Golfhaus
Topic Author

One US-Berlin Nonstop?

Thu Feb 08, 2001 2:23 am

Just out of curiousity, I tried to pull up non-stop flights between the United States and Berlin. I only found one, a United IAD-TXL. Am I just not finding them, or is that really the only way to get to Berlin non-stop from the States? Why the lack of service?

nickofatlanta

RE: One US-Berlin Nonstop?

Thu Feb 08, 2001 2:26 am

Actually, the Berlin - IAD flight you pulled up will be operated by LH with an A340 starting this spring / summer (date??) - code-share with UA.

DL used to fly nonstop to TXL from JFK - it was given up a year or two ago.

SailorOrion

Thu Feb 08, 2001 2:29 am

Well you're absolutly right: there is only one nonstop TXL-IAD (operated by LH, BTW).
Reasons:
-Berlin is by no means a hub (2% transfer pax)
-Berlin is open for air traffic since 1990 only
-Economics is Berlin are as good as in DUS, FRA or MUC
-Germany as a small country has already 2 hub: FRA and MUC
-Berlin's 3 airports are small, overcrowded and rotten.
-A new international won't open before 2007

Golfhaus
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2001 2:56 am

Thanks for the correction on the UA/LH service... guess I should've paid more attention to those flight numbers.  Smile Is this a residual effect of the unique status Berlin had during the Cold War?

RayChuang

Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:09 am

I think it'll be VERY interesting to see what will happen to international flights going in and out of Germany once the new Berlin Brandenberg International is fully operational.

Will the likes of AA, CO, DL, and UA fly non-stops there? Or how about Asian airlines like CA, CI, CX, JL, KE, MH, SQ and TG?

Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:21 am

Don't think so RayChuang. Economy over there is just not as good as in the south or midwest Germany.

B737-700

SailorOrion

Thu Feb 08, 2001 4:25 am

Well, I guess it'll take quite some time unitl that happen, in MUC we has a similar situation with the airport, it opened 92 and only recently there are some important intercon flights  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ctbarnes

Thu Feb 08, 2001 4:36 am

I think Berlin is a city with a large amount of potential for growth in air traffic. For one thing, it is the capital of Germany now, meaning there will be an increasing demand for longhaul flights, with the high-margin passengers to support it coming from government officials, diplomats and businessmen who have to do business with the Government. As the economic situation improves in eastern Germany, this will give a further boost.

Facilities right now are a major problem. None of the three airports are really suited for long-haul traffic, however once the new airport is completed, air traffic could conceivably grow as happened in Munich.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

airsicknessbag

RE: Ctbarnes

Thu Feb 08, 2001 5:20 am

Charles,

they THINK they are the capital: the real decisions are made elsewhere, Berlin is just for the show. important financial and economical centers are Rhein/Main (Frankfurt), the Stuttgart area (automobile industry) and the Ruhr area (Duesseldorf).

Daniel Smile

Golfhaus
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2001 5:32 am

Well, yes, but being the seat of government must count for something. New York is the financial center of the US, Detroit the automotive center, Los Angles the entertainment center. Does that make Washington DC an irrelevant city? Certainly not.

svenvdm

Thu Feb 08, 2001 5:48 am

I'm sure traffic will pick up once the new airport opens. Berlin is a boom-town right now. I've been there twice in the last three years and they're really trying to build a capital.
It's already THE most cosmopolitan city in Germany. And I say that as a 'Frankfurter'. Actually Frankfurt and Munich are just towns compared to Berlin...

Sven

ctbarnes

Thu Feb 08, 2001 5:48 am

Golfhaus is right. While Berlin may not be an economic center, it is definately now the political center of Germany. Furthermore, as ties increase and East-block countries are admitted into the EU, it's possible (and I'm only speculating here-I have nothing to base this on) the economic center of gravity could slowly start to shift to Berlin as well as a means of being "closer to the action." Berlin has the potential to become a regional financial and economic center rivalling Frankfurt as trade eastwards continues to expand-and being the political capital of Germany dosen't hurt either.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

johnnybgoode

Thu Feb 08, 2001 6:32 am

Ctbarnes and golfhaus, you just spoke my mind!  Big thumbs up
i certainly have no facts to support this, but now that the government has finally moved, i guess Berlin will become even more important.
hope they´re soon getting to start on the new airport because berlin really needs one, TXL is soooo overcrowded. the right airside infrastructure should trigger some growth as well.
but who knows?
hope the new TXL-IAD on lufthansa performs well, so that berlin won´t slip into the "intercontinental gap" once again.

rgds
daniel
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.