Topic Author

More Flights To Hawaii?

Fri Feb 23, 2001 11:53 am

Idle question: Do you think there is room for more flights from the mainland to Hawaii? And if so, from where?

Once, I might have said no to this question, but given the recent comeback of the Hawaiian economy, and the successful addition of service by both ATA and Aloha (airlines who aren't flying the route for frequent flyer mile benefits), I think there still might be room. I'm really very surprised that my hometown doesn't have some sort of service, either a nonstop or a direct flight, to the islands...ATA would be wise to check us out for an IAD-HNL charter.

ATL could use a nonstop service to HNL, and the same with ORD, given that the local majors just suspended flights there until their pilot contracts are resolved. Meantime, a new entrant such as ATA could swoop in and take up some of the traffic coming out of that market.

The reason I bring this question up is that I caught a glimpse of aircraft from The Hawaii Express in the database again today and started wondering if a new Hawaiian airline, charter or scheduled, might work.

Your thoughts?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

RE: More Flights To Hawaii?

Fri Feb 23, 2001 12:06 pm

Both ATA and American fly nonstop ORD-HNL. I think that a Denver - Hawaii flight on United would be a good idea, with B767-322ER equipment. This would provide one stop service to HNL (now that the UA ORD-HNL flight does not exist) from eastern and midwest cities that are not served by UA from SFO and LAX.

Fri Feb 23, 2001 12:12 pm

The only startup airline since deregulation that has made it is America West. Hawaii Express failed and so has every other startup ANYWHERE. I think that Aloha and Hawaiian especially will be the carriers to watch if you want to see airline service expanded to points beyond the West Coast.

Fri Feb 23, 2001 4:15 pm

An upstart (not yet certified) calling itself TransPacific Airlines has proposed service to HNL from Portland, Las Vegas, and San Diego using DC-10-30s. No idea when/if they'll get going. Their web site is http://www.transpacificairlines.com.

Fri Feb 23, 2001 4:28 pm

I can't believe this!!!!!! I wrote about my idea for a startup to Hawaii and the Far East earlier this year. The name I called it was Transpacific from the cities they are going to service and a couple other western cities. This is amazing for me!!!!!!!