jose

Grounding Md-11's

Sat May 01, 1999 6:24 am

There has been 3 md-11 accidents in less than 3 years,could they be grounded?The latest was a korean air that crashed 6 min after take off,which is still under investigation.

RE: Grounding Md-11's

Sat May 01, 1999 6:29 am

That is no reason to ground them. The MD-11's accident/incident rate or amount is relatively low actually.

AA727

Sat May 01, 1999 7:16 am

MD-11 is right. I agree with him.
3 accidents (one Fed Ex landing in Newark, one Swissair plunging into the sea off the Canadian coast and one Korean taking off somewhere in Asia) is not a reason to say the MD-11 should be grounded. The MD-11 is an unsafe plane so it should be grounded, I don't buy that. The MD-11 still has a good safety record. A lot of people, including myself, are sad about the end of the MD-11.
Have a good night.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium

Sat May 01, 1999 10:16 pm

I heard on the news that Delta is taking its MD-11's out of service with the airline because of their so called "high incident rate". Really I think the MD-11 is a great airplane, but I guess they don't want to take any more chances. Also the FAA could possibly ground them for the same reasons. Its a shame.

Sun May 02, 1999 12:16 am

What, that sounds like a load of B.S., which wouldn't really be surprising considering how rare it is for the news to say something accurate about airliners. Delta planned to replace the MD-11s long before the MD-11 came in to the media as having a high incident rate, and it doesn't even have a high incident rate. Gee, didn't the 737 have more incidents then can be counted with the fingers on one hand within a month recently, and they say the MD-11 has a high incident rate.

RE: MD-11

Sun May 02, 1999 3:54 am

MD-11, If you want to know where I heard this, it was on the Nightly News with Tom Brokaw about a month ago. Really I agree with you, I have always liked the MD-11. They are great, reliable airliners. I see no reason why the FAA and airlines should ground them.

leon

RE: MD-11

Mon May 03, 1999 10:49 am

What was the likely cause of those three incidents anyway? I didn't think that there were any similarities. I like the aircraft, but when you guys get nervous, it makes me nervous--I'm going all the way to Athens on one in July.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos