flyf15

Why No Continental GUM-US Mainland?

Wed Feb 07, 2001 1:27 pm

Continental has a sizeable operation in Guam, yet no nonstop from Guam to the US Mainland...why not? There is a GUM-HNL-IAH flight, does that support all the traffic adaquately?

GUM-LAX could be flown with either a B767-200ER or B777-200ER. GUM-IAH could be flown by the B777-200ER.

thomacf

RE: Why No Continental GUM-US Mainland?

Wed Feb 07, 2001 1:59 pm

I'm guessing there is really no demand to fill a widebody on this route. I still don't understand why CO has a hub in Guam. The pop. can't be that high to have alot of O&D traffic. Why would anyone want to fly CO to Asia and have to make numerous connections from the mainland? I don't understand this hub at all?

Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:02 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there used to be a GUM-LAX flight. Flyf15, with CO's shortage of widebodies I doubt you'll see a GUM-Mainland flight anytime soon. Besides, AirMike feeds mainly from Japan, not the mainland. CO and AirMike are in the process of phasing out all DC-10's leaving AirMike with only 738's. Who knows what the future holds, but with CO committed to international expansion out of EWR first, and IAH second, putting a 777 or 767 in GUM would be a serious misallocation of much-needed equipment.

Peace,
COexERJ

Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:08 pm

Thomacf,

As I alluded to in my previous post, COmicronesia (CMI or "AirMike") relies on traffic to/from Japan. Many of the small micronesian islands are extremely popular with Japanese tourists. True, not much O&D from GUM, but a small hub in the middle of some of the most beautiful little islands in the Pacific isn't a bad idea, and suprisingly, AirMike has load factors which are fairly high.

Peace,
COexERJ

Trvlr

Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:25 pm

IMO It's better (easier, more cost-effective) for CO anyway to just put pax on a flight to NRT and have them connect on codeshare flights from the Northwest hub.

Aaron G.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos