deltaflyertoo

UAL's Audio "reserved For Future Programming"

Mon Mar 05, 2001 3:40 pm

Anyone know why UAL puts "reserved for future programming" on its audio selections specifically on a number of audio channels on its Airbus a/c? The reason I ask, is that I've noticed this channel block for the past 10 years and since the first Airbus came online they have had the same 3 channels blocked for future future programming. This obviously isn't true, how many years does it take to come up w/ new programming that they would shade out several audio channels?

Anyone know?

flyua

RE: UAL's Audio "reserved For Future Programming"

Tue Mar 06, 2001 9:07 am

The "reserved for future programming" channels on several of our fleet types' audio systems has irked me for some time!
The story: in the early 90s, United introduced live inflight radio programming from USAToday newspapers, called SKY Radio. The program debuted on UA's 737-300s and -500s, then moved into some 767s and the first batch of A320s. Three channels of news, sports, and talk-variety programming was offered. The "live" programming was unique, but proved unpopular. SKY Radio went "belly-up" in January of 1995.
While the 767 and 737 fleets' audio systems were reprogrammed, over six years later the Airbus system has yet to be changed. That part of this puzzle eludes me. I wish I had asked United's manager of entertainment programming when I'd had the chance (he was on one of my flights a little while ago). Instead, all I did was complain about the lousy choice of films we always offer on our movie flights!
United is in the process of upgrading the audio system on our 747-400s. Hopefully they can work on those 3 Airbus channels when they finish!
"Deltaflyertoo:" Geesh! I thought I was the only nut who wondered about those missing channels!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos