jfidler

Double-Chaining FF Miles?

Mon Feb 26, 2001 3:07 pm

I hope this is the proper forum -- none of the others seemed appropriate.

I found out 3 days ago that I need to head to London this week. I'll be flying Virgin Atlantic (VS) on 744s each way, from IAD-LHR-IAD.

The problem is frequent flyer miles. I have accounts and mileage with most major US carriers, notably UA, US, DL, TW, CO. Any time I've flown other airlines, they have been partners of one of those airlines, so I can earn in one of my existing accounts. For instance, South African is a DL partner, so I just give them my DL FF number and I earn DL miles for an SA flight.

Unfortunately, Virgin doesn't have any of the airlines I listed above as partners, but it does have those airlines' partners as partners. For instance, on VS I can earn miles in an HP (America West) FF account. When I fly HP, I earn miles in my TW account because they're a partner.

So, could I earn TW miles on a VS flight, because the partnership is VS->HP->TW? Similarly, VS is partners with some of the Star Alliance airlines, like SQ, Austrian, and SAS, but not UA (where I have my account).

Hmm, would I be best off starting an SQ FF account, earning my VS miles on that, then considering it part of my UA miles, since I can combine miles from Star Alliance partners when using awards?

Justin

RE: Double-Chaining FF Miles?

Mon Feb 26, 2001 4:07 pm

Are you sure that you can combine Star Alliance points from one carrier to another when requesting a reward?

Also CO code-shares flights with VS, check to see how thier partnership works out and who knows you could maybe get CO points out of this...

bLuJaay

VirginFlyer

Mon Feb 26, 2001 5:55 pm

Air New Zealand's Airpoints will of course work with Star Alliance, and also with Virgin Atlantic and SAA... Great programme (especially for us NZers!)
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

ake0404ar

Tue Feb 27, 2001 1:30 am

Fyi....you CANNOT COMBINE Star Alliance FFM,

I called UA not to long ago and they verified that for me.

i.e. 30000 miles on UA cannot be combined with 50.000 miles on LH for a 80.000 miles C-class ticket.

Vasco

jfidler

Tue Feb 27, 2001 8:53 am

Thanks for the advice. While it CO might code-share with VS, it appears I can't earn CO miles on a VS flight, based on this page on CO's site:

http://www.onepass.com/partners.htm

Hmm, I guess I might have to write off this one. Or maybe I'll join VS's club and hope I fly them in the future.

Justin

TWA902fly

Tue Feb 27, 2001 9:11 am

The Star Alliance thing is easy you guys. Just put your LH flights into a UA account. It works. I have DL miles in my UA account. LH miles go into your account. Do not have accounts with different Star members, but just the one you fly most often, then you can put all the other ones into the same occount.

-TWA902fly
Chicago Illinois
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos