China Eastern/China Yunnan Takeover Fleet?

Thu Feb 22, 2001 8:45 am

With the strong possibility of China Eastern taking over small Kunming based China Yunnan, what will become of Yunnan's fleet? There is possibility that the current CRJ order for 8 might be cancelled if it goes through. Will the 737s and 767s be kept? The 737 certainly will have the biggest chance in Eastern's fleet, but the 76s, with only 3, seem an oddball.
What do you think?
-Tom

HNL747

RE: China Eastern/China Yunnan Takeover Fleet?

Thu Feb 22, 2001 9:50 am

Civil aircraft in China are ultimate property of CAAC and the central government. In the case that consolidation occurs, it is possible that Yunnan's 737s could go to China Eastern; however, CEA's fleet is made up heavily of Airbus a/c, a few MDs and a few 737s.

Odds are that a reallocation of Yunnan's 737s and 767s will occur, with 767s going to Air China and 737s going to China Southern. China Southern integrated several 737s into their existing fleet from their merger with Zhongyuan Airlines. The status of the CRJ order is up to the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation's (MOFTEC) aircraft importation arm. Since RJs are gaining in popularity, it is likely they will end up with one of the big three or a provincial/muni.

HNL

Thu Feb 22, 2001 11:21 am

Weren't they all going to be consolidated into China Eastern, China Southern, and Air China? Just wondering.

Thu Feb 22, 2001 11:30 am

Let me clarify my Q... "they" as in all the other Chinese carriers.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

HNL747

Thu Feb 22, 2001 11:57 am

According to the CAAC, all 11 CAAC airlines will be consolidated into the big three. Provincial and municipal airlines will be allowed to stay independent (i.e. Hainan (prov.) and Shanghai (muni)) unless they are aquired by one of the big three carriers. An example is China Southern's merger with Zhongyuan.

HNL

Thu Feb 22, 2001 2:16 pm

Thanks for explaining HNL  Smile/happy/getting dizzy