Dutchie
Topic Author

Want To Work For The Airlines!

Mon Feb 12, 2001 5:19 am

Here's the deal. I would love to work for the airlines. I've checked around online with the airline sites and found United to have the most available jobs. However, just the name send chills down my spine with all the trouble they had this past year.. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can go about finding the right job, without being afraid of being laid off in the first week of employment? Is there a specific personal look that the airlines are looking for? How much is an average pay for say a desk agent or gate agent? I have NO previous experience at an airport, but have done extensive customer service and worked on multi-line phones for about 5 years now. Any suggestions are highly appreciated, and please send any answers to my email address!!! Thank you so much!!! anneka1@webtv.net Dutchie

lmml 14/32

RE: Want To Work For The Airlines!

Mon Feb 12, 2001 5:27 am

It's fun to work for an airline. There's plenty of opportunity. But a lot of competition for the most desireable positions too. Try getting some qualifications. Check out for available courses.
Good luck !

lmml 14/32

Mon Feb 12, 2001 5:30 am

The last phrase should read:

check out http://www.iata.org for available courses.

ILUV767

Mon Feb 12, 2001 6:39 am

My dad works for United and they are a great airline to work for. Depending on the job, their pay can be the highest. In most cases it is. The benifits are great. At the date of hire, you get a $40.000 life insurance policy, which grows, free unlimited travel for you, your spouce/domestic partener, parents and any children under the age of 23 that you have. There is also a lot of health care benefits.

Do you speak a foreign language? Have you considered a career as a UA flight attendant? Most new hires are assigned to ORD or SFO, but after 6 months, you can move to a domicile of your choice.

Go ahead and try for a job at the friendly skies. For more information about jobs visit or call 1-800-UAL-JOBS