World's 1st Aboriginal Pilot In Taiwan

Wed Feb 28, 2001 4:31 pm

Just saw this report from Taiwan. C.S.Chiu, who is a aboriginal in Taiwan (C.S.Chiu belongs to Pai-Wan group, Taiwan got 9 aboriginal groups) was certified from Taiwan's CAA to became a captain to fly China Airlines' B747-200.

Chiu, who is 49 years old, (his mother is the head of the group's divison) joined Taiwan's army in his early days, because of few coincidence, he became a pilot of helicopter in navy. After he retired from the army, he became a helicopter pilot for an airline (which I believe the company has shut down already). In 1991, he joined China Airlines as a co-pilot in CI's 747 fleet. Last month, he passed the test for become a 747 Captain, certified by CAA.

Chiu also quote that he might be the first aboriginal to became a 747 Captain in the world. When he told his mom (80 years old) about this news, his mother was confused and ask "aren't you a captain already?, which his mom have no clues the disguintion between a "Captain" and a "Pilot"...

Sounds a great news.  Smile

And...

Wed Feb 28, 2001 4:33 pm

Because of Chiu became a Captain in 747 fleet in Taiwan's largest airline. This became a major event for Pai-Wan group, which Chiu said that they might have tons of celebration when he arrived his home town in Pingtung (in southern Taiwan)

chiawei

RE: World's 1st Aboriginal Pilot In Taiwan

Thu Mar 01, 2001 4:55 am

He is actually not the 1st. Because EVA Air has already has a aboriginal pilot in their MD-11.

RE: World's 1st Aboriginal Pilot In Taiwan

Thu Mar 01, 2001 8:19 am

Yeah I understand why his grandmother may be confused between captain and pilot  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Even I get that way sometimes.