AirT85
Topic Author

Delta Pilots To Strike

Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:38 am

Hello
I just heard on the news Delta pilots have overwhelmingly agreed to strike, walking off the job on April 1st. Any thought or comments?
Im not sure if i agree with what the pilots want but i also dont know the exact reasons they are striking.
-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

watewate

RE: Delta Pilots To Strike

Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:40 am

They still have a few days to work out their differences.

flashmeister

Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:53 am

The earliest a strike could occur is 1 April - they still have the option to force arbitration...

and don't think for a second that Bush would hesitate to end any strike ASAP...

watewate

Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:59 am

The reasons the pilots are still holding out:
1.The airline has yet to guarantee full retroactive pay dating back to last May 1.

2. The airline still has a two-tier pay rate for pilots of its commuter airline, Delta Express. Pilots don't like that.

From CNN article

Last week, Delta offered to make its pilots the highest paid in the commercial airline industry -- a contract proposal a union spokesman called a "step in the right direction."

Under its proposal, Delta offered its pilots a four-year contract that includes raises ranging from 7 percent to 17.5 percent. Delta Express pilots would see an increase of nearly 21 percent, but still would make less than their counterparts at Delta.

AirT85
Topic Author

Tue Feb 13, 2001 8:44 am

OK, thanks for the information. Do you think if they were to strike this could have any affect ont he mega-mergers? Seeing how DL cant settle its own labor disputes how could it handle brining in a whole nother work-force? That kinda thing.
Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

goingboeing

Tue Feb 13, 2001 9:08 am

Let them. I sincerely hope that Airtran captures and retains 30% of the ATL traffic and DL has to downsize their pilot ranks. They certainly won't be able to match the low fares and still afford to pay those industy leading wages.

AirT85 - it will affect the mega mergers one way or another. If the mergers go thru, expect the airline employees to find themselves working for the government after the first "strike vote". Labor will maintain the attitude that "the customer will return", and they will think they will have considerable leverage. They won't. On the other hand, the government might realize that the mega merged airlines would have a grip on the markets and disallow any mergers to insure that when these unions decide to screw the customer to get their way, the customer will have options available.

Note to all: If your travel plans are screwed by an airline strike, for Chrissake, DON'T give them your business once everybody's happy again. As long as you do, they will continue to sh*t on you every chance they get.

flashmeister

Tue Feb 13, 2001 9:16 am

Just to clarify something Watewate said:

Delta Express is the Delta low-frills product, not their commuter line. That's Delta Connection.

Pendrilsaint

Tue Feb 13, 2001 9:53 am

To the people above who are so overwhelmingly against delta=). I have to say I feel the safest on that airline as any out there. Their service good and god knows their gate agents are friendlier than AA and Uniteds=). If I could see any airline prosper it would be Delta.

DeltaSFO

Tue Feb 13, 2001 10:00 am

Before all of you Delta-bash your way to the point of no return, please understand that the original post in this thread is extremely misleading.

The Delta ALPA strike ballot was authorized several weeks ago, and the vote was taken several weeks ago. This was just the set date to announce the results.

THIS DOES NOT GUARANTEE A STRIKE.

The only thing Delta pilots said with this vote is that they authorize Delta ALPA MEC to call a strike in the event negotiations fail.

By all accounts, great progress has been made on negotiations, and the probability of settlement appears to be getting greater as time goes on.

So relax, boys....

DeltaSFO
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

Tue Feb 13, 2001 10:25 am

AAAAH! I hope there isnt a strike. I have to travel on DL on Apr. 4! When flights are cancelled due to these labor problems, what do the misplaced pax get in the area of compensations? Does anyone know??

QantasA330

Tue Feb 13, 2001 10:41 am

HAHAHAHA... Bush will shoot them out of the sky!... There is NO WAY that Bush is gonna sit there watching these hot-shots ask for more money when the nation is slowing to a 'nothing' economy. Delta Pilots will not win a battle by walking off the job. It MUST happen before Apr. 1. My thoughts anywayz. If the pilots get this done before Apr. 1 - they've got a chance - but after that its going downhill.

:::QantasA330:::

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos