imkeww

NW *WAS* The First To Offer PTVs!

Sun Feb 25, 2001 8:49 am

From the World Airline Entertainment Association site.

http://www.waea.com

-First Regularly Scheduled Inflight Movie: In 1961, TWA aired "By Love Possessed," starring Lana Turner and Efrem Zimbalist Jr., on Flight 40 (Boeing 707) from New York to San Francisco.

-First Non-U.S. Carrier Showing Regularly Scheduled Inflight Movies: In May 1962, Pakistan International introduced its inflight movie service.

-First Inflight Personal-Screen Video Unit Tested: In June 1988, Northwest conducted first test.

-First interactive Video-On-Demand entertainment system installed on an entire aircraft: In January 1997 on Swissair.

imkeww

RE: NW *WAS* The First To Offer PTVs!

Sun Feb 25, 2001 8:50 am

This is back in the day when NW *cared* about offering in-cabin customer amenities!

imkeww

Sun Feb 25, 2001 8:51 am

Just wanted to say I don't completely dislike NW. Their new DTW terminal is turning out grrreat!

Okay, I'm out for the day. Play nice, childwun!

-imk

nwa747-400

Sun Feb 25, 2001 9:33 am

Northwest does care about customers...ie NW clearly 1st in the DOT audits of customer service commitments.

The onboard service has improved a lot and I think will only get better with the new CEO!

Sun Feb 25, 2001 9:47 am

Yes they definetly care about their passengers. After being hit in the head by a piece of luggage falling out of a overhead bin during takeoff, they offered me a 250 MILE fq mileage coupon. Since I'm not a NW frequent flier member, these were not useful to me. However, I was thoroughly impressed by their obvious "care" (errr..... yeah right) for me. Oh, and 10 minutes before landing in MSP (more than 3 and a half hours after leaving SFO) they offered my some ice... how nice of them.

Note: The falling piece of luggage did not cause any life threatening injuries.