ChickenOrBeef
Topic Author

Can Tom Hanks Really Survive?

Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:55 am

Can Tom Hanks really survive the crash in " Cast Away " ? It seems to me thats impossible ... BTW , did FedEx sponsored the movie ? There were lots of shots of FedEx plane ... In one sense its good for FedEX, since they got a whole lot of free " ad " time .... yet it creates some bad image because the plane crashed ...
If you are the CEO of some airline .... will you let your birds participate in some movies that will make it fall ?

COB

RE: Can Tom Hanks Really Survive?

Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:03 am

Well its more the aircraft manufacturer (e.g. Boeing) who might not want people too see their plane being destroyed (although in "Airport" for example, the 707 is shown as very good).

BTW: I would let my aircraft (Maveric intl.) be involved in a film, but it would probably be more of a war film {'nuff said}.

t>y

AerLingus

Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:44 am

At the end of the film, Hanks' ex tells him that investigators thought the accident was caused by a hazardous material on board.
This creates an image that FedEx does not keep track of what goes on board.
Of course, this is good for FedEx because it illustrates the fact that transporting volatile goods can be catastrophic.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

lewis

Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:53 am

How could he survive when the aircraft was cut to pieces. And the pilot must have been a real jerk seeing all that RED on the radar and just keep on going! How exactly was the vacum created in the cabin? I didn't see any broken windows or something! It came so suddenly that it seemed very fake. Never mind; how would they have created the plot?

Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:08 am

That's the nice thing about the 707 kid.....It can do everything but read..... Joe Patroni

AM

Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:43 am

In the movie, Tom Hanks flies in two different FedEx A300s. The first one (Moscow-Memphis) has a real A300 flight deck, but the one that crashes has a totally fake flight deck.

Now, what's exactly supposed to have caused the accident? Like Lewis says, what originated the vacuum? While watching the scene of the accident, I was looking for broken windows or a hole in the fuselage that would cause a loss of pressurization but found none.

Shortly before ditching, the Captain lowers a lever located in the upper panel, meaning that engine 1 was on fire.

Anyway, let's just remember that this is just a MOVIE. We can't expect it to be real.

What I think was a great achievement in the crash scene, is how with great realism it reproduces the atmosphere of complete horror that I imagine is experienced during an accident.

Peace!
AM

"... for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos