airmale

Why Not Hotel Airlines

Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:55 am

Can the large hotel groups like Sheraton for example run an airline Confused
.....up there with the best!

RE: Why Not Hotel Airlines

Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:03 am

Yeah! And then we can have Delta Inn and Suites! Or Airtran, your local burger joint.

In the future, maybe we will have Boeing cars, and Ford airplanes...

Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:05 am

Ok, ok...I know there was the Trimotor.

But I was thinking of "The Flying Taurus"

ren41

Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:28 am

Some hotels have charters to their popular locations.

Ren41

Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:02 pm

Until the late 80s or 1990 before Pan Am has its turn, the company used to own the largest hotel chain, the Intercontinental Hotel. I think they sold it for around $500 million to another company. today Japan Airlines own the hotel chain, Hotel Nikko. There are probably many airlines that own hotels around the world but for sure I know that ANA have a ANA Hotel in Washington D.C. and Thai Airways Int'l. owns the Amari Hotel in Bangkok.

Giantjets...

ryu2

Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:08 pm

National Airlines is heavily subsidized by the Las Vegas hotels; one could consider them more or less a "hotel" airline.

Superfly

Fri Mar 02, 2001 1:55 pm

Blackstar Airlines will be based out of Las Vegas and will operate 747 classics!  Big thumbs up

They will have prenty of room to make hotel accomodations in those great jets!
Bring back the Concorde

UPS Pilot

Fri Mar 02, 2001 2:30 pm

I can see it now. "Air Motel Six"  Smile They will rent out the sleeper cabins in quarter hour intervals.  Smile

I can't beleive I just said that!

northwest 777

Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:58 pm

What about CityBird? Isn't that airline run by a hotel chain?

flying lsd

Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:03 pm

yes citybird is a sister company from cityhotels belgium
which approximaty 12 hotels in Belgium and USA

airmale

Fri Mar 02, 2001 7:38 pm

What i meant was can they operate as "Sheraton Airlines" Smile

Fri Mar 02, 2001 8:06 pm

United was owned by the Pritzker family (which also owns Hyatt); Penta is owned by a group of airlines including Lufthansa and Swissair; Sabena has its own chain of hotels; Aer Lingus owns Copthorne Hotels (formerly owned by British Caledonian); Voyager Group (owner of Virgin Atlantic) also owns some very upmarket hotels, including Necker Island; SAS has the Radisson group .... and so on

Braniff727

Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:48 pm

Actually, United was not owned by Pritzker, it was Braniff 2. Pritzker started Braniff 2 in 1984, then sold it in '87 I believe. He sold it to a group of investors with a buch of Piedmont guys who were looking for a job after then USAir bought their airline out. They then succeeded in running the airline into the ground, but that's a whole other thread.

Also KLM owns a large stake in the Golden Tulip hotels.
Climbing

AY-MD11

Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:56 pm

There is Radisson SAS hotel in Helsinki.

Big thumbs up
AY-MD11

Sat Mar 03, 2001 4:54 am

Yeah, Neil your a little off on this one.

The big Chicago business family, the Pritzkers own all the Hyatt brands (Grand Hyatt, Park Hyatt, Hyatt Regency etc...) in addition to owning the Best Inns, Microtel Inns, and Hawthorne Suites brands. Pritkers did own Braniff 2 (with the white and maroon A320s), but got rid of it.

United has never been associated with a hotel chain.

As mentioned, Pan Am owned Inter-Continental hotels, but sold it. It is now owned by Holiday Inn parents Bass Lodging Group in Atlanta (a subsidiary of the British firm Bass PLC).

At one time, Hilton International and TWA were owned by the same firm, but TWA was spun off and Hilton International was acquired by Ladbrooke in England. Ladbrooke has since been renamed Hilton International and is not related to the US firm Hilton Inc. based in Beverly Hills, CA.

SAir group owns the Swissotel chain, but most hotels (including the DC and NY properties) are franchised and owned by an American REIT called Doral (formerly MeriStar).

SAS owns a piece of the SAS Radison Group which is a joint venture between the Scandinavian airline and the Mineapolis based parent of Radison: Carlson Companies. Few of the actual SAS Radison Hotels are owned by Carlson, but the brand is.

JAL owns the Hotel Nikko brand, which has a very limited presence in the US. The former Essex House in NYC, which was a Nikko is now owned by Starwood and operated as a Westin.

ANA owns ANA Hotels, also very few of which are located stateside.

Turkish Airlines owns the very large Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan.

Harrah's Entertainment is a major investor in National Airlines.

Airmale, Sheraton is a subsidiary of the US hotel giant, Starwood Lodging Group in White Plains, NY. Starwood also owns: Westin, Four Points, W, St. Regis, and The Luxury Collection.

seven_fifty7

Sat Mar 03, 2001 5:00 am

Turkish Airlines owns the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan????

Sheeeesh. That place was an expensive DUMP when my sister and brother-in-law stayed there four years ago.

They've renovated since, so I guess Turkish must've bought it right before then.

clipper001

Sat Mar 03, 2001 5:18 am

United used to own Westin and Hertz. Wasn't it Ferris who started out at Westin and then had the idea for Allegis to integrate United, Westin and Hertz?

redraider

Sat Mar 03, 2001 5:29 am

Correct, UAL did own Westin which was to be a key to the Allegis empire.

Didn't AA also run a hotel chain? I think most of the US majors either owned or were stockholders in hotel chains back in the day.
My wife can't wrestle, but you should see her box.

WorldVoyager

Sat Mar 03, 2001 10:12 am

Doesn't SAir have a hotel chain?

Swisshotel or something?

clipper001

Sat Mar 03, 2001 10:17 am

SAir Corp does own the Swissotel chain. When Canadian was Canadian Pacific Airlines and was owned by Canadian Pacific they also had Canadian Pacific Hotels. However, the hotels were originally built to complement CP's railroad operations.

Republic

Sat Mar 03, 2001 1:09 pm

Air France and Hotel Meridien used to be linked. Maybe both were state owned?

In my sophmore year of college, I worked at the receptionist desk at the Hotel Meridien in Houston. The Air France crews stayed with us. Word got out to our frequent business guests that the Air France stewardesses liked to walk around topless on the floor they were assigned, as they went to visit their co worker's room or went to the ice and soda machines. Several of our male guests would resort to begging to be assigned to this floor in the hopes of ... Needless to say, we hotel employees made frequent checks of the Air France floor every night.

Rgds,
Joe

airmale

Sat Mar 03, 2001 9:00 pm

PIA-Pakistan International Airlines own the Roosevelt in Manhattan, unless theyve sold it to Turkish Airlines now Smile

aa777flyer

Sun Mar 04, 2001 5:39 am

Actually back in the 70's American Airlines owned is own chain of hotels. "Americana" hotels as they were called. The last one was sold in the early 80's the "Ala Moana Americana" in Honolulu. I assume the chain was sold due to overall profitability as the industry was just starting to get into deregualtion, and so the theme "Fly American, Stay Americana" was permanently retired. As for now I guess the airlines would rather just do that run airlines. With the frequent traveler programs outthere it really does not seem necessary to add the additional expense of running a hotel chain as well.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

Sun Mar 04, 2001 6:00 am

The Ala Moana Palace is a first rate hotel in Honolulu. A real great place.

Azaad, your right I think its PIA, not THY who owns the Roosevelt. My mistake.

The Le Meridian chain was recently sold to one of the large British hospitality firms recently. Can't remember which one right now.

rgds
russ