a380

Predicting CX's Plan

Sat Mar 03, 2001 2:02 am

CX is buying a lot of planes now.

So I predict CX is going to restart service to mainland China soon (in addition to others)

Once HK Government relax the current rule (only 1 HK airline to each destination), CX certainly can kill KA, CA and MU on HKG-PEK, HKG-SHA etc.

kaitak

RE: Predicting CX's Plan

Sat Mar 03, 2001 5:48 am

I think there might be more to it than that; certainly CX is a better airline than CA and MU, but from what I have heard KA is very good. In any case, the competition may be counter-productive; KA flies to quite a few Chinese destinations, is now a known name and can feed traffic efficiently to CX's routes, particularly to TPE.

Also, don't forget that the Chinese government will have a say in this.

I think (and hope) it's far more likely for both airlines to stick with what they're good at. That said, I do see KA expanding its reach.

As to CX's expansion plans, the 346 order effectively gives the plot away; that's only the trickle that will lead to a flood. There'll be quite a few more where that came from and in time, I could see them replacing the A340-300s (I'm talking end of decade here).

By then of course, the A380 will certainly be in the fleet.

MAS777

RE: Predicting CX's Plan

Sat Mar 03, 2001 6:44 am

Cathay Pacific has just announced that it is going to further boost services into Malaysia by increasing flights to Penang and Kuala Lumpur. This comes only a few months after MAS and CX agreed to code-share on all their HKG-PEN and HKG-KUL services.  Smile