News For Turbojet Fans!

Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:52 am

I see that the CV-880 restoration project is selling off an straight turbojet engine to help pay for the project. Anybody who can't get enough of one, and who really hates their neighbors can have one in their front yard. Or if they want their car to go REAAALLY fast!

http://www.convair880.com/880parts.html

j

flight152

RE: News For Turbojet Fans!

Fri Mar 02, 2001 8:54 am

That would look great on my front lawn it may melt the siding on my house though. My neightbors would love me for it. LOL

Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:55 am

I am confused. You think that turbojet fans actually read this message board? I thought only the turbines read it...

Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:23 am

Hmmm...I wonder what this would look like on top of my car...

Perhaps an afterburner to boot?  Smile

XFSUgimpLB41X

Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:27 am

I bet that thing would make one heck of a convection oven....
Chicks dig winglets.

AerLingus

Fri Mar 02, 2001 2:26 pm

Now THAT would be away to take care of the leaves come autumn!
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:07 pm

Hey how about using it as a snow blower or better yet, a community hair dryer?

cicadajet

Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:48 pm

well if they get this off the ground, it will be the first civilian jet airliner saved as a flying example won't it? That would be quite an accomplishment. All these warbirds but no one attempting to secure and preserve a flyable Comet, Caravelle, or even 707 or DC-8 until it is almost (or is perhaps) too late. I hope these guys can pull it off.

tom

Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:38 pm

...You guys are killin' me! Nice visuals...

csavel

Mon Mar 05, 2001 10:53 am

Just curious.
Their website states that,
"8483H then set another record at which it still holds from LGA to FLL of 1 hour, 43 minutes gate to gate, which was set in 1962. "

I was surprised that four engine jets (C880's, 90's DC-8s 707s) ever flew out of LGA. Can anyone enlighten me?

I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

cicadajet

Mon Mar 05, 2001 2:26 pm

I certainly did not see ANY DC-8s or 707s at LGA during the 60s or 70s, so I rather doubt 4 engine jets flew there - however I can't say that I know the Convair jets runway needs and there were not many of these planes, so I can't say it never happened. One person actually posted to a forum comprised of airline foamers that a relative informed him a 747 landed at LGA during the very early days of practices or PR or something like that. I found this very hard to believe..but no one contested it, so who knows?

Art at ISP

Mon Mar 05, 2001 11:50 pm

I can assure you all that a 747 NEVER landed at LGA. The runways are built on pylons into the water, and they are seriously weight restricted, and could never hold the weight.

There were also never any DC-8's or 707's at LGA--the runways were and still are much too short to accomodate such aircraft--they had balanced field length requirements of 9000-11000 feet depending on weather and model, and the runways at LGA are only 7000 feet long.

The largest aircraft to use LGA were DC-10-10's and L-1011-1's. The L-1011 is still an occasional visitor via DL. These are severely weight restricted, and are therefore limited to short range flights.

Regards

Art at ISP

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos