 DID say quite a few posts up in the thread that this was for a school project...yet some people just don't have much brain-keypad coordination and continue type things that look stupid.

----

I think that the only way to solve the gravity problem would be to have a center of gravity that is actually not a defined center, but more or less a line of points with gravitational pull arranged in a way that would make all parts of the surface of the pyramid the same distance from a "point" of gravity. Does anyone follow me on this??

Aaron G.

KLM747

Wed Feb 07, 2001 9:29 am

Yeh, I agree with you, Maiznblu_757.  Big grin lol

KLM747 Big grin

fly_yhm

Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:55 am

What if we lived inside earth like a baby bird live in an egg before hatching except on a bigger scale.

very rediclous.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

wannabe

Wed Feb 07, 2001 12:22 pm

I don't check the forum for 2 days and this kinda crap happens. What if pigs flew? How would GE, PW and RR handle the POD? I thought this was a forum on civil aviation.

An-225

Thu Feb 08, 2001 1:14 pm

Really interesting, but I don't think I can add anything to the responses that were already made, so here are my two cents - if grandma had balls, she'd be grandpa.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos