LuckySevens
Topic Author

United Reneges On Reneged Fares

Tue Feb 20, 2001 11:53 pm

Not sure if this has been posted, but it's only fair (fare? Big grin) since they were thoroughly bashed here.

Seems 143 people will be flying United for $25

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-4868458.html?tag=st.cn.1.lthd

Horray Big Air!

DCA-ROCguy

RE: United Reneges On Reneged Fares

Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:04 am

United probably decided that the PR headache wasn't worthwhile. According to Aviation Week the pax who bought the tickets were making a big stink, and there was a lot of media coverage.

Remember that United is trying to push superconsolidation through DOJ and is thus getting lots of flak over consumer issues. So it's not in their interest right now to get bad PR over something like this. Even though UA is probably correct that the law is on their side. I myself would not have booked one of the fares had I discovered it, figuring if it's too good to be true it's probably a mistake and thus a risk.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

johnboy

RE: United Reneges On Reneged Fares

Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:11 am

I agree. What's it to United to give those 143 people seats for that unbelievable price in the grand scheme of things? Saner heads obviously prevailed in the board room. BTW, I heard on the news this morning that UA is so confident that the UA-US merger will occur, that they're going ahead and start a marketing scheme to trumpet the new mega-conglomerate. Cheeky indeed!