Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AUS_Spotter
Topic Author

Air Force 1 In Waco / Runway Length Question

Sun Feb 18, 2001 10:44 pm

It would seem that President Bush is at his ranch in Crawford for the weekend. According to the Austin paper, Air Force 1 and a military transport plane are in Waco. My question is this: Is 6597' a long enough runway for a 747? This is the runway length at Waco Municipal (ACT). There is another airport in Waco with a runway length of 8600' but I'm not sure what it is. CNW - TSTC Waco Airport.

I was REALLY hoping that with Bush being President he'd be flying Air Force 1 into Austin and go to his ranch from here. I would really like to get pictures of this plane! I didn't realize that Waco had a runway long enough to handle a 747.  Sad

Jason Knutson - Austin, TX

RE: Air Force 1 In Waco / Runway Length Question

Mon Feb 19, 2001 12:15 am

The 747 will be very light, so it will be able to stop and take off using very little runway length. But he might have dropped the 747 off and taken a G5 or another one of his aircrafts.
Iain

Falcon Flyer

Mon Feb 19, 2001 12:45 am

It's possible that it would go into CNW due to the combination of the longer runway and the military presence already there. It could still fly in and out of ACT though.

wannabe

Mon Feb 19, 2001 3:54 am

Remember, Air Force One is the identifier of the Air Force airrcraft the President is in. It can be the 747, the G5, or one of the 757's. If he were to take a ride in an F-16 (hey, he is the Commander in Chief!), it would be Air Force One while he was in it.

mls515

Mon Feb 19, 2001 4:37 am

I'm sure by now EVERYONE knows that whatever plane the president is on is called Air Force One whether or not it's one of the 2 747s they have for the purpose. There isn't a thread about AF1 on this forum where someone hasn't jumped in and pointed out this fact.....

Anyway, I found an article (http://www.accesswaco.com/auto/feed/news/local/2001/02/15/982286917.01368.2518.0091.html) that said he was flying into the airport at Texas State Technical College. He flew into CNW - TSTC WACO AIRPORT. Airnav says it has an 8600 foot runway and also a 6291 foot runway parallel to it. I believe he flew in with one of the 747s because he was just down in Mexico talking to President Fox with it. The AP photos show the 747.

So drive up to Waco and snap some pics of it!

The first 747 I ever saw was AF1 when the other President Bush flew into Birmingham, Alabama a few years ago. It was a treat.

mls515

Mon Feb 19, 2001 6:45 am

Just thinking, but Ft. Hood has nice, long runway and it is secure. I would think that W's people would choose that. Since the article above is only speculating that He will arrive at the technical college airport.

AUS_Spotter
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2001 8:01 am

Thanks for the info.

If I hadn't had other plans today I would have driven up to Waco to see if I could get some pics of it. Oh well, he's bound to come to Austin some time in the next 4 years!

Jason Knutson - Austin, TX

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos