TOP 29 Of Very Poor Liveries

Sat Mar 03, 2001 11:03 am

Poor airline liveries are to my opinion:
Camaroon Airlines, Biman Bangladesh, Aces Colombia, Air Caladonie, Air Europa, Air Pacific Fiji, Air Zimbabwe, Ethiopian Airlines, ATA, Binter Canarias, Cayman Airlines, Cubana, DRUK Air, Eurocypria Airlines, Japan Air Commuter, MEA, Nouvelair Tunesie, Volare Airlines, PGA-Portugalia, Polynesian, RIO-SUL, Regional Airlines, Skywest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, TAAG Angola Airlines, TACV Cabo Verde Airlines, Tyrolean etc.

Do you agree?

airmale

RE: TOP 29 Of Very Poor Liveries

Sat Mar 03, 2001 9:15 pm

YES! Smile
.....up there with the best!

sushka

Sat Mar 03, 2001 9:21 pm

you forgot delta
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

deltairlines

Sat Mar 03, 2001 10:21 pm

Delta livery is the best! You can throw AA on that list though, ANA, Alitalia, etc. on. How come SkyWest is on there though? SkyWest is a Delta and United commuter partner, with planes in the UA and DL colours.

Jeff

Sat Mar 03, 2001 10:23 pm

I disagree with Aces Columbia, their A320 scheme is pretty sharp

kmia

Sat Mar 03, 2001 10:53 pm

you forgot Southwest  Smile

airmale

Sat Mar 03, 2001 11:06 pm

Air Algerie, Royal Air Maroc, Tunis Air, Uzbekistan Airways...........endless Smile
.....up there with the best!

airlineguy

Sat Mar 03, 2001 11:18 pm

ATA...I love that livery. Whats wrong with it?
I think Emery livery could use some work.

englandair

Sun Mar 04, 2001 12:08 am

I'm shocked!
Uzbekistan and TAAG are beauties IMO!

xxzz123

Sun Mar 04, 2001 12:50 am

Personally I think that the new BMI (ex British Midland) scheme is dreadful. The last livery was smart - this new one looks effeminate (no offence to the ladies out there)

Bill.
Bilbo

MEA

Sun Mar 04, 2001 12:54 am

Hey, what's wrong with MEA's livery?

DTW/ORD Fan!

Sun Mar 04, 2001 1:23 am

You can add TWA's OLD liverey to that list. I love their new one, though. Sad to think it may not be around much longer.
Personally, I love AA's and Delta's liveries! Delta's is proffesional, and clean!
And, if AA keeps it's planes shiney and clean, thier planes are a glimmering bullet of beauty.

WiLdmanVzla

Sun Mar 04, 2001 1:29 am

The ACES Colombia livery looks nice in an A320... but anyway, that's your opinion!!!!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

(Have you watch it in person?)

... but for me the WORST has to be this one

Click for large version

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

WHAT A BORING!!!!!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

englandair

Sun Mar 04, 2001 1:46 am

I love the new BMI British Midland livery and hate the Aces one.

Just goes to show that you can't please everyone!

OO-VEG

Sun Mar 04, 2001 2:05 am

Air India, after they removed those beautifull painted windows I hate that color scheme

krisair747

Sun Mar 04, 2001 3:59 am

American has to have the worst. They are in need of a new livery
Open your heart and push the limits

deltairlines

Sun Mar 04, 2001 4:06 am

American's ex-Reno planes look good with the white background, while the polished skin planes are ugly.

Jeff

Zander

Sun Mar 04, 2001 4:42 am

Why Biman??
I think it looks quite nice with the red and green cheatline.

VirginFlyer

Sun Mar 04, 2001 11:30 am

And why Air Calédonie? I love their livery! The one used in the late 80's and early 90's on the Caravelle and 737 was the best (with the gold cheatline coming from the Hibiscus)

Click for large version

Photo © Brian Wilkes

But the current one is not bad at all:

Click for large version

Photo © Anton Pettersson

Click for large version

Photo © Eric Phan

"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

chepos

Sun Mar 04, 2001 11:43 am

SAS SAS Thats all I have to say . I know its your opinion but how can you put Aces which in my opinion is very nice and not put The new Delta c/s and El AL new c/s or the worst of them all SAS .
Chepos
Puerto RICO\
As the majority of you must notice Im a fan of the cheatline.
Fly the Flag!!!!

airnewzealand

Sun Mar 04, 2001 12:05 pm

Why don't you guys get over the worst Liveries that Airlines have and write something positive about them. Like Polynesian airlines Livery is like that at it is a symbol of their Country. The blue wavy lines down the Side represent the Sea which is Crystal Blue, The colours on the tail represent The Sun, sand, trees and people. The Cocnut tree is known all around the Pacific, so in my opinion this is a Very good Livery. Liveries that have meaning are got!!

Cheers
mikey

RE: DeltAirlines, You're Right And Not

Sun Mar 04, 2001 5:11 pm

Dear Jeff,

I'm sorry that I put Skywest on my list. I had still the old scheme in my file. Thanks for updating me.

Although I do not like the polished metal aircraft of AA, with now and than a grey composite piece in between, I cannot say it is one of world's poor schemes.

Norbert

RE: Bluridge And Aces

Sun Mar 04, 2001 5:16 pm

Aces has good housestyle elements but the aircraft paintscheme and especially their typefacing/layout is not finetuned and balanced yet, I may say at the moment the scheme is "disturbing" for the eyes.

RE: Airlineguy: ATA Logo Is Very Poor

Sun Mar 04, 2001 5:24 pm

ATA has some elements in its livery which are attractive but the ATA-logo is soo poor and clumsy that it completely spoils the colourscheme and qualifies the scheme as very poor.

Sun Mar 04, 2001 5:29 pm

UNITED HAS THE WORST! Could I ask you guys sometyhing, what is so bad about Delta new new livery? I still don't get it. SOuthwest's new livery is AMAZING!

RE: MEA About MEA

Sun Mar 04, 2001 5:33 pm

The tree of MEA is very good. The best they ever had, I agree. But the fuselage is soo poor and the typefacing of "MEA" is wrong, too big/cheap. The text "MEA" on the fuselage does not perceive the quality MEA actually has in house. Pitty, they could have better and I will try to work on that...

RE: WiLdmanVzla And Luxair

Sun Mar 04, 2001 5:46 pm

What about Luxair. Did you ever see the livery in real. I did and indeed it is very boring. Especially the colour greenish blue, it made me very sad and cold. The black typefacing of "Luxair" and the logo are outdated. I'll re-introduce myself. Did you notice their Embraer 145's: soo poor scheme with a very cheap choosen "Eurojet" tpefacing. Time for a change an to re-introduce myself.
Personnaly I think, with the new Luxor president (former VLM Airlines managing director) C. Heinzman, Luxair will change within few years.

Luxemburg is a tiny, very nice and political very stabil and calm country but to my experiences also very boring sometimes. I have been there often for holidays.

RE: UAL Is Not The Worst

Sun Mar 04, 2001 6:07 pm

United has not the worst colourscheme. It is balanced and sophisticated. I know a lot of people do not like the dark colours which make the aircraft heavy and somehow muddy. But this doesn't mean that it is a very bad livery. I was very surprized with the new Southwest livery: I've to get used to it because the colour combination is very weird. You know, sometimes colourschemes can be soo ugly that I'm going to like them. Strange isn't it?

MEA

Sun Mar 04, 2001 6:09 pm

Air Orange, what do you mean by you will try to work on that?

Sun Mar 04, 2001 11:51 pm

1. ATAs livery is much better than their older one, their logo is very good, and party like.
2.PGA has a good patriotic Livery, better than TAPs.
3.MEAs Livery needs a bit of colours, but the tree is good
4.United could do with a tad lightening of the body
5.no one has mentioned Monarch- thats needs a lift, from the grey base, yellow and black cheatline.

BY757

caribb

Mon Mar 05, 2001 1:36 am

Ethiopian's livery is a genuine classic.. like Varig's old look (that was better than their current).. I think it looks pretty good compared to a lot of the bland cost cutting white fuselage looks of today. It's colourful and dynamic.. and the lion looks cool too.
But that's just my opinion.

Pendrilsaint

Mon Mar 05, 2001 6:04 am

I think United should have stuck with the original colours and worked it up from its 70ish 80ish style...the friendship colors could still be workable in this day and age...

no1racer

Mon Mar 05, 2001 7:41 am

There is one that you are forgetting. The Nigeria Airways scheme looks terrible, and the Macedonian and old Aeroflot schemes need work. Also, some of the old CAAc airliners look too simple and uncreative. Also TAAG Angola could be a little better.

Mon Mar 05, 2001 8:11 am

Forgot to mention Korean... that blue is nasty looking!

l'espace180

Mon Mar 05, 2001 8:58 am

Thank you for not being stupid enough by puting AF in it !
I can't understand your "boring" livery affair. This means absolutly nothing ! The livery is here to make the costumer have a good impression when they see the a/c. So you are saying that if it has a lot of ugly colors (ie. UAL) it won't be boring ans so it will be good ? Oh well I don't find the SIA c/s great. OK, that doesn't mean it is because there are no colors !

caribb

Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:27 pm

L'Espace 180 - I thnk a lot of people call certain liveries "boring" because they lack imagination, originality and colour. Air France was the first to introduce the "white body fuselage" look. That was original and imaginative at the time. It was also more than 25 years ago in the 1970s. Today many airlines, too many airlines, have their version of it (Garuda, Lufthansa, Air Canada, British Airways, South African, Air Afrique, Ansett, Air New Zealand, Swissair etc) thereby becoming repetative, common place and unoriginal. Their logos and tails may be excellent (SA, AC, AF, GA) but it may not be enough to carry the look in it's entirety.

Other carriers have come up with dynamic new unique looking liveries (Northwest, Lan Chile), beautiful retro looks (American's Astrojet, Air Canada's "Trans Canada" 60th anniversary livery), speciality paint jobs (Air Canada's Raptor livery, Hawaiian's "lady", Bangkok Air's Tropical colours, SIA's Tropical Winds), classic schemes that hold their own over time (American, Air india, Ethiopian, KLM) or just plain new and original images (Virgin Atlantic, China Airlines). These are less "boring" because we see them repeated less often, are sometimes more colourful and innovative and are unique in their own way.

All that being said it still helps to update them once in a while so they don't become tired. Air France, American, Iberia, Alitalia, Olympic & KLM have been flying the same image for decades. It's interesting to see people attack Iberia & Alitalia for being old and tired looking while defending American as being a classic. It may have more to do with one's nationality but also how we perceived the image. A good paint job goes a long way for a carrier in gaining respect and global attention.

airnewzealand

Mon Mar 05, 2001 5:31 pm

Thanks For the Post, AIR Orange.

I appericiate you clarifying what you mean about Polynesians SCHEME.!!

Anyways, if you want a bad livery it has to be Air NewZealands andd Qantas's old Liveries. They are Just disgusting!!

There new liveries are just great though!!

Cheers
mikey

Thu Mar 08, 2001 1:31 am

I don't really know where to put El-Al's new color scheme, but surely among the top 29 very poor liveries.

Their old one remains for me THE ultimate livery, it was so beautiful!

VirginA340

Thu Mar 08, 2001 2:30 am

Delta's sceme looks nice on the tail but there is too much white space!!!! For god's sake atleast add a cheatline like the previous two. I will not by a Delta wide body model in the new scheme because of it being too white like Euro carriers. PAN AM's 747-100 and 200 in the billboard logo. Again too much white space. Looked half way decent with the old cheatline but then they starteds to go down the tubes. PAN AM billboard scheme looks great on a 727-200, 737s, A320s and other narrow bodied aircraft because the billboard scheme covers the fusalage in where it looks on a 747 is too plain at the fusalage after the rear after the wings. AA should experiment with the retro livery on a 777 before going back to it with all their aircraft. Looks more sleek and better than the red, white and blue paint scheme across the windows.
"FUIMUS"

Thu Mar 08, 2001 4:10 am

I like Korean's livery and I don't think that sky blue color is "nasty looking." That blue really compliments thier MD11's and they look stunning climbing out in the blue skies.

Thu Mar 08, 2001 4:26 am

I agree-I like Korean's blue. I don't know about ugliest liveries, but the follwing are some of my favorite:

Royal Jordanian
Royal Brunei
SAS (old one..did they get a new livery??)
Singapore Airlines
Thai Airways
Saudi Arabian Airlines

I think about it for those I LOVE. the others...eh. I dont find one airline from the UNited States to have a livery that I love-NW's isnt that bad, neither is ATA.

Superfly

Thu Mar 08, 2001 4:59 am

Air Orange
All the liveries you listed in your topic are fine.
Ethiopian Airways has a great looking livery!

Focus only on the white bodies with painted tails.

Contenintal
Sabena
Air France

Click for large version

Photo © James Richard Covington, Jr

This is disgusting
Bring back the Concorde

VirginA340

Thu Mar 08, 2001 6:34 am

Superfly; To me CO would rate marginal considering that they actually paint the underbelly in which DL and PA didn't and used polished metal. After awhile the polish will faded and look disgusting and will give me a negative impression of the airline. I still think that CO is way too plain. I did like their millenium scheme on the 777-200 though. Quite good. Just look at the old DL and PA planes that the airlines don't polish with the under belly along with older AA jets and you'll see it's quite disgusting.
"FUIMUS"

RonE

Thu Mar 08, 2001 7:10 am

In my opinion, the following airlines should never have changed their colour scheme:
El-Al, British Airways, SAS, Air New Zealand, Aerolineas Argentinas, Cathay Pacific, Delta Airlines, Varig. I'm sure there are plenty more, but those are the ones which stick out like sore thumbs.

RE: Former Air New Zealand Was Better

Thu Mar 08, 2001 8:57 am

Former ANZ colourscheme was far more better than the current one. I liked their Pacific Ocean colours...beautiful!!!

RE: MEA, Please Read...

Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:04 am

As a graphic designer specializing in airlines I try to convince MEA to get more out of their colourscheme. That airline deserves better...but you'll never now, perhaps they are very lucky with the current MEA livery.

vincent32

Thu Mar 08, 2001 10:34 am

Don't forget the new El-Al, United,and Iberia.  Sad
"If it was cool to be a fool, I'd be the hippest guy around"

JAL

Thu Mar 08, 2001 1:13 pm

You forgot the new BMI livery.

The FedEx livery is also horrible!!!!

JAL and China Airlines liveries I like!!!!!
Work Hard But Play Harder

VirginA340

Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:19 am

JAL has a great logo but they painted their planes all white; How boring!!! I don't like the new SAS look. You can barely see the words on the fusalage from a distance.
"FUIMUS"

a380

Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:59 am

No one mentioned JMC? That green thing looks awful to me.