EWR Spotter
Topic Author

EWR 29 Approach- - Bayonne Or Jersey City

Sun Feb 18, 2001 1:11 pm

I've noticed that whenever the aircraft land on 29 at EWR, they usually follow the traditional 22 landing route and then break East and come in over Jersey City, and then back out West to the airport. But, there are some times when the plane comes up from the South and goes over Bayonne and just about reaches Jersey City and then breaks West to land on 29. What decides if the planes approach 29 from the North or South?

fflood

RE: EWR 29 Approach- - Bayonne Or Jersey City

Sun Feb 18, 2001 7:20 pm

I believe it's the runway in use, if I understand your question correctly. They'll be routed from the South if landing on 4R, from the North if landing on 22L. ARTC decides this approach long before the bird gets anywhere near the airport. The pilot is usually given the option to land on 29, remembering that 29 is the shorter runway - depending on the type of aircraft, it's weight, etc. He/she can choose the 29 approach or the runway that's in current use. Hope this helps!
LINE UP AND WAIT