airmale

Boeing Unveils Tri Engined Flying Wing

Sun Feb 11, 2001 6:42 pm

Boeing released a picutre of its future 800 seat airliner, its a tri yes! Tri enginged flying wing, ugly yet surprisingly quite attractive too, the wings are blended into the fuselage if you can all it that, gone is the familair tubular cabin, most of the people will NOT be seated near windows instead the a/c has cameras at the end of each winglet to show whats happening outside, the a/c is also a double decker and cruises at the same height and speed as the present day 747-400, Boeing said the plave could become operational in ten years time, for all of us who cry over bad liveries theres sad news, the a/c has no tail all it can support are logos on the winglets which are almost tail size as for a fuselage colour scheme i think we should forget that can you imagine a stealth bomber in a paint scheme, the picture was released by Agence France Press(AFP) yesterday in a local newspaper, any one know any thing more about it? have pictures to post Confused
.....up there with the best!

KLM747

RE: Boeing Unveils Tri Engined Flying Wing

Sun Feb 11, 2001 9:50 pm

Well here are some websites about the BWB. http://members.home.net/rebid/bldwing.htm
http://oea.larc.nasa.gov/PAIS/BWB.html

Here are some pictures.

KLM747 Big grin

caribb

Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:28 am

Hummm interesting. there was a large article about this jet in the Montreal Gazette yesterday too..the picture was slightly different than what is shown above.. the engines were mounted ontop but were in more traditinal engine casings..

This is not a new idea. Airbus also has a version of this. Go to Flug Revue's website http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRheft/FRH0101/FR0101in.htm and check out their version. They seem very unusual and make me wonder a few things..

1. Will people like sitting in an environment with no access to natural light?
2. How will airports support such a wide aircraft body? Traditional boarding gates would be useless.
3. How would the manufacturer "stretch" or 'shorten" this model if they were to make a variant?
4. Can traditional runways handle such a jet? ie: will the landing gear still be within the traditional underbelly or wider? If it isn't more widely spaced it will likely look strange on the ground. (not that that matters)
5. With exits only on the front and back of the wings what happens when people have to escape during an emergency? Will it be easier or more difficult.. the wings will include the fuel I presume.
6. lastly.. will thegeneral public accept this. In the gazette article they say this is Boeing's biggest hurdle since the technology for this exists with th B-2 bomber.

KLM747

Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:34 am

1. I did see a BWB with some windows on it, so I guess there will be a little light.
2. I have also heard that the wings fold up and will be about the same span as a 777.

KLM747 Big grin

USAFHummer

Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:43 am

Whats the wingspan on that thing?
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

KLM747

Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:07 am

As envisioned, the BWB wingspan would be 67 feet wider than a Boeing 747-400, which would still allow use of existing runways and taxiways.

KLM747 Big grin

Ealsys1

Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:11 am

The Miami Herald published an article in yesterday's (2/10/01) business section regarding the blended wing concept (787??) It seems Boeing is concerned that passengers would not like the fact that most seats would be inside seats (few windows!) and is conducting focus groups to gauge consumer acceptance to this concept. Their solution would be seatback TV's for everyone providing entertainment as well as views of the outside! In my opinion, I like window seats and watching the world below. I think the A380 would eat the Blended Wing concept for lunch!

Sam

ren41

Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:14 am

I doubt this will ever make it into production!! But if it does that would be awesome!!!

Ren41

MAH4546

Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:15 am

I personally have no intrest what so ever of flying isolated inside the wing of an aircraft in a 20-40-20 configuration. Sorry. This concpet is too far ahead of it's time. If it offered speed advantage, then, yes, I would take the sacrifice, but this plane (787?) is no faster than a 744. I'll take the A380, thank you.
a.

Ealsys1

Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:22 am

I wonder if Boeing checks out these forums for reactions to their concepts???

Sam

caravelle

RE: Ealsys1: Nah

Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:24 am

Don't think so....

- Caravelle
Trains and boats and planes....

Ealsys1

Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:26 am

Would be pretty funny huh!!

caravelle

Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:30 am

...yup. But they don't....

- caravelle
Trains and boats and planes....

Ilyushin96M

Flying Wing Idea Hardly A New One

Mon Feb 12, 2001 3:42 am

The idea of the blended wing body was pioneered by Burnelli in the '20s, but the idea was suppressed by not only the US government, but also Boeing and Douglas. Burnelli's blended wing body aircraft were safer in a crash than any airliner design of the time, and they were more efficient, providing higher lift, better passenger and cargo space (inside a SQUARE, rather than rounded, fuselage) and overall better economy. The reason for the suppression of the ideas and designs of Burnelli were very similar to the Big Three putting the Tucker Company out of business in the '40s - too many revolutionary ideas, too much catching up to do, and too much money would have had to have been spent on completely new designs.

It's interesting that now, Boeing is using an amazing design idea developed in the early part of the 20th Century to create an airliner which will surpass everything else in the sky today and for many years to come. In actuality, we have Boeing to thank in part for the relatively inefficient, comparably unsafe aircraft which have been plying the skies for the past 80 years.

Do a web search on Burnelli and see what information is there. It's pretty sobering.

cba

RE: Flying Wing Idea Hardly A New One

Mon Feb 12, 2001 3:55 am

BWB's are the future of airplanes. I'm sure Boeing will find a way to compensate for loss the of windows. Sunroofs maybe?

na

Mon Feb 12, 2001 4:26 am

All studies and realisations of Flying wings so far have ended in desaster.
I´m not curious in flying such a thing without windows. How will you evacuate it? I guess it will be claustrophobic and I don´t believe in the future of the BWB.
But it looks very interesting. No doubt.

airmale

Mon Feb 12, 2001 4:44 am

OH GOD!!! PANIC ATTACK & CLAUSTROPHOBIA are the first words that come to mind seeing the interior, I was picturing oceanliner type settings Smile give me the A380 any time and like Caribb I also saw a different picture in the "DAWN" here in Karachi with the traditional engines mounted on pylons, how can Boeing say its going to be flying in ten years Confused
.....up there with the best!

AirbusDriver

Mon Feb 12, 2001 5:02 am

i thinks it's a good idea but i don't think that we'll see something like that in 10 year maybe in 50.

RayChuang

Mon Feb 12, 2001 5:11 am

Personally, I think Boeing right now is already talking with a number of airlines about the possibility of the BWB jet airliner.

I mean, look at the potential advantages:

1. It takes up less ramp space than a 777-200ER, if you include folding wings.

2. Because the shape is a natural lifting body design, the BWB will likely not need the long runway requirements of the A380.

3. The plane has 15-20% better seat mile costs than even the A380. This means we could carry 800 pax from JFK to HKG easily.

4. The interior design allows for considerable flexibility in placement of seating and lounge areas.

I think Boeing very serious about this, and they could announce the start of the project within 2-3 years.

caribb

Mon Feb 12, 2001 5:13 am

Despite my reservations posted earlier I still would like to see this and Airbus' version built. They would be the most unusual planes in the skies. I suppose the only advantage to it's design would be technical and through cost savings resulting in lower airfares. Other than that why do this? If you look at the drawing in he first reply at the top it shows 5 separate double decker cabins, one on each side of the plane. Each one is a 'narrow body" concept.. Isn't that abit of a step backwards. I prefer a widebody interior over a narrow body especially on long flights. Wouldn't it be ironic building the widest plane in existance and still stick people in a tubular environement.. they still have some work to do.

Mon Feb 12, 2001 5:16 am

In thing the BWB idea blows. Just imagine sitting at the airport watching huge wings, how boring would that be.

cicadajet

Mon Feb 12, 2001 5:27 am

with 25% fuel savings this thing IS going to fly. The B-2 flies. Northrup tried this 50 years ago and suffered crashes and setbacks..but some political. As Ilyushin96M pointd out the idea goes back before this. Its an idea not of the future per se, but one that has been held back. Its high time it was tried. Boeing should go for broke on this. If it works, and MegaBus(t) will be obsolete over night.

JAL

Mon Feb 12, 2001 6:23 am

Can't wait for the new Boeing!!!!!
Work Hard But Play Harder

Joni

Mon Feb 12, 2001 6:56 am

I don't know exactly why Boeing (and to a lesser extent Airbus) is now floating the idea of BWB. The reason current airliners are in the current shape is that the shape is most economical. BWB has lower fuel costs, but its overall economics are not very good. If there has been some kind of technical breakthrough lately that has changed this, I don't know.

ctbarnes

Mon Feb 12, 2001 7:17 am

Interesting concept. I hope the pressurization problems can be sorted, because the current design is not only looks claustrophobic, but I also wonder how you'd evacuate the thing in an emergency. It might be possible to hang TV screens in the sidewalls with views of the outside as a means of remedying the claustrophobia if they have to go with the compartments, but I hope they find a way around this.

The whole idea is intreguing. I hope they continue to develop it.

In terms of Boeing reading our responses, Phil Condit may not necessarily read them, but I do know of at least one Boeing engineer on this forum. You never know...

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

prebennorholm

Mon Feb 12, 2001 8:18 am

What makes this plane possible, I think, will be artificial latheral- and pitch stability - like on the Northrop B-2A.
It was lack of those stabilities which killed the Northrop XB-35 and YB-49 programs in the late forties. But the B-2A proves that this is possible today.
But it brings a whole new dimention into the FBW term. Active stability control means a much more advances FBW system than what is used on the B-777 or Airbus planes.
I wonder how they will make it able to land in strong sidewind. If that's not possible, then it will be a serious operational disadvantage compared to ordinary airliner designs. Does somebody know how the B-2A does that?
One way might be to crab it on final approach and have a rotateable landing gear like the B-52 - and I think also on the C-5 Galaxy transport.
I kind of dislike the engine position. How will they maintain a good non-turbulent airflow at the engine inlet also at high angle of attack? The B-2A has a much more favourable inlet position, even if it is also a compromise.
The inlet problem might, however, easily be solved by three long "tubes" over the roof with a slight S-bend as on the #2 engine on B-727 and L-1011.
That was some technical aspects. Sure it would be a awesome plane, and I would gladly fly on a BWB plane.
But will airlines dare to buy it? If passengers dislike it, then it will have no chance. Airlines make a living out of selling tickets and fill their planes, and when they are successful, then it is because they sell more tickets than the competitors.
I could easily imagine that emotional reasons will prevent the idea from becoming a reality.
Best regards, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

B787

Sometimes We Do Look Around

Mon Feb 12, 2001 12:43 pm

we are always on the look out for customer and the flying publics opinion

widebody

Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:02 pm

In an article I read today, Boeing said it could fly in 3 years....that to me showed what a farce this BWB is.....it will fly, I have no doubt, but in 3 years??? To me it shows that Boeing is releasing all these press releases to screw up the A380.....simply redircet all the attention.......good PR work without a doubt, but to those who know the difficulty in building such a plane, 3 years show the article was written by PR staff, and not by engineers.........

redngold

Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:19 pm

I'm very claustrophobic in airplanes and prefer a window seat so I can see what's outside. Aside from the design of the a/c I could easily see the airlines charging exorbitant prices for the window seats on a BWB (ala first class) which would make it prohibitive for anyone with a minor level of claustrophobia or fear-of-flying to ride one of these things.

redngold
Up, up and away!

desertjets

Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:45 pm

The cross-sectional diagrams that were posted make this plane look horrible. One of the benefits of the blended wing is that you can really create a volumous space. The entire deck could conceivably be open all the way across, making it a very light and airy space. Any remember those Popular Science shorts with the Northrop Blendedwing airliner, it was like a flying club, the space was wonderfully open. Airlines and Boeing would need to think out of the box to layout the seats to maximize the benefits of this space. The one thing that gets in the way is that passengers want lots of overhead stowage, and overhead bins hanging down from the ceiling tend to kill this. The window thing I think is hardly an issue. These planes would be used on longhaul international flights, which are mostly flown at night. Any good lighting designer could make it very light inside. The evacuation isse is certainly a problem but I'd imagine there would be a lot of "overwing" exits....  Wink/being sarcastic. It certainly has potential if it is really worked out well.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

hkgspotter1

Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:18 pm

Well I'll never see a B2 at CLK but I might get to see the passenger version !!!

No windows is not for me.

EssentialPowr

Tue Feb 13, 2001 4:40 am

Hey Preben,

Did ya change your mind? No harm in that...

Your quote from Sep 07, 2000, Re: New 3 Engine A/C:

"No really new tri-jet has been designed in the last 30 years, and it will not happen again. The blended wing fuselage design will not happen as a commercial transport because such a design will have too narrow balance limits for practical use. The B2 bomber plane will be the only example..."

The failure of the YB49 was largely due, according to Ben Rich @ the Skunkworks, to the fact that the Air Force simply would not purchase a bomber that looked like the YB49 did. Maybe commercial pax won't trust it either, but the YB49 had excellent stability in all 3 axes. The lack of FBW technology had nothing to do with it...

I enjoy and appreciate your perspectives...
Cheers-

Tue Feb 13, 2001 5:42 am

I say this BWB thing looks like the airliner revolution Boeing needs. I like the design, but how commercially viable is it? I'll wait until I hear lots of positive talk from airlines before staking my net worth on Boeing stock, but if the BWB looks like it might be a go...
I can't wait to see a B787 flying wing...

prebennorholm

Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:12 am

Dear EssentialPowr,
Yeah, I have changed my mind in some respects.
The thread from last September was mainly about traditional 3 engined planes like DC-10, B727, Trident etc. I said that they will never happen again. ETOPS twins will take their place simply because ETOPS has been "invented" in the meantime.
A BWB plane with engines in the back can, however, have any number of engines, 2, 3, 4 or 5.

But where I may have changed my mind is concerning the narrow balance limits of a BWB plane. Commercial transport planes have the operational disadvantage compared to bomber planes that the centre of gravity is not too well known at take off. It is compensated with a relatively large tailplane which gives a wide margin. That's not possible on a BWB since it has no tailplane. But I think that it can be overcome by automated centre of gravity shift by pumping fuel around between different tanks for proper trimming.
Such trimming is already performed on some of the newer Airbusses, but only for optimising fuel burn during cruise, not for reducing stability margins. It would have to be a much faster and more active system on a BWB, and safe flight would depend on it, not just fuel burn figures.
The Concorde has the same problem, and in addition it has to deal with a centre of gravity shift needed for supersonic flight. It has a manual fuel transfer system operated by the flight engineer. It scrapes by with this somewhat rude system because the payload in any case is such a small portion of the total weight.
A BWB plane on the other hand... it's major advantage is that it can have a greater payload to MTOW ratio than any other type of plane - less metal, more passengers, that's the name of the game.

About the YB-49:
The whole truth may never be known. And certainly John Northrop and general Symington (USAF chief of staff in late 40'es) never agreed. The debate over the YB-49 continued more than 30 years after the cancellation of the YB-49 program. I think that it is pretty well summed up on http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/Northrop/yb-49/yb-49_blurb/yb-49_blurb.html
It also has a link to an article in Los Angeles Times from December 8th 1980 where John Northrop's version is well documented, read http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/Northrop/xb-35/xb-35_blurb/conspiracy/conspiracy.html

The whole truth has gone with the people involved, but I am totally convinced that the XB-35/YB-49 program, which suffered all sorts of problems, also was "ahead of its time" because a much needed active computer based stability control system was not available yet. The B-2A took advantage of that. And the fact that the computers on the bomber will always know the plane's centre of gravity within a fraction of an inch.

New subject (almost):
You may also have a look at http://www.zagi.com/html/slope_zagis.html - I play with such a thing when flying my $1k+ carbon fibre model gliders becomes boring. It's extremely funny and thousands of such things are flying all over the world. But they are only fun when you get the centre of gravity absolutely correct. Ordinary model gliders fly safely with a wide range of centre of gravity, although with a performance penalty. But the Zagi has to be right, so has a BWB transport.

Happy landing, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

OH-LGA

Tue Feb 13, 2001 8:01 am

My main concerns would definately be the evaculation of the aircraft in an emergency and the lack of windows. Besides the thing looks ugly anyways Big grin

I like Airbus' ideas of the Joined Wing Concept, which would decrease the wing span, and the Three Surface Aircraft... although it's slightly unnerving that the aircraft is naturally unstable and would need to be controlled by computers, I mean yes Airbus has already a large amount of computerization on their planes A320 and up, but I don't know... the wing right behind doors 1R and 1L looks odd but I wouldn't be adverse to it.

But if I was in one of Boeing's focus groups about the BWB, I'd shoot it down before you could say "787" Big grin

Moi,
Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

EssentialPowr

Tue Feb 13, 2001 8:38 am

My only point is that, frankly, a/c design can be as unique as just about any art form. Engine #? Whatever the mission dictates...

There is a current thread dealing with solar powered a/c, for example. The participants aren't aware of the fact that the solar powered a/c have flown; in fact the current altitude record for such a/c is 70,000 ft. What is the design parameter for such an a/c? Obviously loiter time and range - which dictate low wing and power loading, high aspect ratios, etc.

As a said in my September response, just b/c an aircraft doen't have a tail does not mean it is any more cg restricted than a conventional transport. The center of gravity on commercial transports is, by design, a certain percentage of MAC, or in other words, a known quantity. It is no different for a bomber.

In fact, a bomber probably requires a larger cg range than a commercial transport for a few of reasons: it flys through a greater range of weights b/t takeoff and landing during the course of a mission as it drops its payload as well as burns fuel weight (a commercial a/c will idealy land with payload, Ya), it must be able to compensate for an instantaneous change in cg as bombs are dropped, it must be more maneuverable than a commercial transport, it must be survivable enough to fly w/ damage (like twin tails on a fighter) and it must be able to air to air refuel at just about any weight or wx conditions. All of these reasons make the bomber require an even broader cg range, and greater authority in all axes of flight than a transport a/c. Look at a B52-it's got a bigger horizontal tail than a 747, and has a MGTOW probably 100k-150k less than a 747-200.

About the YB 49, I encourage you to read Ben Rich's book. He states fairly clearly the Pentagon's distaste for new fangled technology...

Till next time-
BTW - I'd like to hear more about the carbon fiber sailplanes...

EssentialPowr

Tue Feb 13, 2001 11:07 am

Oops, I forgot my summary...

If a bomber a/c can make effective use of a blended wing design, then it is certainly possible to make a viable BWB commercial a/c because the design parameters are less demanding.

Ciao!

EssentialPowr

Tue Feb 13, 2001 11:11 am

One other thing-

It was Jack, not John, ANd I checked out the Zagi page - that's pretty cool!

See ya

EssentialPowr

Tue Feb 13, 2001 11:43 am

Post, PS

With regard to lack of stability, a conventionally tailed (T or cruciform) a/c can exhibit some nasty characteristics. The 727 has 2 yaw dampers acting through the lower rudder. Flying the 72- w/o at least one yaw damper is illegal, because w/o a yaw damper it can become...unstable, to put it mildly. In addition, if we consider the circa 1950s design of the 727 as a benchmark, we note it has synthetic elevator feel control units. It was one of the first a/c in which human force and mechanical advantage alone were not enough to move the tail surfaces, thus hydraulic power. The artificial feel units enable the 3000 psi system to "feel" normal to a pilot. Therefore, there were probably some "common" design parameters such as yaw dampening and human factors issues regarding control forces that came to odds with the YB49. Long story short, the YB49 could have been a viable commercial design as early as the 60s...

gearup

Tue Feb 13, 2001 12:06 pm

Hey picture this,

You are sitting in the Boeing Blended wing at cruise speed and altitude. You are in a seat at the very outside of the aircraft nearest the wing tip. You may or may not be near a window but you are comfortably watching a movie or about to sip your hot coffee. Without warning the aircraft rolls violently to starboard perhaps to avoid another aircraft. I hope you like roller-coasters because if you are sitting 30 to 40 feet from the aircraft's center-line you are going for a ride! Even a window seat on the widest widebody (747) is only 10 feet from the a/c center-line. If you look at the wingtip as the aircraft rolls, you can see how much more it moves (and faster too) than you do as the aircraft rolls. Can you imagine what it would be like even half way along the wing! Well thats only one issue for the the designers of this new aircraft but it may be a tricky one.
I have no memory of this place.

Tue Feb 13, 2001 3:05 pm

OK... this is just another classic example of the media blowing something up. The initial report was from KING-TV here in Seattle a couple weeks ago (I think). They were talking to the head of Boeing's Phantom Works (they develop..uh..'unique' concepts), who was VERY clear that the BWB would probably NEVER make it into production, much less even be LOOKED at. The people down at Boeing Field are developing literally hundreds of 'unique' aircraft models, including this one. It just happens that this is the one that the media decided to pick up on.

I think any manufacturer that looks into building a mammoth like this BWB is as crazy and stupid as building something like the A380.

I imagine getting inside of Phantom Works would be a pretty cool experience, but Boeing is pretty secretive and secure at their BFI offices (one of their office buildings has guards with AK-47s and sub-machine guns even...)

D L X

Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:26 pm

Gearup, that is a "Gold Star Idea" as my former professor would say. Thinking about it, you would get 4 times the "rotational force" as you do in a current 777 or 747 sized cabin when sitting furthest from the center. It's noticeable on these planes during turbulence and even during landing. As much as I like windows, I don't think I'd want to sit on the outside of this plane for sure. I'm imagining that that recent incident with the 2 747s dodging each other over Japan would have probably killed people in their seats if it had been a BBW. (Isn't that the correct acronym? Boeing Blended Wing)

What they (Boeing) should do before going any further, is put a small accelerometer about 40' out on the wing of a B2 and take measurements. Fly the plane normally on a clear day, and a day with weather. This would tell Boeing just how much normal manouvering even would play with the passengers sitting far from the center.

This in a my opinion could be a showstopper. Passengers, unlike bombs or cargo, do in fact care quite a bit about the ride itself.

NUAir

Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:44 pm

Strange board!

I think if they had a board like this before the release of the first 747 it would be very similar.

Clausterphobia? I guess nobody has ever ridden in the center of an economy class row after the flight attendents asked for the windows to be closed. With personal TV's people won't care. besides all surveys show a majority of people fly based on the cost of the ticket and could care less about what they fly on. But I know everyone on this forum thinks differently (just broadening the perspective).

As far as emergency exits and seats farther from the center. I would think that anyone who has made it as far as being an engineer at boeing or Airbus might just have taken these things into account (unless of course they missed out on physics 101).

As with any concept it's going to be heavily criticized for better or for worse. Whether or not it is built will be up to Airbus and Boeing but I have the feeling that it must be a possiblity if they are producing such detailed drawings. If you can get those suckers to preform like a B2 I would say that we are much closer to flying one in the near future (15-30 years?)

Just my thoughts,
NUair
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

Rickster

Tue Feb 13, 2001 11:09 pm

Hey why claustrophobic, flying in this plane would be nothing else then spending 10 hrs or more in a movie theater with dolby sr, except turbulances would be real. They only need to place a huge screen right infront the pax. Some people might love it.  Wink/being sarcastic

cfalk

Wed Feb 14, 2001 12:33 am

I seem to remember seeing some old (I think) Northrop pictures depicting the cabin of a flying wing passenger plane. The leading edge wing would have glass panels, giving the passengers an awesome view, much better than the current side view.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

767ALLTHEWAY

Wed Feb 14, 2001 1:51 am

Compared to the twin engine airliners of today... I think Boeings design is to radical, How would say and airline like AA put its paint job on this as there stripes would have to extend on to the wing. How would airlines apply thier paint jobs to an aircraft of this shape?
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"

NUAir

Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:24 pm

I don't think any airlines will have any problems finding something to put on a huge flying bilboard or the space to put it on. I don't think that airline marketing departments will have any problems putting a huge logo on the top and bottom of these aircraft. The only complaint would probably be the expense of painting such a huge space.

Besides, I think we should wait to see if Boeing even builds the things before we start talking about paint scemes and in flight services.

Boeing, Just do it!
NUair
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

b727

Thu Feb 15, 2001 2:22 am

Gearup hit the nail right on the head, with people sitting so far from the centerline they will be up and down through the entire flight (like a small boat tossed on the open sea) I think this is going to need more work. Also what about an emergency evac?

Some issues to consider

B727
Glenn

aa737

Thu Feb 15, 2001 2:45 am

From the look of those pictures in one of the first replies, it doesn't look like people will be sitting way at the end of the wings. Yes it will be a wide plane, but I think people are making the problem seem bigger then it is.

RIX

Thu Feb 15, 2001 4:48 am

Well, it is a problem, and recently there was a link in some other thread here with explanation what can be done with it.

I always try to get a window seat but if they have an observation area in front and several huge screens displaying front view and personal screens with view angle selection, then, who knows... And why do they plan to make the interior a set of narrowbodies? The whole thing will make much more sense if there are less bigger sections! Any possible structural questions could be solved by less radical way than to put a whole length wall...

Of course, if it ever flies...