Republic
Topic Author

Metrojet,DL Express, UA Shuttle

Wed Feb 21, 2001 10:03 am

Hi,

A couple of questions for those who know:

1) Of these three, Metrojet, Delta Express, and United Shuttle, which has held Southwest in check the best? And which of these has not had the impact expected?

2)Why no AA or NW lower fare version?

3)Why did Continental Lite fail so miserably?

4)With British Airways selling GO, and Air Canada deciding not to offer a lower fare version, is this concept of the majors running a lower fare version something that we will see ending in the near future?

I'm not familiar with the lower fare versions of the majors, so I hope some of you can share some of your knowledge here.

Rgds,
Joe

RE: Metrojet,DL Express, UA Shuttle

Wed Feb 21, 2001 10:13 am

In ALB we had just Delta Express & MetroJet two years ago until Southwest came along. Then in Nov 2000, Delta Express pulled out sending it's operations down to JFK. Now it is just Southwest and MetroJet competing with each other for MCO with Southwest having the advantage with three daily non-stop flights versus one with MetroJet and Southwest is using new 737NGs versus 737-200s with MetroJet.

deltaflyertoo

Wed Feb 21, 2001 11:43 am

Not a whole lot sure to the answers to all the questions, but here is what I know.

The reason AA and NW never started a low fare unit was because they never competed head to head with a low fare carrier on a lot of its routes. USAir, Delta and United all operated mainline operations at high fares and VERY high cost structures where SW moved in. They had to spin low fare carriers off in order to compete. As for CA, SW and Shuttle now coexist happily. In the begining it was an all out war between SW and Shuttle, but then Shuttle realigned flights to feed SFO and LAX and not try to be everything, everywhere in CA like Southwest is....so I guess, yes, that anwswers that one, SW won CA, UAL at one time was everything in CA and I guess it isn't now.

COLite failed because there was no organized strategy behind it. I.E. Continental never went out and dedicated a fleet of say, 737-200s at just EWR and made them "Lite". Instead CO launched Lite on a variety of different aircraft and deployed them on random routes all over the country, SFO/OAK to DEN, DEN-ORD, EWR-DCA, so there was no clear line between mainline CO and the Lite operation like there is between Shuttle and UAL. In the end, Lite was not efficient, was not catching on w/ the public and was cannibalizing CO's own mainline.

Hope this info helps.

watewate

Wed Feb 21, 2001 11:50 am

CO's idea of a low-fare competition to WN was to take out the business seats and install more coach seats in its place. It sounds alright if they filled up the plane, but they didn't. Also, people associated dirty Lite flights with mainline CO flights and it was having a detrimental effect on its image. It's not that CO had a squeeky clean image when CO Lite was around- it was probably the worst carrier in US. But the image of CO Lite was worse than that of mainline CO- hard to believe, but is true nevertheless.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos