Pick One: British Airways Or Virgin Atlantic

Sat Feb 24, 2001 12:44 am

I love Virgin Atlantic! Their silver dream livery is magnificent and beautiful! I prefer their in-flight services over that of British Airways. Which of the two British carriers do you prefer?

SInGAPORE_AIR

RE: Pick One: British Airways Or Virgin Atlantic

Sat Feb 24, 2001 12:55 am

I would choose Virgin Atlantic, a lovely product with great in flight service and entertainemnt but best of all, Singapore Airlines owns 49% of them. So of course you know you're on a good airline. Also Virgin are nice.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

ryanb741

Sat Feb 24, 2001 1:51 am

BA any day. I find Virgin to be quite gimmicky, and their fleet isn't as good as BA's (Virgin has quite a few 742's). However, BA F/A's have a tendency to be a little bit obnoxious, and are often a little too self-important(remember, whatever they might think, F/As do not require a Harvard MBA to get a job!). So I agree that Virgin's service is sometimes better. But BA's A/C and route network is far superior.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

VirginA340

Sat Feb 24, 2001 2:13 am

Virgin; They are the few airlines with the good stuff from the 70s like the bar with stool and the perso that does the massage and manicures are excellent. The video games are a great distraction from being cramped in the seat and makes the flight shorter.
"FUIMUS"

gardermoen

Sat Feb 24, 2001 2:16 am

Definetly Virgin, much friendlier service. I am not too fond at all of BAs service.
Of course, BA does have a more vast network, but where they both compete on the same route, I would chose Virgin hands down(and if it was BA only on a particular direct route, i would rather go via a 3rd country and change using another airline)

Sat Feb 24, 2001 2:39 am

Virgin's lack of a solid route network means that I (and most other people living between the Hudson and Colorado Rivers) have not had an opportunity to fly them. Personally, I like BA--great fleet, convenient route schedule, and the service is better than anything else I have experienced going across the pond.

SR 103

Sat Feb 24, 2001 5:21 am

I chose VS for Business class but for Economy (both regular and Premium) I chose BA! BA's are far better than Virgins cattle class! BA crews always seem to be helpful-atleast towards me, while Virgin's were rude and seemed like they were doing us a favor by serving us! Sorry Virgin lovers! These are just my experiences!

SR 103  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

gkirk

Sat Feb 24, 2001 5:39 am

I couldnt choose, they are both great. But the best UK airline is British Midland!!!!
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

englandair

Sat Feb 24, 2001 6:24 am

GKirk- having flown with BD earlier today, I totally agree!

Sat Feb 24, 2001 6:55 am

British Airways

Sat Feb 24, 2001 6:57 am

isnt this a rather childish topic?

my own view is that u cant beat BA.

Ba have attitude, they have one world, virgin simply have a couple of code shares.

BA brought in the new club cabins to america before virgin did.

Yes Virgin brought set-back tv's to economy first but BA have improved on that, also BA have a proper first class, not upper class which is club plus add-ons.

BA have four cabin classes, Virgin don't.

BA fly more places as well.

It must be stated that both have very strong brand names and both use the british livery, although virgin only did once BA didnt, so it seems that virgin do do publicity stunts, BA do as well but in the same way,branson also manipulates the media very very well

so there isnt much contest, although im sure somebody will disagree as everyone has a view and is entitled to express it.

go air canada!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Feb 24, 2001 7:07 am

I disagree

A couple of codeshares? OK BA might have the bigger route network but I hardly think an LHR - Harare route really figures in many people's minds

VS do have a proper First Class, Upper Class. You might think that it's just Club with add ons but I'm sorry it isn't. It has a bed (like BA), and many other things. Also a BAR. do BA have a BAr? (joke!) (not really, but you no what part of it was the joke). No.

However, as you said you are entitled to yer opinion and I'll respect that!

Hoorah

Oh and news for YOU: Air Canada flight AC9007 landed successfully at LHR from SIN. Operated by Air New Zealand as NZ4318, operated by SInGAPORE AIRLInES! SQ318. Just to let you know of the new codeshare

EGGD

Sat Feb 24, 2001 7:12 am

i flew BA and they were crap (servicewise) the f/a's were grumpy and unhelpful and flying for 12 1/2 hours those seats in World Traveller (yes i am a cheap ass) are bloody uncomfortable so i guess Virgin Wins.

KLM747

Sat Feb 24, 2001 7:16 am

I would choose Virgin, because their service is great. But BA is also good too, still I think Virgin gets my vote here.

KLM747 Big grin

BA747-436

Sat Feb 24, 2001 7:27 am

BA all the way!
I've flown on both airlines over 25 times each and for

seats BA no question!

Livery Virgin's ait bad at all but some of BA's world tails are well nice!

Cabin Crew service Used to think VS but recently on Long Haul BA has vastly improved

Entertainment VS used to get my vote but now BA's got the ptv's there much newer and better than VS's and they all seem to work unlike most of VS's!
Dan Valentine - Bad Ass MOFO Photographer

RE: Definitely Virgin Atlantic!

Sat Feb 24, 2001 7:44 am

What a pitty for BA that the public didn't pick up all those colourfull tail liveries. A jolly concept. The design agency had a nice idea but I'm wondering if they did enough research to the users/consumers of this airline. A lot of wasted money. Pitty! What left, a weak BA. The former colourscheme (with the union jack and the BA crest in the tail) was, although conservative, better (despite the dirty look due to the light grey roof), more home carrier worthy. I think the UK landed into a design crises. However Virgin Atlantic; trendsetting and very attractive. You have to get used to it, that's right. The alu-paint gives the feeling of ancient aviation, the 'good old days". For me Virgin is Virgin. It is going its own way. I like it. Superb!! Virgin Atlantic, chapeau!

chepos

Sat Feb 24, 2001 8:03 am

Ive never flown on any of them . So i would choose any of them I hope Ill fly on any of these two airlines soon.
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

na

Sat Feb 24, 2001 9:17 am

Virgin is better. Why? More style, freshness, a better fleet. 744s, A340s, A380s, great. Virgin is a prospering, optimistic airline, BA seems to have had its best times in the 90s. The current management isn´t very strong, some decisions (i.e. fleet downsizing) show even signs of them being afraid of the future. Also my experiences with them are not too brilliant, just on the same level with Air France, Iberia, United.
But I have to admit I´ve never flown with Virgin, but hope so as soon as possible. Btw their website is the best of any airline around, miles ahead of BAs boring one.

LOT767-300ER

Sat Feb 24, 2001 10:11 am

BA any day!

V1-Rotate

Sat Feb 24, 2001 1:35 pm

BA.
Just flown "Upper"....AVERAGE!
BEDS-I don't think so ,30 degree angle ,feet under the pax in front!!
MASSAGE-Pah,woken up for a 10 mins max "cos the 1 girl was too busy!!!
Plus I was 3 hr delayed!
Gimmicks do not make the airline as good as you all seem to think.
Give me BA Club anyday!!!.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Feb 24, 2001 5:49 pm

I do say that BA's WOrld Tails were good. If only that cow Magaret Thatcher didn't keep going round with her handbag and box of tissues!

DatamanA340

Sat Feb 24, 2001 9:09 pm

I haven't fly on any of them. But I prefer VS, cause it holds Airbus long-haulers. When I cannot choose, I won't avoid BA, cause many people love it.

englandair

Sat Feb 24, 2001 10:25 pm

I've never flown BA. I have no intention of ever flying with BA. Despite the fact that I live on LHR's doorstep I won't ever apply to work for them. And I'll be the first to crack open the champagne when they eventually crumble for one simple reason- They're bullies.

OK the world of aviation is a competitive one, but BA just used their size against every other British carrier and swollows most of em up into 'franchises'.

NO WAY BA.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Feb 24, 2001 11:59 pm

Well doene Englandair. I agree with you totally

Also they should give up their "MONOPOLY" on LHR by giving slots to the US to airlines like Singapore Airlines! and bmi

V1-Rotate

Sun Feb 25, 2001 1:09 pm

Yeah,nice one Englandair.....never flown on them,have limited knowledge of them,and yet you know everything!
Your user profile AGE,shows you for what you are..........CHILDISH!
How can you slag an airline you have no knowledge of?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sun Feb 25, 2001 5:54 pm

Oh just because he's young, he know nothing. Pitthle! I knew this was gonna come out sooner or later. He has the ptotential and could actually know more about it than you. Have you flown with BA?

But that just shows how BA;s reputation speaks for itself.

However, I'll ginve it some credit before you blast me of "discounting" of everything that BA does. Their Club World is innovative and is a leading light (although people say it's cramped and only 6ft long)

Voilà Heurex?

englandair

Sun Feb 25, 2001 8:09 pm

Oh ofcourse, I remember now; because I'm young I'm obviously stupid, immature and have no idea what I'm talking about. I beg your pardon.
But remember that I'm not the one who's making assumptions, being 'ageist' and launching personal, bitchy attacks.

Who says I have a limited knowlage on BA? Who says I claim to know everything?

How dare you tell me what I do and don't know?!!

I think it's YOU who needs to grow up.

My fondest regards,
Jamie.

deltairlines

Mon Feb 26, 2001 2:02 am

British Airways, I have always had excellent service from them.

Jeff