777 Seating

Sun Apr 25, 1999 10:05 am

I know that UAL has configured their 777s with 2-5-2 seating just like DC10s and L1011s. I cannot find seat maps of CO's 777s but I saw a picture and it looked like they have them configured with 3-3-3 seating. Is this true?

-MEB-

RE: 777 Seating

Sun Apr 25, 1999 10:53 am

Yes. CO has their 777's in a 3-3-3 config. The seat map is on CO's site...however, you must have Adobe Acrobat to open the seating map.

http://www.continental.com/corporate/fleet

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

Lufthansa

Sun Apr 25, 1999 11:16 am

Why 3-3-3 seating on 777s? I have tried to figure out the answer to this and i can't find one that makes sence. With the 2-5-2 seating every seat except one (the very centre one) is never more than one seat away from the isle. With 3-3-3 seating, you have two seats that are more than one seat away from the isle. So, really, as far as ease when getting to the isle is concerned the 'older' 2-5-2 configuration makes more sence even if it doesn't look that way because you have a bunch of 5 seats together.

Does anybody know the motivation between the shift to 3-3-3 seating. Is it a visal thing - percieve that the 3-3-3 seating is easier because of the smaller groups? Does anybody know the answer?

Sun Apr 25, 1999 12:26 pm

I don't know why they went 3-3-3, but I prefer 2-5-2 because if the flight is relatively empty it's easier to sleep on 5 seats than to sleep on 3. Also, I don't mean to be condecending, but for future reference there is an "a" in the word aisle.

AF777

Mon Apr 26, 1999 12:36 am

The theory behind the 3-3-3 seating is (I think) that hte people who are by a window have it good and they can stand to clinb over 2 people like on the 747. That way the middle person isn't in too bad of a situation. If one is in the middle seat of 5, that really sucks. Personally however, I prefer the 2-5-2. Many airlines use the 3-3-3: Continental, Air France, Singapore, British Airways, and others.

-AF777

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos