What Are Everyone's Opinions Of Sabena?

Tue Mar 06, 2001 1:19 pm

I am deciding between Sabena and Air France from JFK to CDG (with sabena a stop in bru) in may. What opinions can you all give me about sabena? i have flown air france and I didnt really find it to be too special, plus sabena is cheaper......any opinions and/or recommendations?

no1racer

RE: What Are Everyone's Opinions Of Sabena?

Tue Mar 06, 2001 1:23 pm

Hi Nrlcd,

Since you are flying from JFK, you will probably get the MD-11 or A340-300. In my advise, take Air France because I have know more friends with luggage trouble and hard hard landings in Brussels.

Tue Mar 06, 2001 1:25 pm

actually, according to both reservations and their computer online booking, it'll be an Airbus A330-300.

lumumba

Tue Mar 06, 2001 5:30 pm

Excusse my,but if there are luggages problems it's in
paris.
You will have a nice flight .
ciao

Tue Mar 06, 2001 6:34 pm

Sabena = Such A Bloody Experience, Never Again.

Unfortunately, it's as true today as it was thirty years ago - in many ways, more so. If you're travelling on a heavily discounted ticket, SN has the practice of cancelling your reservation (happened to my colleagues on numerous occasions and at numerous stations from ANR to BJM to BJL; too many for it to be a coincidence or mere 'computer error') - and they will then offer to sell you a seat at full fare.

Rather go on a civilised airline like Virgin!

varig md-11

SN Experience And Baggage

Tue Mar 06, 2001 6:58 pm

hi
I took SN to fly CDG to COO (Cotonou,Benin) thru BRU and had a nice experience:nice flight and nice people,though I had a discounted ticket...my baggage did follow me too
oh by the way lumumba,of course the problem is in CDG as far the baggage is concerned...see, we like not to give passengers their bags back and we do it our duty to lose them between the plane and the belt...
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

The Ticketor

RE: SN Experience And Baggage

Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:31 pm

If it´s cheaper with SN and you never tried them before, this seems to be the perfect opportunity. I doubt BRU baggage handling could be worse than CDG. Not that CDG is notorious, but I dint think it's better than BRU. Give SN a try (they need your money)!

varig md-11

The Ticketor

Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:40 pm

hi
I never said CDG was better at handling baggage than BRU !! I just meant that if BRU effectively sends bags to CDG,why on earth should we find a way not to give them to passengers??
It happens that bags fall off a cart somewhere between the plane and the belt and is found 3/4 of an hour later (and it's a problem at every big hub),but generally the bag is stuck at the connecting point not at the final destination
but once again, I don't have anything against SN since my bags followed and found their service ok
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

cedarjet

Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:51 pm

I would always take the opportunity to check out a new airline. Sabena seem to be quite variable, some people I know have had great flights with them, others think they're terrible.

My Dad was to fly with them from Entebbe to Heathrow via Brussels National Airport. As the DC10 taxied onto the stand at Entebbe, there was hydraulic fluid pouring out of one of the main gears onto the tarmac. Needless to say the return flight was cancelled and Dad got home a day late after being dicked around for ages, put in a hotel at 2 am then had to be back at the airport at 6 for the replacement aircraft's departure, which was then delayed another 5 hours. He was not impressed, needless to say.

All that aside, they now have a great new fleet and think about this when you decide between Air Chance and Sabena for Paris-NY: TWO EXTRA TAKE-OFFS AND LANDINGS!! Enjoy.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

The Ticketor

RE: The Ticketor

Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:57 pm

Hey Mr. Varig, neither did I! I'm not trying to compare the baggage handling of the two airports, my point was that if you have the chance to save money and try a new carrier, you should't be put of by some perception of baggage problems at BRU, you should give it a try!

parisien

Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:05 pm

I would go for variety...especially since the flight to JFK is not that unbearably long....try Sabena, since you already flew with Air France.

lumumba

Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:12 pm

2landig's and 2 take off's for less money what do you want more?
ciao

F+ Rouge

Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:35 pm

Nrlcd,

If you take AF/Skyteam you will have the choice between 5 daily direct flights from JFK to CDG that have AF flight numbers. Two are operated by B777 two by B747-400 and one by a Delta B767-300ER (as AF 015).

Furthermore the Frequent Flyer Program Fréquence Plus is very attractive and if you are a Delta Frequent Traveller the miles will be credited there, too.

BRU is a very congested Airport and it happened to me regularly that we had to queue up for up to 30 minutes before take off. So I am afraid that your BRU-CDG flight will be delayed, too. By the way, AF started to operate this route by high speed trains (TGV) with travelling time under 2 hours. I do not know about Sabena, though.

Finally, with a direct flight you can be sure to get your luggage at your destination.

So I strongly recommend AF.

Regards,

F+ Rouge

P.S. If you really want 2 more take offs and landings (which is not really reasonable as it increases overall travelling time by 50 %) you could pass via Lyon. Then you would have a DL 767 and an AF 737.

lumumba

Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:42 pm

F+rouge you will paye big money through lyon.
ciao

rabenschlag

Tue Mar 06, 2001 9:07 pm

hi, heres a copy of a "trip-report" I posted some time ago:

I recently (september 2000) had the opportunity to compare BA and SN directly. Due to strike in brussels, my SN flight BRU-BOS was changed into LHR-BOS on a BA 777. my trip back was SN on an A330.

BA seats had more legroom and were wider than the SN seats.

No PTV in the SN-Airbus. PTV in BA-Boeing.

Eyepads, toothpaste and brush, slippers and real blanket in BA. Very thin, non-warming blanket with SN. Nothing else.

Food is about taste and therefore partially subjective. I really enjoyed the tasty spicy chicken in BA. I returned half of the pale and greasy SN-veal to the FA.

More objective differences: BA: printed menu SN: FA's mumbling menu immediately before serving. SN: everything except the veal was icy cold (bread, butter, fruit and salad). BA: everything had the right temperature. SN-Breakfast consisted of a gum-like, cold croissant.

FA's were more friendly at BA. This, of course, is a very subjective impression too.

No other differences.

Bottom line: In future, I'd prefer BA over SN. I think the better service is at least woth $100 for a transatlantic trip.

Rabenschlag.

varig md-11

M.Ticketor

Tue Mar 06, 2001 9:57 pm

excuse me if I misunderstood what you meant,and I fully agree with you when you say that if you can save money and try a new company you should do it...
thank you for your advice:once again,I already went thru BRU and tested SN and was fairly satisfied with their service to africa

RE: Ceilidth

Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:09 pm

Ceilidth,

That old thingy has GOT to be the cheapest shot you can possibly get at an airline.
I've got but one thing to say to that: hearsay, hearsay, hearsay....

What do you mean with 'get a civilized airline'?

Bicoastal

Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:42 pm

A bit off topic, but I'm tired of the Sabena deathwatch. Just shut down and sell the aircraft already! An inefficient airline with uncooperative and overpaid unions. Sabena can close. The void will be filled by more efficient airlines with better service.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

mriihi

Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:54 pm

If you hate flying then take the direct flight, but if u like planes and airports then you might want to take the risk for some possible baggageproblems. If I would be traveling always alone I would change airline all the time.

M

lumumba

RE:bicoastal

Tue Mar 06, 2001 11:08 pm

Don't by so agresive my fiend.
I it's never nice too lose an airlines.
Secoundo SABENA is not doingso badly.
It's just undercapitalized.

SR3496

Tue Mar 06, 2001 11:53 pm

Nrlcd:
Please read in the trip report forum my and Teahan's report.

I like Sabena. They are not top class. But IMO better then BA or AF.

Wed Mar 07, 2001 12:20 am

i am sorry, but I cannot seem to find your trip reports in the Trip Report section...could they perhaps be somewhere else?

SR3496

Wed Mar 07, 2001 12:42 am

Here you have a link to my short trip report:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/5435/

Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:25 am

I like Sabena, they are one of Europes oldest airlines but are now 49% owned by Swissair and have been for a few years. They are much better than they used to be and have a modern fleet of aircraft. They suffer financially but this is because of Belgian labour laws and strong unions, which is a problem, and one which Sabena is addressing.

Brussels Zaventum Airport is not congested and has more space than any other European airport and has more runways than Heathrow.

Food on board is good, generally French cuisine with bigger portions.

Give them a go, it will not be the best but value for money - I am a bit biased though as I worked for them for 4 years 1988-1991, and enjoyed travelling around on their network. They have a little bit of the old world atmosphere, mingled with New Swissair corporate ethos.

Have fun

airforum

Wed Mar 07, 2001 4:25 am

My suggestion: fly Sabena before they die!
What goes up, must come down. Let's hope the sky never went up.

Wed Mar 07, 2001 4:30 am

ok that really helped me a lot, thank you for that one. fly them before they die. ok, so withint the next couple of decades then? ok i can manage that. to all those you were SERIOUS, thank you for all your opinions. to all those who werent serious, thanks for wasting my time and the time of all those who clicked on your post expecting something valid and worthwhile.

Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:37 am

Juul - no, not hearsay - personal knowledge. I had to sort out the problems with the lost bookings of two of my colleagues; and despite the fact that I ran a regional airline in BJM that provided feed for SN to/from EBB and KGL, we couldn't get as much as an ID50 out of them. The parent company was involved in gold trading and refining, and every week we would have a courier on the flight together with 30-60 kgs of VAL cargo - which added up to a great deal of spend with SN. We dealt both with their head office in BRU and regional office in NBO - and from both we were treated with disdain and contempt. It got to the stage where we were in active discussions with CityBird to get them to operate to BJM and down to JNB using our traffic rights simply as a way of kicking SN in the balls!

SN is an awful, arrogant organisation and the sooner they curl up and die the better.

Wed Mar 07, 2001 7:39 am

ooh testy--well, I guess I wont be taking your advice too much to heart. no offense, but the last line totally threw away all of your credibility and seriousness.

Wed Mar 07, 2001 11:03 am

Nrlcd - A spend of over US$1m is bloody serious (the losses on the feeder routes plus ticket/cargo costs). If you knew anything at all about SN, you'd know that they have been on the 'critical' list for about the last 15 years - hence my remarks about wishing they would get it over with and die!

Wed Mar 07, 2001 11:14 am

obviously I didnt know anythig about Sabena or else I wouldnt have asked. and again you take away credibility from yourself with the death thing. thank you for at least attemtping to answer my question, but next time, don't be so immature "I wish they would just die" because you know, people arent going to listen to you when you spout such childish crap.

We're Nuts

Wed Mar 07, 2001 11:16 am

Reading a few posts by Sabenapilot has ruined the airline for me.
Dear moderators: No.

r347216

Wed Mar 07, 2001 11:57 am

I am a flight attendant who has positioned on both carriers on quite a regualr basis. I agree with Rabenschlag, Air France is the better airline, if not for anything else than comfort and food. I asked for a blanket on Sabena (B737) because it was freezing, they only had about 3 blankets on board and they were pathetically thin. But, to turn it around, the Sabena staff are really nice and they work hard! Have a great trip.

lumumba

Wed Mar 07, 2001 5:33 pm

Hi every body.
Please calm down you will always find somthing or a problem about an airline.
And becaus SABENA has a big African network who is very dificult don't make it more easy.
Africa is special and they have the noledge to do it.
But in an African way?
regards
ciao