roberson

New MCI-MSY Service:

Wed Feb 21, 2001 1:55 pm

I find it interesting that Midwest Express is going to be offering nonstop flights MCI-MSY in the future. It looks like their current schedule indicates that one of the flights will leave at exactly the same time as one of Vanguard's current flights. From what I've heard, Vanguard has been getting a very high load factor on this route as of late, so it looks like the perfect time for Midwest Express to jump in. But if the route is so profitable, why haven't any other airlines flown it nonstop recently? Also, is their enough traffic to support two competing airlines on the route? It looks like this market could see some serious competition in the future. Any comments on this subject?

Tom in NO

RE: New MCI-MSY Service:

Wed Feb 21, 2001 2:24 pm

Midwest Express is starting 3 flights to MCI, Vanguard is already operating 3 dailies. The thing to remember is that MCI is either a primary or secondary hub for both airlines, so the traffic doesn't need to solely be MSY-MCI traffic.

Also, Midwest and Vanguard cater to different groups of passengers, Midwest to the businessman, Vanguard as a low-fare carrier.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Herb Kelleher over at Southwest is watching every move in this market. I suspect SW may be in the market at some point in the not-too-distant future. If they show up, Vanguard is history, which, from what I hear, may happen anyway before too long.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

vngd4me

RE: New MCI-MSY Service:

Wed Feb 21, 2001 2:36 pm

I agree with Tom to a point.

I did notice the one flight EXACTLY the same time which I found odd.

NJ still has a few kinks to work out to operate profitably in the long run, but I wouldn't say they're history.

I was always surprized that WN (or anyone else) never operated the MCI-MSY nonstop as the market seems pretty good. Unfortunately, I think YX will pull a few pax from NJ just because NJ currently has the most convenient & only nonstops. I don't think the loads will decrease much though.

NJ's product will also improve as a transition to SABRE booking system is in the very near future and will arrive about the same time as the first of the MD80s.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos