Austin Express

Sat Feb 17, 2001 10:35 pm

Does anyone know about this airline? What do they fly? Did they start on Jan 15th?
Iain

Minuteman

RE: Austin Express

Sun Feb 18, 2001 12:33 am

Thanks for reminding me about this airline.

About.com has this to say about Austin Express:
"Operating out of ABIA, this regional carrier caters to business travelers who want to conduct out of town business and return home the same day. Site describes how to locate their terminal at ABIA. Daily flights to and from Tyler."

I haven't seen any of their aircraft in person, but I've seen one pitcure that is a Fairchild Metro in their colors...it would be a longshot, but I guess they might be a (partial) ressurection of Lone Star, which also flew Metros?

Sun Feb 18, 2001 2:51 am

Actually, Austin Express started around 3 years ago. They had 2 or 3 Metro IIIs in their fleet, and at one point I believe they stopped all scheduled services - but have come back again.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Cary Liao

AUS_Spotter

Mon Feb 26, 2001 11:21 am

Austin Express ceased regularly scheduled operation sometime at the end of last year. They had been flying regularly scheduled flights to Tyler, TX and Corpus Christi, TX. They have resumed operation but as a charter service.

Their web site offers basically no information http://www.austinexpress.com

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Jason Knutson

Jason Knutson - Austin, TX

LoneStarMike

Mon Feb 26, 2001 12:20 pm

Jason is right. There was a (very) small mention in the news stories on the Austin airport's website regarding them that stated:

Commuter Airline Austin Express will end service on December 31

Austin-based commuter airline Austin Express will end service to Tyler and Corpus Christi, Texas effective Sunday, December 31. The airline said it plans to operate charter operations out of Austin in the near future. Austin Express initially served Tyler and later added Corpus Christi to their schedule this past summer.

I believe they were actually a Monday-Friday operation, so if you really want to get technical their last flights would have been Friday, December 29th.

LoneStarMike

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos