762er
Topic Author

Airliner Ranges

Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:21 pm

How do the airlines determine how far certain planes can fly? I always look at the ranges on Airbus and Boeing airliners to see how far they are capable of flying and find that they're capabilities far exceed the ranges they fly. For example, I heard Delta is suspending the ATL-HNL route because the 764 has trouble making that flight with full capacity, and yet I look at the Boeing web site which says the range on the 764 is 5,635nm which is about 1,000nm more than the distance between ATL and HNL. If that's it's real range, what's the problem? Are there regulations that don't allow the airlines to utilize their aircraft?

Trvlr

RE: Airliner Ranges

Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:34 pm

I am very unenlightened concerning the Delta 764 ATL-HNL situation, but I think it has something to do with Delta's unions not wanting to fly on a plane that doesn't have crew rest seats for as long as ATL-HNL. I am sure someone else can answer this question better.

Aaron G.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos