flyf15

Why No Continental GUM-US Mainland?

Wed Feb 07, 2001 1:27 pm

Continental has a sizeable operation in Guam, yet no nonstop from Guam to the US Mainland...why not? There is a GUM-HNL-IAH flight, does that support all the traffic adaquately?

GUM-LAX could be flown with either a B767-200ER or B777-200ER. GUM-IAH could be flown by the B777-200ER.

thomacf

RE: Why No Continental GUM-US Mainland?

Wed Feb 07, 2001 1:59 pm

I'm guessing there is really no demand to fill a widebody on this route. I still don't understand why CO has a hub in Guam. The pop. can't be that high to have alot of O&D traffic. Why would anyone want to fly CO to Asia and have to make numerous connections from the mainland? I don't understand this hub at all?

Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:02 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there used to be a GUM-LAX flight. Flyf15, with CO's shortage of widebodies I doubt you'll see a GUM-Mainland flight anytime soon. Besides, AirMike feeds mainly from Japan, not the mainland. CO and AirMike are in the process of phasing out all DC-10's leaving AirMike with only 738's. Who knows what the future holds, but with CO committed to international expansion out of EWR first, and IAH second, putting a 777 or 767 in GUM would be a serious misallocation of much-needed equipment.

Peace,
COexERJ

Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:08 pm

Thomacf,

As I alluded to in my previous post, COmicronesia (CMI or "AirMike") relies on traffic to/from Japan. Many of the small micronesian islands are extremely popular with Japanese tourists. True, not much O&D from GUM, but a small hub in the middle of some of the most beautiful little islands in the Pacific isn't a bad idea, and suprisingly, AirMike has load factors which are fairly high.

Peace,
COexERJ

Trvlr

Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:25 pm

IMO It's better (easier, more cost-effective) for CO anyway to just put pax on a flight to NRT and have them connect on codeshare flights from the Northwest hub.

Aaron G.