VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Airline Training In Australia?

Sun Feb 25, 2001 12:07 pm

I am owndering why it is that some major Asian airlines such as SIngapore Airlines, China Southern, and Cathay, have training colleges in Australia

e.g. Jandakot:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Craig Murray

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © David Knudsen

and Adelaide, where i jst read Cathay have a traing operation. Why is it that these airlines do training in Australia, and not their home countries? Also, what other airlines (other than Australian/NZ/Small Pacific Island ones, of course!) do their training in Australia?
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

RE: Airline Training In Australia?

Sun Feb 25, 2001 3:04 pm

The main reason why Singapore Flying College (the training arm of Singapore Airlines) is that Perth has reasonably uncongested airspace. We also have a training unit of the Republic of Singapore Air Force based at RAAF Pearce (about 2 kms away from my house) where they use S.211s. We also get the Learjets of Singapore Flying College down here on a regular basis as well.

China Southern is based in Merredin, which is in the wheatbelt a couple of hundred kilometres east of Perth. In Merredin there is NO traffic, so they have the skies to themselves out there.

Cathay would have chosen Adelaide because of their uncongested airspace as well.

Cathay Pacific, Dragonair, South African Airways, China Airlines and China Xinhua Airlines also train at British Aerospace in Adelaide http://www.aac.com.au/

I think that Air Nippon does some jet training (A320s) out of Avalon Airport in Victoria.

So, the answer to your question is that some of our cities have uncongested airspace, when compared to their home countries (i.e. Singapore and Hong Kong), and that our standard of living is high or higher when compared to the home country as well (the standard of living was given as a MAJOR reason when the RSAF moved some jet training to Pearce).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos