DL3744
Topic Author

What Do You Think Of Southwest?

Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:37 pm

What do you think of Southwest's new color scheme?
I think it's ok, but I liked the other one better.
What about you?
Ciao
Zman

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © James Richard Covington, Jr

Click for large version

Photo © Richard Silagi

Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool

CoAir@IAH

RE: What Do You Think Of Southwest?

Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:42 pm

I too, like the other ones better.
It's just that color blue is quite sickening....Really I think they should have gone with a deeper blue.

I honestly don't know how they got canyon sunset out of that!

Tue Mar 06, 2001 11:14 pm

Actually, I received the Rapid Rewards mailer announcing the new color scheme. In it they enclosed a picture of the Grand Canyon at sunset. As shocking as it may sound, the colors were pretty close.

KROC

Tue Mar 06, 2001 11:39 pm

I really like both colors, so either way, I'm happy.

Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:14 am

I agree, both colors are fine to me. Besides, I love Southwest so much that really don't care what color the planes are. They are so much fun.

modesto2

Wed Mar 07, 2001 4:29 am

I think the old livery is ugly. I think the new one is uglier. Sorry!

Early Air

Wed Mar 07, 2001 5:41 am

I have to agree with you 100%, I think the new one is ok, but not great. I was a big fan of the old one. However, I love their new interior and hated the old one.

Rgds,
Early Air

Wed Mar 07, 2001 5:58 am

SWA seems to be making a big push to upgrade their image, and I think this paint scheme is an important part of the push. Other things they are doing, that I have seen, is pushing local parties for their 30th anniversary (inviting Rapid Rewards members, etc.), upgrading their website and inflight magazine, coming up with a new style for their reward coupons, etc. (I even received an invite to go to a Trailblazer's game!...)

As I see it, probably the majority of people in this country have no idea how big SWA is and that it has, in fact, been around for 30-years. All this image upgrading is probably a good idea, and well-timed to surround the 30th anniversary, so long as it doesn't raise ticket prices. As for the paint scheme, as much as I love LUV, I have always felt their old paint scheme was "different" from the other, more mature airlines (who lean toward silver, blue, red, and white), and with that difference seemed somehow "immature". The addition of blue is smart because, perhaps, it implies a more mature and substantial airline. When UAL went to a darker paint scheme, heavily blue, a few years ago, I think it had the same effect: it made them stand out from the other airlines (especially the failure PanAm), and look more mature.

Braniff727

Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:08 am

Personall I could never stand the old scheme. Reading the posts here, I see nothing but people complaining about "boring" paint schemes, yet everyone complains about the new WN livery.

HELLO? This is one of the most interesting paint schemes I've seen in a long time. The colors are unique, but they don't make the plane look tacky. You are seeing the plane in a picture. Just look at all of the pictures on this site of that paint scheme, you will notice that in almost every picture, it looks a different shade. Wait till you see it to judge. In any event, it's better than the "baby crap tan" they used to have.

In addition to this, their new interior is a VAST improvement over the old tan interiors.

I say way to go on improving your image.
Climbing

Wed Mar 07, 2001 11:51 am

A cheap airline getting cheaper......

New Colors: Just Plain Sucks!

Sorry

Superfly

Wed Mar 07, 2001 11:57 am

I am just glad there not white bodies with a painted tail!
Bring back the Concorde

spoiler

Wed Mar 07, 2001 12:52 pm

I think I like the 'Shamu' scheme better than the new one.

mister

Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:00 pm

I agree...the SWA color scheme old & new are terrible. I think they should focus on serving some FOOD on the flights instead of paint jobs.

Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:04 pm

I also wish the blue was a little darker on the new scheme. I like Southwest and I have flown them to seven cities. I would have to say my flights from Phoenix to Nashville had to be the longest flights I have done with them. The Shamu scheme is the best with the California and Lone Star schemes right behind.

Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:08 pm

What is up with food and WN? WHen you fly WN can't you just bring your own food on? that's what i do. it's common sense. Why do u need that nasty airline food anywy. I LOVE THE SWA NEW LIVERY!

Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:10 pm

I like the old c/s and hope they don't change any of the specialty color schemes, especially Shamu. The new c/s will surely grow on me.

Jeff in PHX

Superfly

Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:36 pm

Nothing beats this one though!  Smile

Click for large version

Photo © John P. Stewart

Bring back the Concorde

surv1

Wed Mar 07, 2001 8:50 pm

Personally, I think the new colors are great. The old (current) livery is still good, but the new one I think is colorful and pregressive. As for the service, I have had nothing but good experiences with Southwest, and I always take my own lunch on the flight. I'd rather save the big bucks on the fare, and eat peanuts and my own lunch! My $.02 worth.

KLM747

Wed Mar 07, 2001 8:55 pm

I kind of think they aren't bad, but not the best livery either. But I do like the new colorful seats inside SW.

KLM747 Big grin