Gokhan
Topic Author

737 Rudder Problem

Wed Apr 21, 1999 5:14 pm

does boeing 737 has ruder problem ? Is it really possible that rudder may be fully deflected without any pilot input because of a valve problem and in this case can the pilot keep the airplane in control with the ailerons ? Can the air load separate the rudder in this case ?

Lindy

RE: 737 Rudder Problem

Wed Apr 21, 1999 10:16 pm

Hi Gokhan

I dont know if B737 has rudder problem. but United never had this problem.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

dash8

Thu Apr 22, 1999 12:42 am

Hi Gokhan,

The problem of the 737 was a rudder reversal problem. i.e. It would deflect to the other side that was commanded by either the pilot or the autopilot. Now I dont know which effect this had on the yaw damper, but in any case as in most or all jetliners it has a hydraulic pressure limiter that restrict pressure to the rudder when travelling higher than a certain speed. This effectively eliminates the possibility of losing a rudder in flight.

Dash8

Thu Apr 22, 1999 4:23 am

I don't know Gokhan....why don't you tell us. You fly the 737 and I would be very interested what your opinion about all this rudder business is. Do you think there really is a problem ? Have you ever experienced something like it ? Do you think the crash of THY might have something to do with it too ? Please let us know!

Lindy, you said United never had this problem....mmmm, not so sure. What about the Colorado Springs crash ?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos