US Warplane Buzzes BA 777!

Sun Feb 25, 2001 9:15 pm

Again an incident which involves US Military!

http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/02/25/stinwenws01014.html

Regards
Alexander Holst
Helsinki, Finland
ICQ 94604005

RE: US Warplane Buzzes BA 777!

Sun Feb 25, 2001 9:21 pm

Well, all ended safely, that is the main thing.

I find BA's reaction rather amusing "displeasure". Big grin

Oh, I say, we do like to be posh don't we Big grin

Mon Feb 26, 2001 1:28 am

Did this incident happen over British skies? If so, the aircraft was probably an F-15 based at RAF Lakenheath.

galaxy5

Mon Feb 26, 2001 1:41 am

read the article and find out where it happened. it was prob an F-16
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

USAFHummer

Mon Feb 26, 2001 1:44 am

"The jet, of unknown make, was conducting manoeuvres from the Oceana US Navy base in Virginia"

It was undoubtedly USN F-14's, a lot of squadrons of F-14's are based at Oceana...
Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Mon Feb 26, 2001 1:50 am

Additionally, I can assure you that many potential conflicts between military and civilian a/c occur over British airspace as well; in Britain, it has usually been the AF a/c which have strayed into civilian airspace.

And it is usually a case of AF aircrew becoming lost! Big grin

N.B. AF=Air Force

Mon Feb 26, 2001 2:44 am

This is bollox.

"...a Boeing 777, had taken off from Charlotte airport in South Carolina last Tuesday."

Those limey bastards don't know the difference between South and North Carolina? The Sunday Times is a respectable paper no?

dissapointed in the bloody brits,
russ

Smile

Scotty

Mon Feb 26, 2001 5:33 am

Last week a CAA report came out about an airmiss between a Gill Air Shorts 360 and an RAF Tornado near NCL.

Re the 777 incident, maybe the USAF were checking it out to see if it was Iranian before giving it the ol' "Fox 1" treatment.

Wink/being sarcastic

andreas777

US Wargames....

Mon Feb 26, 2001 6:09 am

Just a couple of weeks after a US nuclear submarine sinks a japanes fisching school boat, the Air force almost crashes a civil airliner.....!!!!!
Doesn't anuyone think that something is wrong ?? and that action should be taken ro avoid such incidents or accidentsto happen again....
The make of the fighter jet or the place of the accident dont really matter now do they.... the fact is that the US Army.. navy and air force are playing war games in civilian air space/waters..... this is totally unacceptable and would never be heard of in Europe... i am not syaing that incidents dont happen but this is unacceptable...
And also dont forget what happened to TWA 800.. even if it wasn t shot down dont forget that some kind of exercice/war game was taking place just next to the busiest airspace in the world!!!!!!!!!!!
And what about the Iran Air Airbus that was shot down by the USS Vincennes??? (ok this was long time ago but still...)

Andreas

cicadajet

RE: US Wargames....

Mon Feb 26, 2001 6:25 am

while mistakes will happen, those are all fair points Andreas777. A worse incident than this occured when US military jets deliberately pursued Air Americas 727 between Puerto Rico and NY (JFK) not long after the TWA 800 incident. IN that case civilian and military ATC were in contact and still took considerable time to resolve, resulting in 727 having to make severe descent. As for the TWA 800, i obviously cannot know what happened, but two civilian air crews said they saw missle, as did Air National Guard C-130 pilots who had experience seeing what missle launches actually look like. And of course there were no military ships in area, then there was one, then there were two, then there were 3 ....  Insane

USAFHummer.............

Mon Feb 26, 2001 6:29 am

Have you EVER been to Naval Air Station Oceana? You are forgetting there are well over 100 F/A18 Hornets based out of there. So, I ask you, what makes you so sure it was an F14?

advancedkid

RE: US Wargames....

Mon Feb 26, 2001 6:47 am

Maybe they thought the BA777 is one of their
collegues who strayed from their formation!?
I it is hard to believe that in 1988 the US-
naval ship Vincennes crew mistook an Airbus
A-300 for an Iranian F-14 Tomcat and shot
down that airliner. Were these Navy marshals
who ordered the shoot down ever charged with
murder of about 280 inconcent souls before an international court?
Weren't they decorated for their heroic mistake?
Looks like the US forces can get away with
almost any fatal error they make with an excellent
excuse. After all who can judge or question the
mightiest power in the world. May God bless the USA
and forgive US our sins. Amen
regards,
Advanced

dfleet7

Mon Feb 26, 2001 6:48 am

just one question, since when was charlotte in south carolina? maybe I am wrong but since I live only a few hours away from charlotte north carolina, you would think that I would know.
I just checked... there is no charlotte south carolina!
Drew

Mon Feb 26, 2001 7:03 am

I have emailed The Times about the Geographical error.
It is simply unacceptable for a Newspaper of their standing to make such a basic error.

Apologies on their behalf.

I assure you we are not all geographically challenged in the UK.

galaxy5

Mon Feb 26, 2001 7:12 am

are you guys saying that the US military shouldnt fly aircraft in their own airspace for training. are you saying the military shouldnt train at all. what about when civil aircraft have near misses do we just ground all aircraft and let none of them fly. lets get real now. and by the way the airspace they where flying in was US airspace protected by the US airforce and the US navy. so who are you to say they shouldnt be flying there ya MORON

galaxy5

Mon Feb 26, 2001 7:13 am

are you guys saying that the US military shouldnt fly aircraft in their own airspace for training. are you saying the military shouldnt train at all. what about when civil aircraft have near misses do we just ground all aircraft and let none of them fly. lets get real now. and by the way the airspace they where flying in was US airspace protected by the US airforce and the US navy. so who are you to say they shouldnt be flying there ya MORON

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos